The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 4, 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Shoebox

.308 round suggestions for M1A?

Just did a deal for an M1A Super Match with a Hart stainless steel barrel (1/10 twist).
I have never owned a rifle like this and am going to shoot it next weekend in a couple HP matches but have NO idea what to feed it.
As always, your input is appreciated.
Steve
Old November 5, 2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Jim Watson

175 gr Black Hills
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=878863
Old November 7, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3
30Cal

If you haven't shot much position shooting before you'd do just fine with surplus M80 ball (i.e. if you aren't very familiar with shooting with a sling). You might buy a box of match stuff for the long line if you're going to shoot the full distance to make life a little easier with the wind. But if you're not shooting 300yds or more, you won't need to compensate for wind.

I'd only use the 175's at 600yds. The rapids are tough enough with the M1A without adding even more recoil into the equation. The 175 has got a slight advantage against the wind over the 168 on the 600yd line, but not a heck of a lot (for a 1mph change, I still use one half minute click for either bullet). If I was buying ammo, I'd shoot the 175 on the long line and 168's everywhere else. Black Hills or S&B will probably be cheapest if you don't reload.

I'm currently shooting the Speer 125TNT bullet (half the recoil of the 168) at 200yds and the 168SMK at 300 and 600yds (I ran out of 175s and I have 168's coming out of my ears). I got a Kreiger 1:12 after I shot out my other barrel.

Ty
Old November 7, 2005, 05:55 PM   #4
Tim R

I agree with 30 cal. You can shoot 168's across the course. The cost of ammo the rifle make the most out of will set your pocket book back along ways as most matches are 80 shots for record then adding sighters comes to 88. You need extra rounds in case you need to re-fire a string for what ever reason. This means you will need at least 100 rounds. 5 boxes of ammo is a killer to the pocket book at $18.00 to $22.00 per box.

A new guy could get away with using ball and learning the course and should work OK until getting to the long line. I have seen surplus M-852 but not very often for sale. M-852 is the Lake City GI 168 match which shoots pretty nice for the most part. Most HP shooters reload. Having said that setting up to reload match 308 is paid back pretty quickly if a guy shoots many matches at all.

The load you rifle should like for the most part is 41.5 grs. of IMR 4895 in a GI case, (Lake City) with a 168 SMK and using a CCI 200 primer to get things started. If a tuned 308 gas gun won't shoot this load something is very wrong.

If you are not set up to reload, I'm sure there will be another shooter who does. Most HP shooters worth their salt are more than willing to help a new guy out with the loan of equipment and pointers.

You have a fine rifle to shoot Hp with. You are lucky to have come into it. Learn with it and shoot it until you don't get moved around in sitting and prone and then go to a tuned up AR and kick some booty.
Old December 9, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5
gxi.llc

Congrats on getting a fine rifle. I just left you a reply on your other post about going with a .30. Here's a link I just saw today on LC118LR, 175gr SMK match ammo for $15/box or $140 for 200 rounds.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=233127

I agree with the above posts, though, that ball ammo will be fine for now.

Congrats again, and good luck. Where are you shooting?