The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 29, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
blackdog_507

Ruger Mini vs AR-15? Advice Please!

I posted another thread about 7.62 vs 223 for self defense, and no one really answered my question. The debate got into pistols vs. shotguns vs. rifles for home defense. I have a 45 ACP that is my bedside gun for intrusion defense. I have shotguns, I have a bolt action .270. What I want is a semi-auto rifle that will take hi-cap mags (20 or 30 rnd). Lets be clear, I have no real need for this rifle. I live in IL and hunting large game with a rifle is prohibited. So this rifle purchase will be purely out of WANT, not need. I will use for recreational shooting only. Now, I want to be able to use for long range perimeter defense should the need ever arise. This will likely be my only semi auto rifle purchase. I want something versitle, fun, accurate, and reliable. I'm trying to decide between a Mini 30 in 7.62, a Mini 14 in .223/5.56, or AR-15 in .223/5.56. I don't reload, so ammo cost/availability is an issue. I suppose what I want is probably an AR, but I see the Mini is cheaper in both calibers. Is the AR worth the extra $300 over the mini or for my purposes shoud I just go cheap? Advice please?

Last edited by blackdog_507; March 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

The mini-14 is going to be a bit cheaper, but will also be less accurate than the AR. Unless you-re shooting out past 300 or 400 yards, the .223 ought to be sufficient to ward off trouble (this not being a battle field, once the bad guy is hit 300yrds from his target, I doubt hes going to persist).

On a strict cost basis, the mini 14 in .223 will be cheaper and reasonably accurate. The mini 30 will be a bit more of an investment because of the ammo cost. The AR in either caliber wil be a bit more of an investment for a quality rifle, but quality is always expensive.

It really depends on which one you can shoot more consistently and what your budget is.

Last edited by THEZACHARIAS; March 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
cornbush

I have shot the mini's in .223 and 7.62 as well as several configurations of ar's. From an accuracy stand point the .223 is the winner, although the 7.62 out of the mini 30 is far better than out of an sks or an ak. If you have the ability to do so, go shoot both. I personally like the ar's better, but the rugers are very good guns, I just like the way the ar handles better. Either one should give you many years of shooting fun.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4
OLNfan

ar-15 hands down. but the new tatical rugers do looks spiffy
but you wont get dissapointed on the ar-15. I have bought one and their even fun to clean. (for now anyways.) the accurracy is great mind you I dont have any optics, just the iron sights. but youll enjoy it plus just the look of the ar-15 will scare people off.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 29, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5
SPUSCG

What is that thing....:barf:

Tehy took a large capacity semiauto with a standard stock
And made it mall-ninja approved
Old March 29, 2009, 11:49 AM   #6
LateNightFlight

Quote:
The mini-14 is going to be a bit cheaper, but will also be slightly less accurate than the AR.
Amen. But I wouldn't necessarily say slightly less accurate, I'd say not even half as accurate in my experience, and I have a new 581 series with the "improvements."

Accuracy, reliability, availability of mags, etc.; get the AR.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
ISC

1) Minis will be considerably less accurate than a AR platform. Expect group sizes at least twice as large.

2) Minis are notorious for poor reliability with aftermarket magazines.

3) Expect factory mini magazines to cost 3x as much as USGI m16 (AR 15) magazines.

4) Other options to consider are:
Keltec su 16 (uses m16 mags, comparable accuracy and price as a mini)
Saiga in .223 or 762x39 (comparable accuracy, price, and magazine costs)
AR 15 in 7.62x39 (better accuracy than minis, more expensive, comparable mag prices)
Old March 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #8
kraigwy

When the Anchorage Police Dept started there SWAT (they called it SRT) team, I was taske with doing the original rifle training. For some unknown reason they chose the Mini 14 instead of the M16s ( I think it was because the Troopers had M16s).

Anyway the sucked. I had to drop the standreds Cutting back shooting to no more then 200 yards, With the promise they would send some of the members to my sniper school.

They finely got smart and dumped them for the M16s.

I've had a couple civilian versions of the Mini 14, I wasnt impressed.

This is just my opinion, but I put the Mini's in the same class as the AKs fun is you just want to burn up ammo, but if you are serious about shooting, get an AR system.

I do remember everyone begging Brownells for info on accurizing the minis. I've been out of the gunsmithing business for a while, I dont know if someone came up with something or not.

JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 29, 2009, 01:03 PM   #9
stonedog406

I own both a mini and ar's. Good info on the previous posts. The mini is a fun plinker and if you are shooting targets be prepared to see accuracy drop off when firing quickshots as the I think the barrel integrity decreases with the increase in heat. The upside is that the mini 14 is durable and reliable with any kind of ammo. They have a reputation of always going boom. Look at how open the design of the reciever is and if you have shot one, you know that if you want to save your brass, you will have to search a 30 yard arc to find them! They definitely chuck them. If you can find one to go shoot and see if you like it. And if you do buy one, look for the magazines first. I have found 30rd reliable non-Ruger mags for about $35/ea.

I do shoot the AR rifles 90% of the time, but I cannot seem to part with the mini either or any other gun for that matter.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:12 PM   #10
LateNightFlight

Quote:
I've been out of the gunsmithing business for a while, I dont know if someone came up with something or not.
These guys and a couple of others give Minis a custom make-over. http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ini_prices.php I keep asking myself if I'm crazy for even considering it. I mean, my 6.8 would be something over 800 bucks, on top of nearly 800 to buy the gun. And then all I have is a Mini 14 - one that will shoot, but...

