The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 2021, 10:45 PM   #1
KatManDew

What is best scope to buy for 6.5 creedmoor?

Would like to stay below $500. Shots will be 100-400 yards for the most part, but my 6.5 is a dedicated long range rifle for hunting open fields where I could possibly shoot up to 500-600 yards at the long end. Looking for quality with that in mind.
Old November 18, 2021, 10:53 AM   #2
kilotanker22

My vote for that specific purpose and price range would be a Trijicon Huron
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old November 18, 2021, 02:33 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I’m a Leupold guy, but I recently purchased a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 scope and can find no fault with it at all. I did a lot of research and you get a Leupold quality scope that on a feature to feature comparison is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper and has a lifetime guarantee. Take a look on EBay and you can usually find a great price on NIB scopes. Just my two cents worth. (I put it on my recently purchased Browning X-Bolt 6.5CM and I’m pretty happy with it).
Old November 21, 2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Rob228

I've got a Vortex Viper 3.5-10X50 on my 6.5 (Kimber Hunter). I've put close to 600 rounds through the combo and haven't had any complaints. Most shooting has been done at 200 yards, furthest has been 300 only due to lack of ranges around my place. Scope is rugged and holds a zero through lots of shooting and some mild abuse. Clarity is great, not Leupold great but I didn't play Leupold prices for it, and it falls just below your stated budget, I got mine for about $200 below MSRP from Midway- apparently no one wants a Duplex reticle anymore and they had a huge sale a while back.
Old November 22, 2021, 06:07 AM   #5
Nathan

In that price range, I would give Arken a try:

Arken link - https://www.arkenopticsusa.com

Look at the reviews on YouTube. I don’t own one, but people swear by them. I have a thread elsewhere about a $1300 optics where folks using the Arken are saying buy Arken and ammo!
Old November 22, 2021, 03:57 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Trijicon Huron
I've used several Trijicon accupoint scopes, they are simple but great scopes for hunting, especially when using flat shooting ammo. I've had no problem shooting sub-MOA groups out to 300 yards and beyond at 10x power with them. I may take a serious look at one of these Hurons one day--I hope their glass is as good as that on the accupoints.
Old November 26, 2021, 07:10 PM   #7
std7mag

I have several Vortex Crossfire IIs 4-12X40 BDC, that i regularly use.
Good for the price. Longest deer taken with it is 413 yards. One shot.

Don't waste your money on the Diamonback series. For double the price, optically no better than the Crossfire II.

I also have a Sightron Field Target 4-12X40 with MOA2 retical. Optics wise it's a little brighter than the Crossfire II. It is one of 3 Sightrons i own.
4-20X50 STAC, and a SIII 10-50X60 LRTD being my others.

I also have a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14X40. Really clear glass!
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one!

One i'm looking hard at lately is the Crimson Trace Hardline!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 26, 2021, 08:54 PM   #8
603Country

Those Burris FF 4.5-14 scopes are worth having. I bought one to see how good it was, and then bought another one because I liked the first one so much. The most recent scope buy is an Athlon Midas 2.5-15, and it seems like it’s an excellent scope, and in the OP’s price range, I think. Good illuminated reticle too.
Old December 1, 2021, 01:08 PM   #9
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I've used several Trijicon accupoint scopes, they are simple but great scopes for hunting, especially when using flat shooting ammo. I've had no problem shooting sub-MOA groups out to 300 yards and beyond at 10x power with them. I may take a serious look at one of these Hurons one day--I hope their glass is as good as that on the accupoints.
Trijicon claims that the Huron is made in Japan, with Japanese HD glass. Should be pretty good optically. I plan to buy one after Christmas. The 4-12x version is like $500 at EuroOptic.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 1, 2021, 01:13 PM   #10
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
In that price range, I would give Arken a try:

Arken link - https://www.arkenopticsusa.com

Look at the reviews on YouTube. I don’t own one, but people swear by them. I have a thread elsewhere about a $1300 optics where folks using the Arken are saying buy Arken and ammo!
I have an Arken SH4 Gen 2. Although the scope is excellent in its execution of features, it is lacking in optical quality. It is ok at best, but not something I would write home about. Considering its price and features it is still a pretty good buy. That Arken would compete with much more expensive optics if they could install better glass.

Edit: To clarify what I mean by poor optical quality. On my Arken SH4 Gen 2, I can see chromatic abberation with my naked eye, all the way down to 12 power when focusing on a target at only 100 yards. This is magnified by a very sensitive eye box. Overall the scope is pretty good. It would be a stellar buy with better glass.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; December 1, 2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old December 1, 2021, 02:09 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
Trijicon claims that the Huron is made in Japan, with Japanese HD glass. Should be pretty good optically. I plan to buy one after Christmas. The 4-12x version is like $500 at EuroOptic.
I look forward to your report--have you ever shot using any of the accupoints? I just took one out yesterday and at x9 was a piece of cake shooting a dead-on group sub-MOA @200 yds out of an old made-in-Germany 300 wby mag.