The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 10, 2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Deltadart

Browned finish Seneca

Has anyone ever done a brown finish on a Seneca? And if so what did you think of it I have a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle that I like the finish on, and I have a Seneca that I am thinking of re-bluing. But If I am going to finish the barrel, perhaps a brown finish on the Seneca might be attractive.
Old August 11, 2019, 12:17 AM   #2
Stormson

Does browning actually look bad on ANYTHING???
Old August 11, 2019, 04:33 AM   #3
Old Stony

I love the browned finish on them..but not necessarily done over real smooth metal. I think it's a lot better when done over a lightly bead blasted metal finish. I have an original Seneca myself, but think I'd rather leave it original.
Old August 11, 2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Deltadart

Completely agree the brown finish is best over a bead blasted surface. The Seneca has an oil finish on the stock now, not the original high gloss so it is not exactly original. The barrel has a slight blemish spot that is not really noticeable, other than that it is a very pretty blue. But I know it is there, it just bugs me and needs to be fixed.
Old August 11, 2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Pahoo

Might want to keep it blue, on this one !!!

Quote:
I love the browned finish on them but not necessarily done over real smooth metal.
I too like the plum-brown finish as it fits better, in that period. I do have some issues with this finish on a Seneca; even though it is still in in the spirit but not of that era. Another point to consider is that the Senecas are desirable, especially if it's a .36, but in the original finish. I have the Browning as well as Lymans that are factory brown and you are correct, the look darn good. …….

Be safe !!!
Old August 12, 2019, 07:29 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think it would look handsome.
Old August 12, 2019, 09:53 PM   #7
Deltadart

Thank you Gary, so do I.
Best Regards
Paul