The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 31, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
bmadddd7

Question about owning multiple Houses in different states

if I own multiple houses in different states but only live at one of them is it legal to purchase things that are illegal in the state of my main house and have them shipped to an FFL in another state where I own a home. Ofcourse I would never bring them into the state where I live if they are illegal
Old July 31, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
noelf2

Owning a house or land doesn't make you a resident of the state in which you own it.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
FlyFish

IANAL, but this is what I understand the law to be: If the "things" that you're talking about are firearms, it wouldn't be legal for the FFL to transfer them to you - as noelf2 said, you're not a resident of the other state(s), which is necessary for handguns, and, for long guns, they need to be legal in your state of residence. If the "things" aren't firearms (hi-cap mags, etc.), and are otherwise legal in the other states, you presumably could have them shipped directly to one of your other addresses, if the retailer will do it - some won't ship to a state other than the one your credit card is billed to. You may be able to get around that by getting a CC using one of the other addresses. Of course, bringing the item(s) back into your state of residence would be illegal.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:17 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

You can't game the gun system. Felonies abound and await the gamer.
Old July 31, 2013, 12:19 PM   #5
rwilson452

I can assure you you can't buy pistols out of state your residents is in. In some states they will allow you to buy long arms. possibly get a resident Conceal Carry permit. It depends on the state. However if you were to transport any firearm or other accessory to your home state where it's illegal you could wind up at the wrong table in a court room. For instance here in PA standard size mags are totally unregulated. Step across the line into into NYS and your in trouble.
Old July 31, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
musher

It is currently legal to purchase a firearm which is not a handgun from a licensed dealer in any state.

It is also absolutely possible and legal to be a resident of multiple states (though not simultaneously), and so be able to legally purchase handguns or firearms that are illegal in other states in those states where you are a resident. For example, a person living in Wyoming in the summer would be a resident of Wyoming. If that person were to move to Texas for the winter, they would be a resident of Texas during that period of time.

Quote:

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]
source: ATF FAQ
Old July 31, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

musher has it. BUT ...

The OP said he owns houses in two states but doesn't live in one of them. Is it a rental property? According to the BATFE guidelines, you are only a resident of "state #2" during those times when you are actually living in your house in that state. If "house #2" is an income-producing rental property that you never live in, then you cannot use your ownership of that house to qualify as a "resident" for buying handguns in "state #2."