The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2018, 06:33 PM   #1
reynolds357

Some deer just refuse to die.

Hunting with my 5 year old this evening and he calls up a nice 8 point whitetail with a can call. Seeing as he called it in, I had to shoot it. A 6 point was coming in behind him and he turned to look at the 6 point. At 60 yds, I hit him in the front of his right lung. The deer jumped, ran hard a few steps, trotted over 100 yards to the edge of the field, looked around, walked in the woods, stepped three to four steps back into the field, looked around for 5 to six seconds and then fell dead. The deer was hit with a 90 gr bonded bullet traveling 3725fps from a 257 Roy. It blew up the front of the right lung and blew about 1/4th of the heart away before exiting in front of the left shoulder. There was massive internal damage yet the deer lived that long. I have seen some determined to live animals, but never one this determined. I think he thought the 6 point gored him and he was trying to exact revenge.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:34 PM   #2
jmr40

The oldest buck I ever killed ran over 100 yards total with similar damage. And I've had them fall and never twitch from less dramatic wounds. Incidents like this often lead to bad mouthing the cartridge or bullet used. But the truth is that some just have the will to live.

Winston Churchill
Old December 8, 2018, 09:03 PM   #3
std7mag

I had a doe turn 180 degrees, and run 20 yards, out of my eyesight with a heart shot.
Still amazed she moved at all as heart was mush, and both lungs destroyed.
Old December 8, 2018, 09:59 PM   #4
reynolds357

Quote:
The oldest buck I ever killed ran over 100 yards total with similar damage. And I've had them fall and never twitch from less dramatic wounds. Incidents like this often lead to bad mouthing the cartridge or bullet used. But the truth is that some just have the will to live.
This was definitely no fault of the bullet. It did its job. They usually go down like lightning strikes when hit by it. In this case, it did its damage.

Last edited by reynolds357; Yesterday at 07:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

"Lucky U fellers." Y'll didn't have to walk far so to recover you're trophy.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This was definitely no fault of the bullet. It did its job. They usually go down like lightning strikes when hit by it. In this case, it did its damage.
If the bullet does not do significant CNS damage, either directly (direct impact damage) or indirectly (hydraulic and/or hydrostatic shock), expect the animal to run, or at least to remain upright.

Sounds like this time you failed to attain the CNS damage needed to drop the animal in place and so it took off. It really has nothing to do with determination of the animal.

Quote:
I had a doe turn 180 degrees, and run 20 yards, out of my eyesight with a heart shot.
Still amazed she moved at all as heart was mush, and both lungs destroyed.
Again, no damage to the CNS and so the animal will remain active or conscious, at least until oxygen and adrenaline run out.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
If the bullet does not do significant CNS damage, either directly (direct impact damage) or indirectly (hydraulic and/or hydrostatic shock), expect the animal to run, or at least to remain upright.

Sounds like this time you failed to attain the CNS damage needed to drop the animal in place and so it took off. It really has nothing to do with determination of the animal.
I never do CNS damage to the big game I shoot. They usually pile up. There was devastating hydrostatic damage.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Actually, based on your description, you have been enjoying the benefits of hydrostatic shock resulting in the instant incapacitation of animals without actually shooting them directly in the brain or brain stem. Hydrostatic is the damage to remote areas due to the bullet's impact and pressure through the body, resulting in damage to areas such as the brain or brain stem, resulting in unconsciousness as the animal bleeds out from the actual impact, or death due to brain or brain stem damage.

The hydraulic shock is typically what you see with the wound cavity that follows the bullet's trajectory.

Your deer did not suffer hydrostatic damage this time and did not go down. It did suffer massive hydraulic damage based on your description, but without the hydrostatic damage, it survived until it either bled out or died due to lack of oxygen.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...e+Killing.html