The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 20, 2020, 07:26 PM   #1
Mike38

I'm confused.

I'm very confused. My wife would agree with that, but that subject would be off topic.

I recently purchased a pistol off Gallery of Guns web site. Had it shipped to the nearest to me dealer. It came into the dealer's shop today, so I went in to square up the funds, fill out the paper work, etc. I haven't bought a new gun in over 5 years, so I knew things may be slightly different. The Federal form was 6 pages long? But only the first page and a half is filled out by the buyer. Ok. Then the lady at the counter said she had to retain a copy of my Illinois Firearms Owners ID, and fill out another paper. Ok. She was required to ask me what my intended purpose was for the firearm. What? It's a gun, I'm going to shoot it! She again asked me the intended purpose. In reality it will be a pocket mouse gun (Kel Tec P32) but I don't think it's anyone's business, so I said target shooting, which is what I will do to determine it's reliability before trusting it as a carry gun. Then she asked me the type of work I do. What? Why does it make any difference if I flip burgers at McDonalds, or if I'm a brain surgeon? She laughed and said she'll put down brain surgeon. No, better not lie, I'm an Electrician.

Why is it necessary to answer my intended purpose and what job I have? Enquiring minds want to know? Is this a Federal thing, or state of Illinois thing?

Then to top it off, she reminded me of the 3 day waiting period, yea, ok. But added the Illinois check system is behind due to lowered staffing at the Government level, and it may take longer (Covid-19 thing). She said she has guns at the shop that have been sitting for 18 days now, and the buyer has yet to be approved for pickup. You mean it could be a month before I can gain possession of my gun? Yep. Illinois, ya gotta love it.
Old May 20, 2020, 08:00 PM   #2
ballardw

Sounds like an Illinois thing.

The last firearm I bought was in stock, walked into the store and left 25 minutes later (the counter wasn't busy) with it.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Armed_Chicagoan

That's an old law but was rarely used until recently after dealer licensing was passed and the state "reminded" dealers they had to ask those idiotic questions.

As for the 3 day wait it actually starts the minute you agree to buy the gun (per the Illinois State Police), not when you fill out the 4473 or when it arrives at your FFL. If they start it later that's their company policy, not the law. I have bought guns online and by the time it got to the FFL the 3 days were up and I walked out with the gun after the 4473 and instant background check.

There's consequences for voting for the blue party. You're lucky you still have an FFL, mine left the state after that stupid dealer licensing law and more than half have moved out of state or closed their doors for good already, which was the real intent of the law.