On the other hand, if it would shoot well and be reliable, I might take a Mini over an AR. That's just personal preference. I like the look and feel of the Mini - I like my ARs fine; they're lots of fun, but I haven't completely warmed up to pistol grips, an off side safety, and the fact that no one makes a butt stock to give tallish folks a reasonable length of pull. If I put any amount of scope on an AR, I have to mount it on a riser to move it forward, but I get by without on one of them.

Bitch - bitch - bitch... maybe I should only have bolt guns?
Old March 29, 2009, 01:20 PM   #11
LateNightFlight

Quote:
They have a reputation of always going boom.
Hmmm, wish mine would always go boom. Ruger sent me a new mag and that's helped a lot, but I'd call it anything but reliable. With the new mag, I actually have a 50/50 chance of getting off all 5 rounds without an issue. That's a spectacular improvement from where I started.

I'd like to try some ammo besides Remington and Silver State, but there's none to be had. (6.8 rem spc)
Old March 29, 2009, 01:36 PM   #12
OLNfan

SPUSCG I think one reason why people want an ar is for its tatical look, their for I posted a picture of a tatical mini. Im in no way endorsing it im just trying to help him with options.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 29, 2009, 01:44 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
I think one reason why people want an ar is for its tatical look
Or they want ARs because they are the GO TO gun for high power shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 29, 2009, 01:48 PM   #14
SPUSCG

I've alaways wanted a high capacity semiauto but I'm going the m1a route eventually, I just can't STAND PISTOL GRIPS Rifles are a little better on PGs as I can use them, but prefer not to. On shotguns I just ask "why, I can't even carry it confortably."
Old March 29, 2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Delta1067

M-4

Buy a M-4 in .223 and stick with Colt, LMT, or Noveske. Go to m4carbine.net and do some reading before you buy.
Old March 29, 2009, 05:49 PM   #16
globalsmack

If it's just for plinking they both are great. I have an AR and my nephew a mini 14. When we are goofing around I can shoot his mini stupidly fast. Not so much with the AR.

The after market mags tend to suck though for the mini.
Old March 29, 2009, 05:57 PM   #17
kayakersteve

Mini is the winner!!

Don't listen to all these knuckle heads that say a Mini is not accurate - The newer Mini's will by far hold their own. Mine is great and I can definately use it for targets as well as personal defense. Anyone can own an AR-15; they are evrywhere and all look alike. Mini's are unique!!!!

2008 NRA Mini-14
Old March 29, 2009, 06:06 PM   #18
bsbllrooster10

AR

get the AR all the way. the mini isn't any more unique then an AR. The AR has way more upgradable options. Plus since cost of ammo is an issue for you then throw a .22 conversion kit in the AR. The kit will cost you 100 bucks and that alone will make up the price difference in the two guns after a bunch of .22s. Its great practice and a BLAST!! Good luck.
Old March 29, 2009, 06:17 PM   #19
SPUSCG

The problem with ARs are everyone slaps on as much tacti-cool stuff as possible, I haven't seen a standard AR without more rails than the local train yard and a collapsible stock.
Old March 29, 2009, 06:28 PM   #20
rshanneck2002

i keep hearing the "new" minis are much more accurate what a crock,i wouldnt invest in one again if my life depended on it.the one i sold 2 yrs ago counldnt hold a a 8 in group at 100 yds,past 50 yds it spread like wildfire across a target and i aint investing $750-800 to figure out if the new ones are any better.worst 223 i ever saw,period! i own a few ARs and they all shoot rings around any mini i ever saw, even my Kel-tec PLR-16 holds alot better groups at 100 than the mini i owned.i hope the barrells are much better and if i did buy another it would be the mini 30 in 7.62x39.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:02 PM   #21
KyJim

Quote:
i keep hearing the "new" minis are much more accurate what a crock,i wouldnt invest in one again if my life depended on it.the one i sold 2 yrs ago counldnt hold a a 8 in group at 100 yds,past 50 yds it spread like wildfire across a target and i aint investing $750-800 to figure out if the new ones are any better.worst 223 i ever saw,period!
How can you say it is a crock if you've never tried one? I too have read about the increased accuracy of the minis but I haven't shot one. Therefore, I can't say if the accuracy is any better than the old ones. Nor am I endorsing one.

The minis are notoriously picky about mags. I saw a factory 30 round mag listed for $69. I think the 20 shot mag is listed at $39 at Ruger's site. You can get good quality AR-15 mags for $12 to $18 each. If you can afford the extra money, buy the AR-15. You may want to look specifically at the M4 carbine variation. For the purposes listed by the OP, you don't need top of the line ARs. Just make sure it has iron sights, though those can be added.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:38 PM   #22
ritepath

That's it...I'm going to start looking to trade this junk-heap and all the crappy mags.
Old March 30, 2009, 02:59 AM   #23
Rifleman 173

I've owned 3 Mini-14s in the past and have gotten rid of all of them. I presently own 5 ARs/M-4 clones and will NOT part with any of them. The ARs have it all over the Mini-14s for reliability and accuracy. The ergonomics of the M-4 carbines has it all over the Mini-14s too. In .223 the M-4 clones are the best of the .223 caliber firearms for tactical/defensive work you can have.
Old March 30, 2009, 04:12 AM   #24
rshanneck2002

all i know is this, i aint making the same mistake twice in one lifetime, a 223 should at least hold a 2 or 3 in group at a 100 out of an american made rifle,the one i had wouldnt even come close with a scope once the bareel got warm which usually only took 3 to 5 rds or sooner. a good bushie will shoot rings around it
Old March 30, 2009, 04:21 AM   #25
Funeralfog

i bought one 4 or 5 years ago and the peep sight on it is dead accurate, i see no point of shooting hundreds of Yards. but its true the aftermarket mags are complete crap

Tags
ar-15 , mini 14 , mini 30 , self defense , semiauto