The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Democracyman

Bear spray for home defense?

I wonder has anyone seriously considered this alternative?

Imagine, it is dark and you see someone messing around outside the
home or maybe trying to get in. Maybe it is someone meaning harm
or a drunk kid from next door, lost his home/mind or whatever?

One could stick a arm around a corner and after a warning, give
a squirt of spray(idealy a cloud of spray) Of course one still can have a firearm backup.

I personally think this could be good tactics, any thoughts?
Old August 29, 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Tanzer

Could be. You'll still get arrested & sued if it's the neighbor's kid, unless he's wearing a bear suit.
Old August 29, 2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Tanzer

Oh yeah, put a tac light on the can. Just kidding! don't go off on me - I'm just lightening things up after that thread went nasty.
Old August 29, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Manedwolf

I believe it's a felony in a number of places to use it on human beings, in any instance.

Besides, you'll just get the lawsuit for "permanent disability from sinus/eye/nose" damage.
Old August 29, 2007, 04:32 PM   #5
Democracyman

Yes, I guess it would be better to get pepper spray made to use on humans.

Still, in todays world you would almost be better off not defending
yourself?

I know a guy personally who after a attack by a person started
carrying a small 22 pop gun. The same person came at him again with
a plastic lawn dart, at the time the guy didn't know what he was being
attack with, so he unloaded on the person and blew his brains out at
point blank range. He had two trials and went to prision for around 10
years, to boot he won't be able to own or have a firearm again.

One would almost be better off to blow one's own brains out in
a attack stuation, it would be more humane on oneself.

Personally I think one would be better off in litagation with bear
spray than a firearm, not to say you shouldn't be careful.

Felony to use bear spray? I thought it used the same amount
of pepper that the human pepper spray had?

A felony conviction is a wonderful thing, their making everthing
a felony these days? Everyone is a felon, a sure fired way to
get around the 2nd Admendment.
Old August 29, 2007, 04:32 PM   #6
ActivShootr

IMHO any less-than-lethal method is not an option for home defense. At any rate, bear spray is not a good idea for use indoors. Unless you like the taste of peppers.

(Good one Tanzer )
Old August 29, 2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Avenger11

Bought some bear spray cause I was having trouble with a neighbor's aggressive dog. First I tried regular pepper spray, but it was only good for about 7 ft. The bear spray is good to 25ft, but it is nasty stuff. If you even get a whiff of that stuff, you will be incapacitated. Can't imagine what it would be like to use it inside. It sends out a big cloud, and it's almost impossible to avoid contact. Just getting some on your skin, burns like heck.
Good news is the dog took the brunt of it and hasn't bothered me since.
Bottom line I would not recommend for HD.
Old August 29, 2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Democracyman

Pay close attention,

If you screw up and shoot someone even a self defense situation and
that person is some kid, and/or unarmed. If you just got unlucky in
court. You could go to prision for murder. I would sooner bathe in
pepper spray one time, than do 10 in the big house.

Not to say a firearm is not good for self defense, it is the legal
and political situation that you would be in afterword in most
parts of the country.
Old August 29, 2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Democracyman

Personally,
I think it may be a saleable product to have a tactical light
and pepper spray built into one. It would need to have a range of at
least 25 feet better to be 50 foot. Of course one could carry it in one
hand and the other would carry a firearm if wanted. If made for home
defense and certified for such then litagation would be less of a problem.

I think it would be a good idea. Any thoughts?
Old August 30, 2007, 08:14 AM   #10
ActivShootr

I dont think we should be putting lights on anything around here. The mere mention of the words light and tactical in the same sentence seems to bring out the numbskulls.
Old August 30, 2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Thumper

Quote:
Personally,
I think it may be a saleable product to have a tactical light
and pepper spray built into one. It would need to have a range of at
least 25 feet better to be 50 foot. Of course one could carry it in one
hand and the other would carry a firearm if wanted. If made for home
defense and certified for such then litagation would be less of a problem.

I think it would be a good idea. Any thoughts?
Yeah. I've been through pepper spray proofing. It hurts. You CAN NOT open your eyes.

