The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 7, 2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Background Checks

Does Nancy Pelosi live under a rock?

The other day, I heard her say we need background checks.
Old October 7, 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Pahoo

She knows how to word-play the folks

Quote:
The other day, I heard her say we need background checks
She knows how to play word games. Now she has some uninformed folks thinking that background checks do not exist. If challenged, she can say that she actually meant extended background checks or some other BS. ....
There are times she I can't figure out what she just said but she makes it sound good. .... .

Be Safe !!!
Old October 7, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
JoeSixpack

What Pahoo said.

We already have NICS check at FFL's as federal minimum.

When they talk about "internet sales" or "gun show loophole"
They're talking about private sales within your own state.

At the federal level it's not illegal to sell to another citizen of your own state privately.
They want to end that so that all transfers have to go thru a dealer.

You can't have a gun sent to your house.. when they say internet sales they mean classified sites like armslist where you post what you're selling and then meet face to face (in your own state) to sell.

gun show loophole is what they call people who sell privately at gun shows... mind you FFL's still have to conduct NICS at gunshows.

It wont do any good though since a minority of guns used in crime and especially mass shootings are bought privately.. most of them turn out to be bought legally thru a dealer, or stolen is the 2nd most common method of obtaining.. no amount of "background check" will eliminate theft.
Old October 9, 2017, 11:34 AM   #4
doofus47

yeah, it was the first "solution" offered by the DNC after the LV shooting took place. Nevermind that the shooter passed all background checks (as did the Orlando shooter).
The logic is akin to recommending that everyone eat chicken soup as a solution to global warming.

"Never let a crisis go to waste."
Old October 9, 2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Pahoo

I think she is speaking some kind of English

Quote:
Does Nancy Pelosi live under a rock?
It's getting to the point where I am starting to feel sorry for her. Just try and make sense of some of her recent rants. Just listen to her words and try to figure out what she is talking about. I have to ask my wife; What did she just say and we really do not understand her words, let alone her points. It's getting past making any sense. .......

I will pray for her, tonight and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 10, 2017, 04:32 AM   #6
SonOfScubaDiver

Speaking as someone who votes lefty, I would very much like to see Pelosi and a few others in lefty leadership retire. Now, I know she was talking about universal background checks, as does anyone who has actually been following some of the demands coming from the left. But to the unlearned, of which there are more in this country than there should be, it would give the impression that there aren't any kind of background checks being conducted at all. This is one of the things I absolutely hate about politics, and it happens on both sides. Things get worded in such a way to distort the truth.
Old October 10, 2017, 04:59 AM   #7
Prndll

While Clinton tries everything she can to convince everyone that Trump isn't fit to lead it is actually the other way around. Clinton, Pelosi, Feinstein, McCain, and certain others are the ones that are unfit to lead.

People will follow them with no regard to what they follow.

Last edited by Prndll; October 10, 2017 at 04:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old October 10, 2017, 07:10 AM   #8
steve4102

Quote:
yeah, it was the first "solution" offered by the DNC after the LV shooting took place. Nevermind that the shooter passed all background checks (as did the Orlando shooter).
The logic is akin to recommending that everyone eat chicken soup as a solution to global warming.
Nope, they know exactly what they are doing. Fienstein was just on the tube this past Sunday and she said more than once on more than one show, "that no gun control legislation would have prevented the LV massacre."

Why would she admit that, has she come to her senses? NO.

She is setting the stage (again) that Gun Control does not work, so the only solution to keep Americans safe is a total and outright ban, or better yet "repeal the Second Amendment".

Admitting gun control does not work is NOT admitting defeat, it is taking this debate to the next level, Repeal the Second Amendment.
Old October 10, 2017, 09:41 AM   #9
doofus47

Steve4102:
Quote:
Admitting gun control does not work is NOT admitting defeat, it is taking this debate to the next level, Repeal the Second Amendment.
From a strategic view point, this is very possible. The constant clamor for UBC is probably only a canard. As with LV, Orlando or any given Sunday in South Chicago, UBC won't stop free will from leading to bad results. Even in a country with no widespread firearms nor gun culture like Brazil, this has proven true. The inevitable failure of UBC will bring calls for registration. This will also fail to stunt free will and evil intentions. Then we will be left with only an outright ban. Which, as proven in other nations, won't bring mindfulness, peace nor warm puppies to the general population.
Old October 10, 2017, 09:51 AM   #10
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
She is setting the stage (again) that Gun Control does not work, so the only solution to keep Americans safe is a total and outright ban, or better yet "repeal the Second Amendment".
That's a pretty big gamble. First, she has to admit her gun control policies are a failure. Second, she has to admit the Second Amendment protects an individual right bear arms. And that's all for just a remote chance of repealing the 2nd Amendment. The incremental death of the 2nd Amendment is a better and proven option for the anti-gunners...
Old October 10, 2017, 10:25 AM   #11
JoeSixpack

She already said after passing the AWB in 94 she would have taken all guns if she could, ("Mr & Mrs America, Turn them all in") but there wasn't votes for it so she got what she could (AWB 94-04)

That kinda reach is to radical even for non gun owners.
I know plenty of people who do not have a gun, don't want a gun, but would never support a complete ban.
Old October 11, 2017, 10:12 AM   #12
2ndsojourn

"She [Feinstein] is setting the stage (again) that Gun Control does not work, so the only solution to keep Americans safe is a total and outright ban, or better yet "repeal the Second Amendment".

*rolls eyes*

To repeal the 2nd amendment, 2/3 of both houses of congress have to pass the repeal. Then 3/4 of the states have to ratify it. I doubt that 3/4 of the states will ratify that in any of our lifetimes, more so hers.

She's on the judiciary committee and doesn't recognize that? She's another one who's fit to lead is questioned.