The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 9, 2022, 05:11 AM   #26
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstanced View Post
are there any stores that take cryptocurrency to purchase guns?
Bear in mind, the us government is treating crypto transactions as stock trades, so each individual transaction will have to be reported to the irs at tax time for capitol gains and losses.

I am not aware of any legitimate websites, or any gun shops that accept crypto as payment.
Old April 10, 2022, 01:01 PM   #27
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by Aqiula Blanca:... it appears to me that you have not explained what it is you hope to gain from a class. You also haven't told us what your current level of firearms training and experience is. Without knowing that and what Michigan requires as a prerequisite for a carry permit, we can't really advise you.

The progression outlined by John KSa in post #5 sums it up pretty well. It's important to recognize that he's not talking about one course. There's too much there for a neophyte to absorb in one class, or one weekend.

Please tell us more about your current level of firearms familiarity, and what you want to get out of a class.

For someone who has little or no experience with firearms (or with handguns), fundamentals of firearms handling and safety are the paramount issues to be addressed first. The NRA Basic Pistol class is fairly good for that, although some instructors don't think that class provides enough legal information about carrying a firearm (it's not intended to), or enough information about holsters and related aspects of carry (again, it's not intended to).
I agree.

Let me add that staying safe involves more than proficiency in gun handling and some legal explanation.

Add tactics--how to avoid, recognize, and react to potential danger; add shoot/no-shoot situations; and add minimizing danger for bystanders.

Force-on-Force training can help a lot with this.