You're not incapacitated, however. I'm a strong guy. You hit me with pepper spray and adrenalize me, you dont want me to have my bare hands on you. You give an attacker a knife, shotgun, etc. and he's still hyper dangerous in the confines of a room.

Advocating the use of pepper spray over a firearm in a home defense situation is simply silly. You shouldn't let your friend's lawn dart episode color your thinking quite so much.

Perhaps you might be able to sell your "pepper spray over firearms" idea to a police dept. (they have some pretty left leaning admins), but you'll get a lot of cops killed in the process.

I'm not sure where you live, but your concerns with overprosecution are unwarranted in my state. Check the record.
Old August 30, 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Tanzer

Make a prototype with duct tape and post the picture.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:06 PM   #13
JAXX

Quote:
Yeah. I've been through pepper spray proofing. It hurts. You CAN NOT open your eyes.

You're not incapacitated, however. I'm a strong guy. You hit me with pepper spray and adrenalize me, you dont want me to have my bare hands on you. You give an attacker a knife, shotgun, etc. and he's still hyper dangerous in the confines of a room.
No offense meant here, but I guarantee the pepper spray used in your training was nowhere near as potent as the stuff used in bear spray. Most of the spray marketed as self defense against humans and for use by LE is water based. The good bear spray is oil based. The stuff I carry on me when I hunt in Grizz country is made by UDAP. It specifically states that it WILL kill a dog at close range. I had a good friend who was carrying some on his hip and had a horse wreck. When he landed, he landed on his hip and ruptured the can, it burned his leg so bad he had to be taken to the hospital and treated for burns. You do not want to come in contact with this stuff. It WILL incapacitate you, I guarantee it.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Yellowfin

Not happening for me. The air conditioner could kick on and blow it right back in my face and I'd have the double misfortune of being sprayed THEN killed. I also usually have a fan on. The old fashioned methods suit me far better. "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." --Niccolo Machiavelli
Old August 30, 2007, 12:28 PM   #15
Thumper

Quote:
No offense meant here, but I guarantee the pepper spray used in your training was nowhere near as potent as the stuff used in bear spray. Most of the spray marketed as self defense against humans and for use by LE is water based. The good bear spray is oil based. The stuff I carry on me when I hunt in Grizz country is made by UDAP. It specifically states that it WILL kill a dog at close range. I had a good friend who was carrying some on his hip and had a horse wreck. When he landed, he landed on his hip and ruptured the can, it burned his leg so bad he had to be taken to the hospital and treated for burns. You do not want to come in contact with this stuff. It WILL incapacitate you, I guarantee it.
I believe you. It certainly sounds potent. It also sounds like something that would be stupid to use indoors.

Nasty.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:33 PM   #16
JAXX

Quote:
It also sounds like something that would be stupid to use indoors.
That is one of the most intelligent statements made in this thread so far.
Old August 30, 2007, 12:41 PM   #17
Thumper

Gracias.

Democracyman, will you please provide a source backing up your claim that someone was attacked with a lawn dart, successfully defended himself with a firearm, then was imprisoned?

Are you sure there's not more to the story? To my mind, a lawn dart would definitely be considered a deadly weapon.

I had a childhood friend ,now a detective for a large sheriff's dept., who used to love to throw lawn darts straight up and yell, "Run!"

Old August 30, 2007, 05:50 PM   #18
excelsior

check this out

Security Equipment Corporation’s New HOME DEFENSE Pepper Spray Provides Less-Lethal Defense for Multiple Aggressors

Being awakened suddenly in the middle of the night by a strange sound is a very unsettling experience. Was it your pet, the wind or maybe an intruder? As the mind races to determine the source, protecting your family becomes paramount. The same self defense urge is experienced by an employer or employee who is unexpectedly startled by an unusual noise when alone in their place of business. Protection is needed immediately in these circumstances which is why Security Equipment Corporation is pleased to introduce their SABRE RED HOME DEFENSE Pepper Spray.

