The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2002, 04:03 PM   #1
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

E Muffs (Hearing protection)

Anyone familar with E Muffs Electronic Hearing Protector.

Cabela's carries them:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rentType=&rid=

They are a combination sound enhancer and noise reduction Ear Muff.

I've found a source that has them for $20.00. They are listed on Cabela's at $80. If they are any good, I'd like to pick up a pair for range use. But I have no experience with this type of Ear Muff.

Anyone have any comments

Speed Racer
Old August 26, 2002, 04:28 PM   #2
CWL

Only $20? That's cheaper than standard hearing guards.

Cheap enough to get a pair just for trial!

Let us know your source.
Old August 26, 2002, 08:12 PM   #3
Tman

The more expensive brands (ie. Peltors and Pro-ears) cost more by about $70-120! Comparing the shut off levels of the pro-ears, pro-ears has its sound compression at 70 db and its NRR at 24 db (if I recall correctly). If you use them for indoor range use, I've been told that because of the walls, etc., indoor range sound can be higher by about 10-15 db, so double plugging is helpful.
Old August 27, 2002, 08:10 AM   #4
Kentucky Rifle

I have a set of Pro Ears "Pro-Mag" model. They're pretty good at the indoor range. However, due to the way things were, I'm totally deaf in my right ear. Even at the outdoor range, I double plug when I shoot my AR15. Gotta take care of the one ear that works. Even "double-plugged", I can turn up the side that works and hear normal conversation. What I'm trying to say is that you'll just have to pay a little more for good electronic hearing protecton.

KR
Old August 27, 2002, 10:33 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Okay, so the E Muffs shut off the microphone at 85 db. So what is the actual NRR (noise reduction rating) on the muffs. If it is below 25, I would suggest wearing plugs with them. If you are shooting indoors, wear plugs with them as well.

The microphones simply give you a way to better hear outside noise that is not dangerous to your ears while you wear the muffs. That is well and good, but the critical part is by how much the muffs reduce noise. The microphones are for convenience. The noise reduction is for hearing safety and that is why you wear the muffs in the first place.

I wear Peltor Comtacs and ear plugs. I turn up the volume to be able to hear normal sounds a little better and to compensate for the ear plugs worn under the muffs. The advantage of this double system is that I always have on the plugs, even when I remove the muffs. They prevent me from accidently experiencing loud noises with unprotected ears. Combined with the muffs, the doubled protection helps protect against noise leakage that may occur when the plugs are not completely seated properly or if the muffs are not flush against my head. Things like hair and the arms of one's glasses keep the muffs from seating and sealing completely against one's head, so they rarely work to their full potential, hence the need for plugs.
Old August 27, 2002, 11:33 AM   #6
Bruce626

Speed Racer....
I'm in the market for electronic muffs... can you share the i.d. of your $20 source?
Old August 27, 2002, 11:57 AM   #7
Bruce626

Cabela's Tech Provides NRR rating

I just queried Cabela's about the NRR rating on the E Muffs at $80... since the NRR is not shown in their product description... after the tech queried the manufacturer, he came back with a NRR = 27.

While all NRR numbers are a bit suspect, this is a number that is as good as the Pro Ears and better than most Peltor models.

So, this might be a decent deal.

Even so, all the preceding good advice about double plugging still applies.
Old August 27, 2002, 02:14 PM   #8
SpeedRacer2OO2
Registration in progress

E Muffs

OK, I went ahead and ordered a set of these. My final price was 22.39 out the door. They are back ordered, but should ship in the next week or so. The shipping from this company takes forever unless you upgrade so it may be many weeks before these arrive.

If anyone is interested in picking up a pair of these, you can order them from Harbor Freight. I ordered them from the catalog, but the company has a web site.

Here is the URL for the E Muffs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46798

They are listed at $24.99 on the website, but are reduced in price in the catalog ($19.99). The catalog item number is 46798-1hwc.

The phone number is 1-800-423-2567

If anyone is interested tell the operator you have a coupon for free shipping:
Coupon is #FS 632-654-603

This will get you free shipping and a $5 discount on S&H.

I've bought things from this company in the past. They are a reputable company, and except for the incredibly long shipping times easy to work with.

They also have a wide variety of traditional Hearing Ear Muffs. Including a set of ear muffs with a NRR of 33.4 dB for $2.99 @.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43768
I had meant to pick up a couple of these to keep in my range bag for guests, but forget about it at the time of my order.

Speed Racer
Old August 27, 2002, 03:28 PM   #9
Bruce626

SpeedRacer...
Thanks for the info... I read the info on the web site and it sounds like both the electronic and the plain muffs are pretty good for industrial/machinery environments.

Only because they don't say anything about it, I'm wondering if these might NOT be designed to handle the very quick, very lound impulse noise of gunfire, as contrasted with loud machinery. On some other tread here, I read about "attack time" and a shooting muff needing to have an attack time in the neighborhood of 2 milliseconds in order to dampen the impulse noise of gunshots, which to this layman, sounds pretty fast.

Let us know how they work out when you get them, but please consider this a minor caution about how quickly the E Muffs might react to gunshots.

--Bruce.
Old August 27, 2002, 04:04 PM   #10
Don45cal

I have orderd dozens of items from Harbor Freight. I have never had a problem with anything. Once on the list catalogs just keep on coming with specials all the time.

Be Safe & Shoot Straight