The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2023, 06:10 PM   #1
JJ45

Got a Tisas Tank Commander

45ACP...just came today, $350 not including shipping and transfer. Series 70 with a real nice hard case, bushing tool, bore brush, obligatory lock, manual and some discount promotions for mags, etc

Very tight and seems very solid. Nice cerakote and even the mags are cerakoted.
Difficult to release the slide with a mag in place, needs a good breaking in.

Even finish, not a blemish. Came with two CheckMate mags that insert and eject perfectly. The thumb safety snaps with no mushiness. Nice checkered walnut diamond grip panels, slot head screws also cerakoted. GI type MSH and grip safety.

No extra roll marks or warnings on the exterior, at least. Only markings are on right slide; 1911A1 Tank Commander, bottom frame; ZIG M45 Turkey and left frame above trigger; Tisas Knoxville TN and the serial# Pretty much GI without the lanyard ring and definitely has blockier sights..

I'll field strip and lube and shoot it tomorrow and report back.
Old February 6, 2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Ricklin

I bought a Zig from Bud's a couple years back. My transfer dealer was really impressed, esp. so for about 325 at the time. I do need to tune the ejector, whatta ya expect for 3 and a quarter? It does throw brass from heck to breakfast, unlike my trusty G19 that practically puts it back in the box.:>)
Old February 6, 2023, 06:55 PM   #3
GlenF

Was in Trabzon for a year about 56 years ago, and remember the people there as friendly, and the food great.

I need to get a Tisas.
Old February 7, 2023, 07:57 PM   #4
JJ45

Shot the new Tank Commander have question

Shot the Tisas M45 1911A1 Tank Commander I described a few threads down

I initially was going to field strip, clean and lube the pistol but decided to take her straight from the box and shoot. I did run a brush down the bore in case any old lube was stuck in there but that's all.
When I stripped the pistol afterwards I noticed it was not completely dry but had a minimal light lube on the rails but that's all there was.

Everything visible also appeared to be cerakoted except, of course, the feed ramp which is polished bright.

Fired 100 rounds of S&B 230 G Ball without a single malfunction of any kind related to the pistol. I brought the two cerakoted CheckMate mags that came with the pistol and also a metalform with the rounded follower and an 8 round CMC PowerMag.

The controls functioned as intended. The CMate Mags ejected with authority whether loaded or not and the slide locked back solidly after last round. Brass ejected a couple feet at from 3 to 5 o'clock Although round number 100 hit me in the left cheek when ejected. Might have limp waisted that a little as I shot it left handed. I didn't do the extractor test.

The pistol shot to point of aim elevation wise at 7 yards but grouped about an inch and half left. I didn't shoot from a rest but two handed, one handed and left handed, slow fire, double tap, triple tap, empty the mag rapid fire, etc. and could easily put 5 shots into two inches at that distance slow fire. I noticed the rear sight was a hair off center so an easy fix to get her zeroed

I couldn't seat the Metalform or CMC mags when fully loaded and didn't try to force them. They did seat with minimal force when empty and thats my question. The Chekmates have Colt style hybrid feed lips with the raised dimple on the follower and they worked without a hitch That's my question, why the other mags would only seat half way. I know 1911 aficionados will know why.

Very happy with this gun.Seems like a reliable 1911, good weight and pleasant to shoot and 1/3 the cost of my Colt LW Commander that was a lot more finicky and sensitive when breaking in. I have only owned Colts and Springfields.

Incidentally, the S&B shot as well as or better than any other ball I have shot. Pretty clean too. I'm going to shoot some 230 G JHPs next. We'll see.
Old February 7, 2023, 08:19 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Most guns ship with something in them that is intended to be a preservative not a lubricant. Imho what you did was basically prove the gun can run dry. I doubt you did any damage or perceptibly shortened its life. I always field strip and throw a few drops of oil in before shooting, takes 30 seconds. First clean is after the first range trip.

Glad your happy with your new gun. Post some pics pls
Old February 7, 2023, 09:56 PM   #6
JJ45

No expert on the 1911 but had a few. The entire pistol is cerakoted and this finish seems to be heavier than normal blue or even melonite etc. It reminds me of a 1903a3 I had that had been parkerized when re arsenaled. Same color shade too.

It would appear that this seemingly heavier finish would take more breaking in but I don't know if that's the case Only 100 rounds so far, cleaned and lubed after initial 100.

