The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 6, 2018, 04:32 PM   #1
rwilson452

M1A mags

I bought a Springfield M1A just before winter set in. I have been slowly getting mags. The best fit for mine seems to be the Checkmate mags.

I am a sad panda. I thought I would try a Magpul mag as I like the ones I have for my AR. Sadly Magpul doesn't make an M14/M1A mag. Maybe if enough people bugged them...
Old March 6, 2018, 05:50 PM   #2
KROIL

Thermold also makes magazines for the M1a. They are cheap and not recomended. Stay with checkmates and the overpriced SA mags and be happy.
Old March 7, 2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Charlie98

I've found the best place to get them is 44MAG.com, they are a distributor for the CMI mags and good people to deal with. The CMI mag is the most reliable and that's what I have.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old March 7, 2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Sadly Magpul doesn't make an M14/M1A mag.
The lockup of an M14/M1A mag does not lend itself well to inexpensive polymer construction. The locking tab needs to be steel to resist breaking, and one might imagine that polymer feed lips of that design may be too thin to prevent feed lip spread.

Magpul and Circle 10 make high-quality polymer AK mags with molded-in steel lockup points, but they also cost much more than all-steel Comblock AK mags.
Old March 7, 2018, 06:25 PM   #5
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_98 View Post
I've found the best place to get them is 44MAG.com, they are a distributor for the CMI mags and good people to deal with. The CMI mag is the most reliable and that's what I have.
I got all my M1A mags from 44MAG. Their low price on the excellent CMI 20rd mags, the current US military issue magazine, makes it silly to look any farther. Every once in a while they run a sale and that's the time to stock up. (Right now they show out of stock)