The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2002, 07:35 PM   #1
jlbpa

22-250 to .222 or .22 hornet

I have 22-250 but it's too loud for my damaged and altra sensitive ears even with ear plugs and Lightning ear muffs.
I'm not a reloader but would like to be if its feesible to put less powder or perhaps an alternate powder in a 22-250 case so it performs like a .222 or sometimes with even less powder like .22 hornet while still maintaining ground hog killing accuracy out to say 175 to 200 yards.
Thanks
Old September 2, 2002, 08:30 PM   #2
butchb243

I know this sounds crazy but be careful in downloading for any rifle. I dont claim to know the reasons or even have much knowlege on the subject, but there ary plenty of magizine articles about downloaded ammo blowing up guns. Check out some of these first. I'm sure sombody here can point you to the articles & if not try a search on downloaded ammo.

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands!

Save your confederate money boys the south is gonna rise again!
Old September 2, 2002, 10:45 PM   #3
Jim Watson

If you wish to get into reloading, the starting loads with medium burning powders like 4895 in the Lyman manual are close to .222 velocities. The Speer books show reduced loads with SR 4759 only at velocities between .22 magnum and .22 Hornet. There is a load of 4198 in the old NRA manual at Hornet velocity. I bet there is more around. Accuracy is hard to predict. I have gotten good accuracy from my .22-250 at .223 levels but have never tried to make it into a Hornet.
Old September 3, 2002, 01:59 AM   #4
MADISON

22-250 to .222 or .22 hornet

22-250 to .222 or .22 hornet.
Distance to the target and velocity is the thing to consider. A 22-250 is a bit over bore for me.
A 222 is good for about 250 yards. A 22 Hornet is good to 150 to 200 yards.
Read pages 90 through 93 in the LEE loading manual. If it sounds workable, send them $5 for their SQUIB computer program.
I load 4.1 grains of UNIQUE [55 grain bullet]in my hornet for shooting groundhogs in the City. It works for 25 yards.
THIS LOAD IS NOT COMATABLE WITH A 222!!!
I load 5.6 grains of UNIQUE behing a 55 grain bullet in my 223.
Both these loads are ESTIMATED to be around 1850 feet per second.
Old September 3, 2002, 11:20 AM   #5
john kilgore

Reduced loads

Reducing the loads is a feasable thing. The response that gave the recommendation of the Lee manual was on target. You should be able to get excellent accuracy if you follow practical guidlines.

For .22 Hornet equivalent loads, use some of the cast bullet data and recommended powders in the Lyman manual. Substituting a jacketed bullet for the same weight cast is ok as long as you follow the usual recommendation of reducing the starting load by 10% and working up. Also, be sure to check for barrel obstructions of bullets that don't clear the barrel.

For .222 level loads follow the Lee recommended procedure in the manual for reduced loads. I would recommend IMR or H-4198.

The concern for blown guns with reduced loads is real. The "detonation" theory has pretty well been "debunked" but blown up guns do happen!
Usually it is due to a bullet lodging in the barrel (a "squib") that results from a very low charge of slow burning powder, followed by another round without checking the barrel; also known to happen is the lead core leaving the barrel but leaving the jacket lodged in the barrel, the consequences being the same.
The other possibility is a double, triple, or even a quadruple charge of a fast burning powder. This results in some spectacular blow ups. So, if you are using reduced charges is a large case with small bore such as the .22-250, be especially prudent.
Old September 4, 2002, 02:23 PM   #6
Jim Watson

A sidebar item in the new Handloader magazine discusses downloading rifle ammo with H4895. Hodgdon has concluded that H4895 is safe down to 60% of maximum loads; one example in the magazine is a .243 at 1900 fps. They were looking at loads for kids and other novices. Unfortunately, .243 is the smallest caliber they show "youth loads" for.

The formula in the Lee manual might get you close enough to .222 and .22H load levels in your .22-250, but a chronograph would help a lot.
Old September 4, 2002, 04:41 PM   #7
Bogie

What kinda rifle is it?

If you can cut the barrel, and have it rechambered to .22BR, that will use the same boltface, but with significantly less powder capacity.

Thing is, with most cartridges, you're still gonna get the supersonic crack...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!