The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 11, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1
lagavulin62

Who makes the best AK-47

I know you guys will just direct me to a sticky and that's fine but I could be finally getting the AK virus. So that's the big question. I am a member of SOG and are those ones on their site any good? I notice they have ones from Romania, Yugoslavia, maybe a few more. What are things I should look for in an AK? My apologies for the boring questions. Not trying to put anyone to sleep but I don't know where to start.
Old July 11, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
tobnpr

I buy from SOG too sometimes, but as an O3 FFL.

You have an 01 FFL? Otherwise, you do realize that AK's are not C&R eligible and you have to have it shipped to a dealer, anyway, right?

As such, this thread is really in the wrong section...

Point is, SOG's prices have, IMO, never settled back from a bit haywire yet- as other dealers' have.

Check around. I have a Romy WASR-10/63, would buy another in a heartbeat if I wanted a second AK.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 11, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
lagavulin62

Tobnpr,

Yes I have only the class 3 FFL and I was aware it was a class 1 gun. I didn't want to add too much in the post but their site is sort of confusing when it comes to buying FFL 1 guns. It reads like they won't even let you order and have shipped to a transfer dealer since they say the prices are wholesale? I may have read that wrong. What has been your experience? I have come close to buying the Bulgarian Mak when they are in stock but because of the confusion didn't bother. If it's just the same deal as buying from any dealer and arranging the transfer then that's fine. But not going to hassle with my dealer calling in the order, then wondering if he will mark up etc.... Please advise me on how that works.

Your information is just what I am looking for. So since SOG's prices are still a little high(and yea seems I remember ak's going for like 400 before the panic) can you list some of the dealers that are offering decent prices?

Also how do the SOG AK's rank as far as quality? I mean take the Romanians for example, are they primarily original or more just put together by SOG. Which do you think are better examples? The Yugo's or Romanians?

Sorry for the interview. lol Thanks
Old July 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #4
lagavulin62

BTW I read some on Wikipedia. As many of you know that pretty much cements a new addiction to whatever it is you are researching. "I just gots to have my AK".
Old July 11, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

The AK47 's mentioned in thris thread are not C&R and therefore don't even belong in this forum!
If you actually have a class 3 license you should know It allows you to buy about anything! A Colector of Curio and Relic Firearms is a class 03 FFL
Correct information please.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 11, 2013, 04:40 PM   #6
cal10

I just picked up an M & M M-10 (AK semi-auto) for $800, it's a Romanian made rifle brand new with Tapco trigger, 3 rail handguard w/covers, hogue grip, Tapco gas piston, and Tapco stock. A lot of extras already included, the finish on the reciever is lacking but it's an AK and function is the main point of these rifles. I beleive these come from the same plant as the WASR rifles, but they are upgraded with "tactical" parts. My LGS had 100 of them and they were gone in 2 days. They still have the pricier AK's but they are not selling so quick.
Old July 11, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
MC 1911

I think the M&M M-10 is about the best deal out there right now. All new parts and chrome lined barrel & gas tube. They come in several configurations from about $650 - $800.00. I bought one and its as good as my Arsenal for 1/2 the price.

Down side is the aluminum handguards/rails get hot quick. You need to use the plastic rail covers or gloves for serious shooting.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:36 PM   #8
lagavulin62

Ok I will look at those models and check out the suggestions. This gives me at least a starting point. Thanks all.

Cheapshooter, obvious mistake with posting this in the C&R forum. I wasn't even thinking about that, just that the AK has so much historical significance.

And thanks so much for the info but I can assure you I am well aware of what I can and can't buy with a C&R license. In fact I even know it's a class 3 license. Hows that for correct information?
Old July 11, 2013, 11:23 PM   #9
tahunua001

this really is not a C&R topic. there are no true AK47s or other that actually qualify as C&R, at least not here in the states. the ones you see are mixed and jumbled with US parts and made after todays date 1963 so really...

wrong forums. go over to the semi auto forums, there is a thread running there right now with this exact same title.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:45 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
even know it's a class 3 license. Hows that for correct information?
Not to good, C&R is a class 03 license. Class 3 is a dealer in NFA firearms. Full auto, short barrel, and destructive devices.
BTW, my AK is a Romanian WASSR 10 but It does accept, and came with a double stack mag. Don't remember exactly when I got It, maybe 7 or 8 years ago for something between $250-300. It has functioned great as long as I use decent mags! Accuracy isn't bad for a rattle battle gun, and it's lots of fun to shoot. Not sure of the importer, thinking probably Century.

Last edited by Cheapshooter; July 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 12, 2013, 12:00 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
there are no true AK47s or other that actually qualify as C&R, at least not here in the states
Saw one that might qualify at the Knob Creek MG shoot last April. Not sure of the date It was brought in, but being a Nam bring back It might just be getting close to the 50 year mark. Of course It was also an NFA gun, and the price was somewhere around 30K!
Old July 12, 2013, 12:55 PM   #12
lagavulin62

I will make a call to SOG and see if I can get more details on their Romanians and then check around for better prices.