The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Tumbled Range Brass

This is the first time that I am using range brass. So I just tumbled several thousand rounds of .38 special brass. I used crushed walnut media in the tumbler. There seems to be some of the media stuck inside of the cartridges. What is the best way to get all of this out of the cartridge? Or is it ok to load these cartridges if there is still small amount stuck to the walls of the case?
Old February 7, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2
grumpa72

I take a small flat head screw driver and scrape the walls when I see media stuck in there. It is NOT ok to reload with media there because that will increase the case pressure beyond what you are reloading for and expecting. The inside of the case should be free of debris.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
SVO

:
Lee makes a punch for removing crimped primers from military brass. The punch for a 223/5.56 case works great to remove any media stuck in the primer pocket/primer flash hole.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
1Hobie

Take out the media and retumble the brass. The remaining bits should come out. If not, maybe you're using a tad bit too much compound in your media.

Hobie
Old February 7, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
GP100man

"maybe you're using a tad bit too much compound in your media."

This is exactly what I was thinkin !

If to much additives to the media it`ll clump & cling to places we don`t need it to .

Try takin the top off & letting it dry while running a bit .

Even if it don`t feel damp ,it`s damp enuff to clump/cling.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Jay24bal

Do you own an air compressor?

I find that an air compressor works very well to blow any debris out of a case. It also works well to dry the cases if you use an ultrasonic cleaner. I have a small "pancake" compressor that sits next to the workbench for other things, and it often times gets called into duty for this as well.

While not nearly as cost effective, the cans of compressed air for electronics will also accomplish the same job.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 7, 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

Sounds like an additive to the media was not fully mixed in before adding the brass. That happens fairly often to people using an additive the first time or two. I would scrape out the cases and put them back into the tumbler for a while to let them get cleaned out. Don't put any additive in this time around. Any media stuck inside the case will reduce the volume and increase the pressure just like seating the bullet deeper would. It is a good thing you caught this problem prior to loading the cases.