HOME DEFENSE provides 13.0 oz of SABRE RED Pepper Spray to fend off one or multiple aggressors! Built like a small fire extinguisher, HOME DEFENSE deploys a heavy fog delivery with a range of twenty-five feet. In fact, a one (1) second burst of HOME DEFENSE will cover an entire doorway with a very powerful, incapacitating dose of SABRE RED. This exact canister design and formula is used to protect correction officers against multiple combative inmates and is now available for civilian defense.

Security Equipment Corporation’s SABRE RED formulation is the brand of choice by many of our nation’s largest law enforcement agencies which include: Customs & Border Protection; US Marshals; US Capitol Police; Pentagon Police; Federal Bureau of Prisons and many of our nation’s largest municipal police departments. “We are very happy to provide good citizens with a less-lethal form of defense to protect their families, homes and property” said David Nance, Security Equipment Corporation’s Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

Purchase a canister of HOME DEFENSE and keep it in a secure place, away from children, in your bedroom closet or near your desk at the office. HOME DEFENSE also provides your family a self defense option when you are away. The next time either you or they are awakened or startled, HOME DEFENSE will provide a self defense option to help ensure safety and fend off multiple attackers if necessary!

Since 1975, Security Equipment Corporation has produced the most effective line of defense spray products. Branded as SABRE, SABRE RED and FRONTIERSMAN, customers are offered the finest defense sprays possible with one thought in mind: When a life is at stake, our products must be effective.

For more information about HOME DEFENSE and other Security Equipment Corporation products, contact Security Equipment Corporation at 330 Sun Valley Circle, Fenton, MO 63026 • (800) 325-9568 • Making Grown Men Cry Since 1975!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FHP-01-site1.jpg (17.2 KB, 47 views)
Old August 30, 2007, 06:52 PM   #19
JAXX

Something like what Excelsior has shown here would be a better product to use for self defense, without a doubt. Using an oil based bear spray for home defense is a super bad idea. Just think, anything powerful enough to change the mind of a 600-800 pound grizzly will reak havoc on anything in comes in contact with.....including the slightese amount of blowback the user may experience. The stuff is just down right nasty.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:01 PM   #20
45Marlin carbine

post 2487121

IMO it's a good idea if you don't have a dog to confront an intruder, and particularly for women - this would be with some training of course, maybe with the same spray canister but just loaded with some sort of 'stinky' but non-aggravating solution. course if a weapon of any sort is showing - they are paid for.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:25 PM   #21
Deaf Smith

You are not to use pepper spray in enclosed environments. I'm sure the Bear Guard will not only incapacitate the BGs, but you also. Might even kill you.

Have you ever wondered if you are alergic to the contents of a pepper spray can? Or just get a violent reaction (which is what happens when you are sprayed with it.)

I'd rather use Wasp spray, the kind that is a streem and kills wasp about 10 yards away, than use pepper spray in a house.
Old August 30, 2007, 07:38 PM   #22
rampage841512

Use bear spray on bears. For home defense use a gun. If it's dark, buy a flashlight. Don't shoot unless there is a viable threat to you or someone else.
Old September 6, 2007, 01:12 AM   #23
Democracyman

Hello

The story about the lawn dart attack was told to me by
someone I knew, I took him at his word. The reason of the conviction
was the dead guy's family had political pull. Bad press and so on.

I am going to look into the made for human pepper spray, this would
be a better product for home defense.

Be careful of your target before you fire, I think in the case of pepper
spray, you would have more leeway, still would need to be careful.

The tactical flashlight with pepper spray, I wouldn't use anyway, holding
a flashlight would make you a big easy to see target.

Ideally have both.

I didn't know that bear spray was so nasty, good to know and thanks
for the information.

Last edited by Democracyman; September 6, 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old September 8, 2007, 06:27 PM   #24
KodiakCoastie

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php

The guy should of said his attacker had a plumbata a roman weapon that is pratically identical to modern day lawn darts and used much the same way.

Old September 8, 2007, 06:33 PM   #25
Don H

Seems to me that if it wouldn't be legal to punch someone's light out (for whatever he's doing), it wouldn't be legal to drench him with pepper spray. Assault is assault.