The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Locknload1987

.223 hornady 68gr bthp with ar comp O.A.L.

Hi im new to the forum and new to reloading.
I wanted to know if anyone here has loaded any 68 gr hornady bthp in winchester brass with ar comp powder?
If so what was your OAL. Mine are currently at 2.580
Is this too long? should i crimp? Is it supposed to be a compressed round?
Old April 15, 2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Zen Archery

Is your barrel Wylde or standard?
Old April 15, 2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Locknload1987,

Welcome to the forum.

Hornady recommends 2.250" COL for that bullet. 2.260" is the SAAMI maximum COL to fit all magazines with any bullet in the 223 Remington. Your 2.580" is a number that would not fit in most chambers and would have most bullets falling out of the case mouth, so I assume that's a typo. I would use Hornady's number until you are ready to experiment further.

Edit: I just checked Alliant's data and they use 2.250" as well. Their maximum load of AR Comp is 23.4 grains, and there is no indication that it is compressed. The starting load is 21.0 grains. Start with that and work up in 0.4 grain steps, watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 15, 2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Locknload1987

My barrel is a 5.56 nato 1-9 twist i have a mil spec m16 bcg.
Yes that was a typo my measured OAL is 2.256.
Using a decapped casing and a bullet i got a measurement of 2.400.
My current powder charge is 23.4gr and i cant hear the powder rattle in the shell anymore.
Thankyou uncle nick i shall remeasure my powder charges and lable and take notes.
Old April 16, 2018, 07:43 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

One thing to be aware of is that powders can vary in bulk density enough that one lot might be slightly compressed while the next might not. Western lists bulk densities for the Accurate and Ramshot lines and some of the Accurate powder bulk densities are ±5.6%, so you could have an 11.2% difference in fill with the same weight of two lots at the extreme ends of that range.

If you settle on a charge that seems pretty loose in the case, you can try magnum primers to better pressurize the extra empty space. Magnum or standard, whichever produces the lower velocity SD is generally the better choice, though you do need to back your charge down and work back up if you change the primer. It's a good idea to do with any component change, though brass brand doesn't usually make a difference in .223 Rem (it does in 300 Win Mag, for example, where different headstamps have significantly different internal volumes).

You can use your 2.400" for single-loaded rounds, but you'd have to check to see if it fit the magazine. Figure pressure to go up about 20% if the bullet is in full contact with the throat. Backing the charge down 10% will compensate for that with typical rifle powders. you can then experiment with different COL's to see if one has an accuracy sweet spot.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2018, 11:32 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...current powder charge is 23.4gr..." You work the load up to that or just pick it? 23.4 grains of AR Comp being the max load for a 68 grain bullet. That would apply to a 69 or 70 grain bullet too. Although Alliant's site shows they tested a 69 to 23.2. The few grains difference won't matter though. However, you should work the load up from the start load to find the best accuracy. Not just go to the max load.
Old April 16, 2018, 02:59 PM   #7
hagar

I load mine as close to 2.25 as I can get to make sure they fit in a magazine.