The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2019, 10:49 PM   #26
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest
But the 6.5CM was doing something others .260/6.5mm rounds hadn't.
Not to wade into a pissing contest, but I fail to see were the 6.5 CM did something the 260 Remington did not do. If I recall correctly, the 260 Rem was winning comps before the 6.5 CM was a gleam in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, Remington screwed the pooch on it's intro. The 260 is a handloader's dream, and I have both. I will submit there is not a nickel's difference between them and both work well in a short action.

Nunya
Old January 23, 2019, 11:09 PM   #27
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie8 View Post
The new 6.5 CM delivers the same performance as the 6.5x55mm that has been around for over 120 years .
Plus a very long rang magic trick... involving paper.

Red
Old January 24, 2019, 03:22 PM   #28
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya53 View Post
Not to wade into a pissing contest, but I fail to see were the 6.5 CM did something the 260 Remington did not do. If I recall correctly, the 260 Rem was winning comps before the 6.5 CM was a gleam in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, Remington screwed the pooch on it's intro. The 260 is a handloader's dream, and I have both. I will submit there is not a nickel's difference between them and both work well in a short action.

Nunya
The one thing the 6.5CM does that the .260 doesn't is allow very long, very aerodynamic bullets to fit in a short action and chamber appropriately for that purpose. I'm not saying that it is better, or that it would even be my preference. I would choose the .260 every time, especially since I reload. But if you like the 6.5s and you want to shoot really far, (and those are you're only two considerations), the 6.5cm makes the most sense of those three.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 28, 2019, 04:18 PM   #29
PALongbow

Alright now I have Hornady factory ammo for the 300 PRC. Now all I need is the rifle.

Ron
Old January 28, 2019, 05:47 PM   #30
Don Fischer

I can't imagine a nich that needed filling for one heck of a long time. I'd say the last nich to be filled was the 260 Rem!
Old January 30, 2019, 09:01 AM   #31
PALongbow

I believe there are some advantages to this cartridge if you boil it down. Caliber was designed around the mag box or ground up to accept longer bullets. Also plenty of powder that burns more efficiently to push larger bullets further with increased accuracy. Bullet doesn't sit on powder. I do agree with most its another 30 caliber but there are some advantages with the 300 PRC versus whats out there today. I think the same was said about the 6.5 Creedmoor but look how its evolved.

Ron
Old January 30, 2019, 01:41 PM   #32
kilotanker22

This Cartridge would be right up my alley. The problem though, (at least for the near future) is the lack of factory built rifles that the masses can afford. Without a broad distribution, or DOD support. Its likely that it may not fail, but also may not get the attention it deserves.

I agree that this cartridge ballistically isn't terribly different than other currently produced. Although I also agree that Like the 6.5 Creedmoor. The PRC will accomplish what the 300 WM can not. Being able to load those very long, high BC 308 bullets without being as deeply seated into the case. Effectively out performing the 300 win mag (I assume slightly.) With longer bullets without being over pressure. In the same length action, or an action only slightly larger. Like the RUM Action.

The 300 PRc would definitely be something I was interested in. And I can see the advantages it has over the 300 win mag and why it would appeal to certain people... Like I said Just like the 6.5 creedmoor
Old January 31, 2019, 04:23 PM   #33
stagpanther

6.5 Creedmoor is the new Hillary's email server.

Hornady generally doesn't do junk cartridges--IMO they are tops of all the manufacturers in developing well-thought out cartridges. I reload the 375 Ruger and think it's a brilliant and versatile design; I expect it would need some neck turning work necking it down that far from a 375--so I cringe at what I imagine the roll-out factory case prices might be for the 300PRC. I guess the competition shooters will pay anything if it brings them any competitive advantage.
Old February 11, 2019, 01:40 PM   #34
PALongbow

For any of you interested....The load data for the 300 PRC is now posted to the Hornady web page (link below).

https://press.hornady.com/assets/sit...ta/300-prc.pdf

Ron
Old February 11, 2019, 02:00 PM   #35
std7mag

Tallest,

Noooo....

The action length is the same.
The Manbun just lets you load those long bullets into an AR type magazine, without intruding into the powder space.

