The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2023, 03:45 PM   #1
kgpcr

Hornady Lock N load issues

I love the progressive press but i hate the Lock N Load bushing thing with a passion. is there a way to convert it back to standard threads and do away with the bushings? Thanks for your help!
Smith M&P 40
Old February 12, 2023, 05:38 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Leave the Lock-N-load bushing in place, and just screw the dies in and out. If the bushing moves too easily, you can Loctite it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 14, 2023, 09:22 AM   #3
cgaengineer

See if the RCBS inserts will work since the new RCBS can do LNL bushings using standard dies or standard dies in the press directly. If the threads are the same you will be in luck. The female LNL parts screw out but you may need to weld a handle on a bushing to get them out.
Old February 15, 2023, 04:00 PM   #4
Metal god

Correct I believe the RCBS will fit however , may I ask what you don’t like about the system specifically ? And are you talking specifically the AP press

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 15, 2023, 04:38 PM   #5
cgaengineer

Not the OP but I’m guessing he doesn’t like the sloppiness of them and they are kinda sloppy but they are still repeatable. And yes, he’s talking about the AP.

I was hoping I was correct about the rcbs bushing inserts working, that’s great to know for future reference.
Old February 15, 2023, 05:43 PM   #6
Metal god

Fwiw I was talking it works on the single stage . the AP looks different more stream lined not sure if at has the same thread

There is also a flange at the top of the insert that works as a stop . Even if it’s the right threads the flange may make it a tight fit on that small tool head between each station

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 15, 2023, 06:24 PM   #7
cgaengineer

There’s a flange on the hornady inserts as well! If the rcbs insert is larger it wouldn’t take much for a machine shop to take some off of them to the diameter of the recess on the LNL AP. Hell you could probably do it in a drill with a file honestly, it’s not critical as long as it fits the AP recess.
Old February 15, 2023, 06:26 PM   #8
cgaengineer

Love your tagline by the way…
Old March 17, 2023, 07:12 PM   #9
Charley345

Just got reacquainted with my Hornady ammo plant and one issue that I had was seeing the powder measure die wiggle up and down while cycling. My remedy was to select a slightly thicker o-ring for the lock n load die and that worked perfectly. Now it locks in tighter and no wiggle while cycling the press.
Old March 18, 2023, 08:43 AM   #10
Woody'sDad

Great tip Charley,
I will definitely give it a try
Thanks
Old March 24, 2023, 08:50 AM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpcr
I love the progressive press but i hate the Lock N Load bushing thing with a passion. is there a way to convert it back to standard threads and do away with the bushings? Thanks for your help!
Don’t fight it. It’s not worth your effort. It works, it’s easy, it makes good ammo. Can you explain what is not to like about that?

It could be worse….it could be a wobble plate like the Dillon? Hiding from the Dillon fanboys!