The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Blair

Picking a powder for a load?

From a reloading manual...

How do you select a good powder for your load combo that will give good accuracy and energy / ft lbs?

Besides trial and error.

Example: Sierra #5 manual 45acp 230gr fmj

I've been using Win 231 at 5.3gr giving 800 fps and 327 ft/lbs one step under max for that powder

It shows Bullseye at 4.9gr giving 850 fps and 369 ft/lbs one step under max for that powder

Using less powder for more speed and ft/lbs
Old January 29, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2
gundog5

When i pick a powder I look for the powder that will give me the highest fps over a wide range of bullet weights. I saves me from going back and forth between powders for any given cal.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
eldermike

There are several factors I consider. But there is no replacement for experience. What I did years ago was start a page on every load and add to it things about that load as I learned them over time. I might not get around to using the crony on them for a while but I eventually will. I can't test every weather condition on a single day but over time I will shoot that load in cold and hot weather and make notes. I staple targets to that page. I have even shot many of them into test gel and some homemade wet news paper bullet stops and measured the results. I give the page a revision table and keep track of the things I changed over time. I was just looking in my book tonight, it has become my best reloading manual.

The most important thing is start out reduced and work up to published data. Every chamber and bore is different.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Slamfire

For the 45ACP I look at history. I found in Clawson's book "Colt .45 Service Pistols" the original velocity and powder used in the 1910 cartridges. The original velocity was 800 fps and the powder was Bullseye.

I also look at what is most popular in the cartridges. W231 was very popular with pistol shooters back in the 80's, when I was shooting IPSC, so was Bullseye, and that is an indication that powders are excellent choices.

I tested a number of loads with W231 and Bullseye till I hit combinations that propelled a 230 FMJ or 230 LRN to just at 800 fps. I found with both W231 and Bullseye I could really cut the loads and still have excellent function. This is good as powder puff loads are easy on the shooter. The powders that are best in 1911 type semi autos are those that give a sharp, quick kick to the mechanism but have a quick pressure drop off. Powders that are slower are hard on the mechanism. Blue Dot is an example of this, my slide slams back hard regardless of velocity and the case is ejected at least 15 to 20 feet. High slide velocities will peen the frame and are to be avoided.

Maybe if you are running something like a Thompson submachine gun the slower powders might help function a heavier mechanism, but I would advise not to go any slower than Unique in a 45ACP.

Then I ran my own tests with various estate sale powders. I found Green Dot worked very well in the 45ACP, if you get a bargain on that powder try it. Unique works well in the 45 ACP.

I have used AA#5, a ball powder, while it meters better I don’t see any advantages in cleanliness, velocities, or velocity spreads. I will buy ball powders if they are cheaper than the flake, but I think ball powders are inferior.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Colorado Redneck

Big science fair experiment

Hand loading is one of those activities that can become addictive. Probably most of us that load our own end up with a shelf full of half empty powder jugs that we used for a while and then moved on to another. Some loaders are opinionated about powders, based on their personal experience. Defining what results and goals you are trying to attain is a good first step.

Read in forums like this, read various load manuels, and understand that there is no "magical" powder, just powders that are different than others in various ways. Examples:
a. How bulky the powder is, ie, how full is the case
b. Ease of flow---ball powders vs. flake powders etc.
c. Range of velocities possible with the load you want. Some powders are very limited in the pressures they will work well.
d. Short barrel/long barrel
e. Some powders are cleaner burning than others
f. Muzzle flash

Have fun!
Old January 30, 2013, 08:08 AM   #6
donkee

I chose my one pistol powder the lame way. I went through my loading manuals and found the powder that I could use on all the pistol calibers I load for.

There were a couple to choose from but I went with Unique for some reason.

It has been working fine for me for going on a decade.

It does not meter perfectly with the lee auto disc but is dang close.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
dickttx

I did not want to end up with a whole slew of powders when I started reloading again about three years ago. I wanted to reload 9mm, 38/357, 41 Mag, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.
Searching my old manuals and current on-line data I found that W231 was listed on each of those calibers. Then I found that HP38 was the same powder and $1 per pound cheaper. I bought a 1# can and tried it on those rounds. I got satisfactory results on all. Not so great on the magnums, but usable, and I don't shoot them that much anymore. It worked very well in the 9mm and 45 ACP. I have since added 38 Super to my lineup and have very good results with it also. None of my loads are anywhere near the top.
After trying the first pound, I have since bought 8# jugs of the HP38. At about 5.5gn average, 10K of primers will just about take care of an 8# jug, so it makes ordering easy.
I am old and forgetful and I don't have to worry about what powder I am using.
Your requirements may be different than mine.