Single feed bolt match rifle, who give a hoot about an AR magazine?
It's this realm where the 260 outshines the Manbun.

PA,
The Manbun has evolved due to advertising.
Person X decided that if you overfill it with Pixie dust, and use the magic wand barrel, you can hunt T Rex at 8 miles.
In the case of the 30 PRC, pushing a heavier bullet faster, with the increased felt recoil, is not all together inducive to better accuracy. Quite the opposite actually.
Hence why the 6mm, and 6.5mm are doing better than the 300's and 338's at long range matches.

Kilo,
Donor action, barrel.... Load and shoot.
375 Ruger parent case. Form, load, shoot.
It's not as expensive as you might make it out to be, with "lack of factory rifles". At least you can still find reasonably priced 375 Ruger casings.
Try my wildcats using the 425 WR casings!!!
Then we can talk about expense... lol

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 11, 2019, 06:33 PM   #36
PALongbow

We will see how it handles. Hart Rifles will have my 300 PRC done with in the the next two weeks or so.

Ron
Old February 11, 2019, 07:18 PM   #37
stagpanther

very interested--keep us posted. What optic are you planning on?
Old February 11, 2019, 08:45 PM   #38
std7mag

PA,
Sounds schweet!
I'm interested in optics choice also.
Keep us appraised!

I'm interested in the 7mm version. Gunwerks got with Hornady on that one. It's the 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum).

Old February 11, 2019, 09:09 PM   #39
LineStretcher

There are a few press releases on the Barrett website regarding their current progress. I think that the success of the MRAD, M107 etc will likely get Barrett the contract for the 300 PRC based rifle(s).
Old February 11, 2019, 10:19 PM   #40
std7mag

Looking back, i feel like i should reword a previous post concerning the 6.5CM.

What i should have said was that F-Class, and bolt action bench rest shooters would benefit from the increased capacity of the 260 Rem.

PRS shooters, while sometimes shooting long range, would be concerned with rounds fitting in a magazine. Hence the 6.5CM would benefit them.

Old February 12, 2019, 09:55 AM   #41
PALongbow

Bob Hart recommended a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50 for my 300 PRC. Said it was good glass and reliable. He was real happy with their products and said his customers were happy as well.

Ron
Old February 12, 2019, 02:52 PM   #42
std7mag

PA,
I can vouch for that scope!
Love mine!
Was shooting some 1,000 yard target practice with it on my custom Mauser in 284 Win last month.
Scope and rifle more accurate than me in 32 degrees with wind.
Slight shiver factor involved. Lol

Old February 13, 2019, 08:13 AM   #43
PALongbow

std7mag - Good to hear about your experience with that scope. I was a bit hesitant because I know there are better scopes available that cost a lot more. I generally put Leupolds on all my hunting rifles but since Bob recommended this scope I went with it based on his experience and feedback from his customers.

Ron
Old February 13, 2019, 08:53 AM   #44
std7mag

PA,
The STAC has tall, capped turrets. Unless i'm storing it at the house, i usually just leave them off.
There is a pop up lever on the power ring for use with gloves. I've never needed it. Some people have had issues with clearance with the bases if not back, or high enough.
I use EGW 20 MOA , one piece bases. EGW bases tend to be pretty tall. Hence even with the large objective i use Vortex Viper low rings with no clearance issues.

The reticle is MOA based, with fine cross "hairs" and a center dot.
I've heard of complaints of losing the cross hairs in low light.
I have not had this issue. And actually really like the fine crosshairs.
Even with my old prescription corrected eyes.

Eye relief is good, no issues with magnums.
Comes with a neopreme scope cover.

While it doesn't flare out as much as the Vortex scopes i've used, i did buy a sunshade for mine. $43 on Amazon.

Yes, the optics are quite good. Can you get better? Yes, but you will be paying at least 3 times more to do so.
If you would buy one of Sightrons SIII for $1,700, you'll get a scope that would cost you $2,500 or more.

Old February 14, 2019, 11:27 AM   #45
PALongbow

std7mag - Thanks for the scope feedback. I read some good reviews as well on this particular scope. I think it will be a good one especially for the price.

Ron