100 at a time. Ammo never did grow on trees and now the acorns are a lot higher up so that's how it is I've reloaded for this cartridge in the past and have a lot of brass but not real happy loading pistol cartridges. But I might put this cartridge back on the bench.
Old February 7, 2023, 10:21 PM   #7
Steve in Allentown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
I couldn't seat the Metalform or CMC mags when fully loaded and didn't try to force them. They did seat with minimal force when empty and thats my question.
The information in this thread may be of some use. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=607513

You may want to check to see if the top round in the magazine is making contact with the ejector. The best way to determine this is to remove the slide and the magazine catch. Then insert a mag with one round loaded into it. Push the mag as far up in the frame as it will go and hold it there while you examine the relationship between the cartridge and the ejector. If there is contact, relieve the ejector where the contact is happening
Old February 8, 2023, 06:16 AM   #8
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown, View Post
The information in this thread may be of some use. https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=607513

You may want to check to see if the top round in the magazine is making contact with the ejector. The best way to determine this is to remove the slide and the magazine catch. Then insert a mag with one round loaded into it. Push the mag as far up in the frame as it will go and hold it there while you examine the relationship between the cartridge and the ejector. If there is contact, relieve the ejector where the contact is happening
Thanks Steve, always come through. So that is the answer.

But I thought about it and I'm not even going to mess with it, I got enough of the mags that do work and I don't need 8 rounders.

The mags that work perfect in the Tisas work in the Springfield but cause the Colt to bobble.The Colt likes the mags that won't seat in the Tisas. Gotta love 1911s
Old February 8, 2023, 07:12 AM   #9
jar

I had an issue with a couple Wilson Combat 920s that would not seat when fully loaded if there was a round in the chamber. Changing the follower out to a CheckMate follower solved the issue.

The two WC 920s are flat on top of the "Carry".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry-Carry3.jpg (366.4 KB, 595 views)
Old February 8, 2023, 09:36 AM   #10
Steve in Allentown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I had an issue with a couple Wilson Combat 920s that would not seat when fully loaded if there was a round in the chamber. Changing the follower out to a CheckMate follower solved the issue.
I cannot envision how a round in the chamber would prevent a fully loaded magazine from seating. I need help understanding this.
Old February 8, 2023, 04:21 PM   #11
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown, View Post
I cannot envision how a round in the chamber would prevent a fully loaded magazine from seating. I need help understanding this.
Simply no room in the inn when it was my Wilson Combat 920 magazines.

I can only report the facts and as I mentioned, the only solution I found was getting rid of the Wilson follower.
Old February 9, 2023, 05:54 AM   #12
CajunBass

I've got one in 9mm that sounds exactly like it. I've only put 100 rounds or so through it (other guns got in the way) but I really like it. Very soft shooting with the 9mm in an all steel gun. I did my usual custom work on it, consisting of a dab of white nail polish on the front sight, followed by a dab of orange a few minutes later, and it was good to go after cleaning. The sights seem to shoot to point of aim at 7 yards (115 Blazer Brass and an odd handful of various HP rounds) which took me a little getting used to, I normally use a 6 O'clock hold, but it puts them right in there once I adjusted my POA. No malfunctions with either magazine.

If it was the only pistol I had, I'd be quite happy with it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 9, 2023, 11:05 AM   #13
jar

I have the "Tanker" that has the wide spur hammer and Gen-U-Wine 1924 GI sights. I found a "Carry" slide on sale at about what I'd pay to get some better sights installed so went that route.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry-slide-02.jpg (411.1 KB, 470 views)
Old February 9, 2023, 11:43 AM   #14
44caliberkid

I’m glad you swabbed the bore. I always clean the bore of new firearm before I shoot it. I am amazed at all the junk I get out of them, from just carbon (test fire?) to sizable chunks of metal. I always clean new AR barrels for builds and find machining chips in them, dirty machining oil and just plain dirt. I got a new Uberti 1860 conversion in 44 Special recently and first two patches were carbon but then the next half dozen were rust. Bore looked bright and shiny, but I was still getting rust colored patches out of it. I switched to Ballistol instead of solvent and that got the rust out. It scares me that manufacturers test fire guns without cleaning the barrels first, ironing who knows what kind of crud into the bore.
Old February 9, 2023, 12:09 PM   #15
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
I’m glad you swabbed the bore. I always clean the bore of new firearm before I shoot it. I am amazed at all the junk I get out of them, from just carbon (test fire?) to sizable chunks of metal. I always clean new AR barrels for builds and find machining chips in them, dirty machining oil and just plain dirt. I got a new Uberti 1860 conversion in 44 Special recently and first two patches were carbon but then the next half dozen were rust. Bore looked bright and shiny, but I was still getting rust colored patches out of it. I switched to Ballistol instead of solvent and that got the rust out. It scares me that manufacturers test fire guns without cleaning the barrels first, ironing who knows what kind of crud into the bore.
I don't think this was firearm related but some other mechanical device and the manual said don't clean until broken in. For the life of me I can't remember exactly what it was.

I had a 1950 SKS that was built before they chromed the chamber and bores of these carbines. There was no corrosion in the bore but no matter what I did I could not get a patch to come through clean and I tried everything.

I'm surprised Ballistol did the trick. I use Ballistol a lot but never to remove rust. It's the best lubricant especially for black powder bores and even for a patch lube.
Old February 9, 2023, 09:51 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff