The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 26, 2023, 12:06 AM   #1
bamaranger

3-1/2" M27 & nickel question

I have long been allured by the look of the 3-1/2" M27 revolver. I own a "no dash" M28. Recently I have found a 3-1/2" M27-2 BARREL ONLY for sale. The barrel is NICKEL gosh darn it!

So.....for conversations sake and disregarding the fact that dismantling a "no dash" in fairly good shape might not be a bright move........

-how difficult would it be to remove the nickel, say bead blast and reblue?
-would the M27-2 barrel screw on w/o much issue if done by a competent 'smith
-would matching an ejector rod to the barrel swap be an issue, ie could a donor rod be located from another N-frame and modified
-would it be cheaper just to locate and buy a 3-1/2" gun

Seems like I started a thread like this sometime back, but danged if I can find it.
Old February 26, 2023, 06:32 AM   #2
MC 1911

Just find a 3.5" & buy it.
Old February 26, 2023, 09:04 AM   #3
Jim Watson

SCSW4 says the M28 "no dash" was only made for two years and is worth a 30% price premium.

I trust your M28 is a 6" to be of interest for a 3.5" barrel change.

I recently read of such a gun, the buyer did not know what he was looking at.
The replies explained the checkered rib and higher polish showed that the barrel on that M28 came off a M27.

Ford's has the lowest prices on individual parts, on a barrel only, $25 to strip nickel, $90 for a brush blue that might be closest to the M28.

The barrel would screw right in, getting it "timed" with the sight straight up and the cylinder gap right would be the gunsmithing job. I don't know of anybody local, there was a guy in Huntsville who might be suitable, if he is still in business.

Seems to be, Josh Hamilton, an automatic gunsmith there, recommended Mike McClellan dba mmgunsmith.com in Hazel Green for revolver work.

The extractor rod should serve unless the shank and shoulder of the replacement barrel had to be cut a lot to line up.

A sound M27 would be up in the "teens".

Last edited by Jim Watson; February 26, 2023 at 09:19 AM.
Old February 26, 2023, 03:27 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Mechanically, since the 27 and the 28 are the same, any M27 barrel can be fitted to a 28 by a competent gunsmith.

Finish, on the other hand, is going to be different. The rib on M27 barrels is grooved to reduce glare. On 28s, the rib is "bead blasted" and smooth.

M28 factory finish is "satin blue". M 27s were "high lustre blue" or nickeled.

You can have the barrel fitted and enough work done to get a finish match if you desire and spend the $.

Whether or not you should is another question...

I wouldn't even consider it...
(my 28s are all -2s which are much more common I still wouldn't consider it, but, that's just me)
Old February 28, 2023, 10:41 PM   #5
bamaranger

no dash

Again, this is for conversations sake.....whether or not I would ever do it is another matter. I realize enough cash will make about any project possible, but I was curious if such a conversion were realistically plausible. Sounds like it can be done, somewhat practically.

My M28 "no dash" is agency marked, 4" , not sure from where. As up to this point I have been too cheap to send off for a letter for it, I doubt if I would ever spill the cash for the conversion. It really is a grand old gun and I wish it could talk. Likely saw some stuff in its day.

Still, those 3-1/2" guns have a look about them, sinister and all business. Thanks to all for interest on my musings and replies thus far.
Old February 28, 2023, 10:53 PM   #6
Jim Watson

A big project for half an inch.

Agency markings are of considerable interest to S&W enthusiasts.
Ask on
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php
Old March 1, 2023, 11:35 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Sure sounds like the collector value of an agency-marked no-dash would let you sell the 28 for more than you need to buy a 3.5" 27.

As to the nickel barrel, the $25 service Jim mentioned is the way to go for stipping a single part. The stripping chemicals to do your own cost more, and you might have hazmat shipping charges with them. Simple rust bluing could be done at home and will produce a satin blue, but it is blue and not an S&W blue-black, so you'd want to try it on some scrap barrel steel first to see how it compares to the original frame finish.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 7, 2023, 01:03 AM   #8
bamaranger

replies

Thanks all for the replies.

If nothing else, these conversations have given me pause to consider a letter for the "no dash" M28 that has been mentioned previously.
Old March 7, 2023, 09:19 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Show and tell at Pop's on Wednesday.

NOT scheduled.

Last edited by Jim Watson; March 7, 2023 at 11:33 PM.