The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 29, 2022, 06:53 PM   #1
man7sell

Found this section after giving up SASS

Although my interest still lingers, still love to shoot my single action remaining pistol (Ruger Vagero Stainless Birdshead 44 mag), I have given up the SASS. Just too many other hobbies taking my time (and money).
Old November 30, 2022, 01:07 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yep. Too many interests and not enough time. I've been making hunting bags for demos for class and trying to format something.
Old November 30, 2022, 08:25 AM   #3
44 Dave

I joined SASS to shoot my wheel guns and my "73.
I only shoot locally and our season is only 6 months (Northern Wisconsin, 9 months of Winter and 3 months of bad sledding).
I do like getting together with our small group once a month to shoot.
Old November 30, 2022, 09:24 AM   #4
Hawg

I gave it up because it was really too far to travel and work was always interfering. I no longer work but live even further away.
Old November 30, 2022, 11:21 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Dang Hawg. I'm in kinda the same position. No more range b/c it's a drive (not bad) and I can step outside to chute. The camaraderie is missing though.
Old November 30, 2022, 04:54 PM   #6
CCCLVII

Makes me sad to read this. I am just getting back into it after many years of being away. I was happy to see my old name still available! I can shoot any time I like but its nice to have people that are in to "cowboy" guns rather than tactical stuff like I see at my local range.
Old November 30, 2022, 05:20 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCLVII View Post
Makes me sad to read this. I am just getting back into it after many years of being away. I was happy to see my old name still available! I can shoot any time I like but its nice to have people that are in to "cowboy" guns rather than tactical stuff like I see at my local range.
I don't think they recycle names. Once it's registered it's no longer available. You should have kept your original badge number too.
Old December 10, 2022, 12:29 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

If somebody does not pay their dues for a long time, and somebody else wants that alias, SASS will give it to them. If dues have not been paid for a long time, and nobody asks for the alias, it will remain registered to the original owner.

I no longer drive more than two hours to a CAS match, I tend to fall asleep on the drive home. There are two clubs I can shoot at that are less than an hour away.

I have slacked off on my participation in CAS for the past few years. First, it was Covid, which kept me away for two years. I attended just a couple of matches this past season. Hope to attend a few more next season.
Old December 11, 2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Jim Watson

I once met Wild Bill Hickok. He said he had been offered $1000 for his alias.

Lone Wolf Jack said he really wanted Yosemite Sam to go with his natural red hair and bushy red beard, but it was already taken.
When I met Yosemite Sam I was take aback, he rather resembled Charlie Brown, the round headed kid without even fuzz.