The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 7, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
steve4102

New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York

Headed to the Supreme Court.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...18%20FINAL.PDF

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files...york-new-york/

The complaint has to do with the City of New York’s law that prevents gun owners from transporting licensed, locked and unloaded firearms outside the city.

Think this will be the case we have been waiting for the SC to hear?
Old December 7, 2018, 11:12 AM   #2
natman

It's certainly a case the Supreme Court ought to hear.

It's nothing more than Jim Crow laws for the 21st century.
Old December 7, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca

Where dies the link say it's headed for the Supreme Court? The petitioners have submitted it, yes, but certioari has not been granted. It can still be turned down.
Old December 7, 2018, 05:59 PM   #4
rambo60+

This is ridiculous, little by little they are squeezing the neck out of our freedom, i don't live in NY but people who do have to protect themselves.
Old December 7, 2018, 08:26 PM   #5
Rachen

Quote:
This is ridiculous, little by little they are squeezing the neck out of our freedom, i don't live in NY but people who do have to protect themselves.
From historical knowledge, the chief mechanism in which freedoms can be eroded is by the government declaring national emergencies and how weapons must be taken away for "your own good". From the medieval Catholic Church to Cambodia's Pol Pot, this is the one tool that the ruling powers have used to strangle their subjects into total submission.

Declare a bogeyman. Whether it be heretics, or criminals or juvie gangs. And then raise such a scare that the public will believe anything that will "help" them. And that is how rights are taken away.

As someone from New York, I hope these cases go through and win. Even minor victories are still victories and they will pave the road for more actions in the future. The Sullivan Act was passed with the intent of keeping street gangs and organized crime syndicates from getting guns, but that was all horse manure. It specifically targeted low income New Yorkers possibly from immigrant backgrounds. Mainly Italians. The New York political machine and vice industries of the early 1900's had long been dominated by the Irish Mob, who had used force to overturn Anglo-German control of the rackets in the middle of the 19th century. When a large influx of Italians and Chinese arrived in the port of New York in the 1900's, bringing with them their own powerful underworlds, these old generation guys were scared to death. Tammany Hall was one of the backers of the bill, as they were afraid that a new generation of armed social interest groups in the city would create another "Gangs of New York" scene and usurp their powerbase, as how the Tammany mobsters originally usurped Captain Isiah Rynders back in the 1840s. It is an archaic, useless and highly unconstitutional piece of legislation that should have been removed when the Heller case in DC had passed.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:09 PM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
Where dies the link say it's headed for the Supreme Court? The petitioners have submitted it, yes, but certioari has not been granted. It can still be turned down.
The SC can't turn it down until it gets there, right?
Old December 8, 2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

To clarify: The docket at this juncture shows that a petition for writ of cert has been filed and distributed for conference, but it has neither been granted nor denied.
Old December 8, 2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Bowdog

Another reason to leave NY. I did, moved to the free state of Tennessee.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:15 AM   #9
AirForceShooter

I doubt if SCOTUS will hear it.

Where's the constitutional issue?

AFS
Old December 8, 2018, 11:07 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
I doubt if SCOTUS will hear it.

Where's the constitutional issue?

AFS
Conflict with Second Amendment in general and a specific conflict with the "safe passage" section of the Firearms Protection Act, for starters.