The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 7, 2018, 01:39 AM   #1
passtime

44 mag Redhawk grips?

I have a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk 44 mag on the way and I was hoping to get some suggestions on a good set of recoil reducing grips for it. I have a GP 100 with a stock factory Hogue grip and it works great. Comfortable and good recoil reduction using my warm to hot handloads. I was hoping to find something comparable or at least something that has a good solid grip and some reduction in recoil. I don't have large hands but I do have large short fingers.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:34 AM   #2
ocharry

my red hawk is wearing a pair of hogue grips,,,this gun is a first production gun,,,and has been wearing these grips most of its life

also have a pair on my super blackhawk

i tried the pacmyer (spelling) grips but much prefer the hogue

just my .02

ocharry
Old December 7, 2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Real Gun

I fitted my 5.5" barrel Redhawk with the compacts of the shorter barrel, square butt model. With smaller hands I can now deal with the Redhawk's longer trigger reach. Recoil no problem, it's a big gun.
Old December 7, 2018, 05:06 PM   #4
passtime

It is hard to tell from the images of the grips I have looked at but most look like they do not cover the backstrap. I would think not covering the backstrap would transfer recoil directly into the web and palm of the hand. I am just researching things on the Redhawk that can be upgraded if need be. It will be a little time before I receive the firearm. I don't have the luxury of being able to hold or test fire a firearm before I purchase it so I do a lot of research before I make a purchase.. Before I purchased my GP 100 a lot of people said it would need a trigger job. The trigger on mine was fine. I have over three thousand rounds of my warm to hot handloads through it now and the trigger is as smooth as a babies behind. With the Redhawk many say it has heavy recoil so just in case it does I am checking out grips. Thanks for the reply ocharry and Real Gun.

Last edited by passtime; December 7, 2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:42 PM   #5
Real Gun

Because of the Redhawk's long trigger reach, many would likely prefer the open back strap. It is essential for me. The recoil is mitigated by having a good fit in palm swell. Recoil in a gun that big is not the monster you imagine.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I would think not covering the backstrap would transfer recoil directly into the web and palm of the hand.
That's exactly what it does. It can irritate carpal tunnel issues too. In my experience, it's not a big deal with specials but magnums are another story. I don't know all the science but I think there is an issue with vibration along the metal frame. Just having a little rubber (or even wood) between the backstrap and my hand does a world of good.
Old December 7, 2018, 08:16 PM   #7
NH15-45

Hogue rubber grips. Tried Pachmayr's at first but the Hogues are way more comfortable