The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 18, 2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinFL View Post
... Two guys at an adjacent shop chased him down in a van and killed him. State attorney (Janet Reno at the time?) said it was a justifiable use of force under our statutes. Not exactly a precedent, though.
There has to be more to the story. A link to some more information would help.

We need to be very careful about anecdotes like this. Sometimes there mere folk tales, and sometimes critical data is missing.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:44 PM   #27
wayneinFL

Quote:
There has to be more to the story. A link to some more information would help.
Yeah, you got me there. It was 30 years ago, so my memory was a little fuzzy. Sure, there's always more to the story and there's probably more to the story than what was in the papers. Took some time, but I found it. It was Carl Robert Brown. Most of the articles were on Google News archive.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/24/us...ot-gunman.html

Quote:
Prosecutors said today they would not file criminal charges against a motorist who pursued and killed Carl R. Brown just minutes after Mr. Brown killed eight people and wounded three others in a shooting spree at a welding shop. Dade State Attorney Janet Reno said that after reviewing police reports, she had decided against bringing charges against the motorist, Mark Kram, because he used ''justifiable force'' in shooting Mr. Brown and running him down with his car after the crime last Friday. ''The facts of the law, particularly the law that deals with justifiable use of force, indicates that charges should not be filed,'' she said. She added that Mr. Kram was within his legal rights to use deadly force because he believed it was necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or someone else.
They pretty much did everything against conventional wisdom. They had heard about the shooting. They chased Brown in a Lincoln ( I was wrong about the van). They shot him in the back with a 38, then struck him, pinning him against a light pole.

According to their story, they had fired a warning shot that had inadvertently struck Brown. I think everybody knows that's BS, and even if it isn't, warning shots aren't a good idea. Allegedly, after being delivered the fatal shot, Brown reached for the gun, so they hit him with the car.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:16 PM   #28
lylemsharp

Fear...

Dream assaults are always hand to hand actions for me and I move like I am under water having little to no impact on my foe. I will invariably wake up flushed with adrenalin, but no weapons ever come into play. As for your dream scenario, a fleeing attacker that has wounded you is a continuing threat to you and others. If you know them, you may have a very good idea of exactly what kind of threat they would continue to be. Depending on my perception of whether they would come back to finish the job or had just flipped out and were intent on stabbing everyone they encountered, I might shoot them as they fled.