The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
tahunua001

Jack Ross 45ACP ammo review

hello all,
I recently came across Jack Ross ammo and decided I would stockpile some of it. when it arrived I decided that this would be a great time to do a little experimenting and write a review about them.

my initial impressions were mixed.
1. they have the common decency to call it reloaded ammunition. they don't try to church it up and make it sound like the greatest thing in the world by calling it "remanufactured" or "brand new using recycled materials". honesty is a lost form of marketing and I like it.

2. the price is fairly decent. not quite comparable to tula but definitely competitive with other brands of reman ammo.

3. 500 rounds comes with an ammo can which they dont even try to advertise as "free".

4. it took 2 full days for the ammo to arrive at my door, quite swift compared to other places.

this is when it starts to get mixed...

one of the cans was broken upon arrival. however, the stickers are restickable so I was able to transfer to a 30 cal ammo can and keep the label so I don't have to guess what's in it.

after we got the can situation all cleared up, I was able to turn my attention to the ammo itself.
1. it is range brass. all mixed headstamps but was what I was expecting anyway. sometimes places that sell reman ammo get loads of brass seconds from PRVI and other places so it's nice to get matching headstamps.

2. this is be far the nicest reman ammo I have ever seen. the brass is as clean as it came from the factory. the attention to detail is incredible. no dings, dents, scrapes, scratches or blemishes of any kind. I would have never expected this quality in a million years.

now it gets to the fun part. field testing. I ran 32 rounds of this as well as US surplus M1911 to compare accuracy. I tested in two different handguns, my Springfield XDM45 compact and an Argentinian M1938. all shots were at 7 and 10 yards with my younger brother and I taking turns with 5 shot groups.

here is the target with the M1911.

using B27 targets, only 3 shots made it into the X ring with only 6 inside the 10 ring. the little brother missed the head 3 times with the M1938. at 7 yards I was just able to get two shots of M1911 into the scoring silhouette with the XDM.

then came the Jack Ross...

at ten yards the entire first 5 shot group made it into the X ring from the XDM. with the M1938, all shots made it into the 10 ring. all head shots were inside of a 3 inch group and at 10 yards I was able to get 2 shots into the scoring silhouette.

all in all. this stuff is amazingly accurate, amazingly clean and amazingly high quality for factory reloads. the ammo cans could be a little tougher but all in all I would heavily recommend them... I think If I can find someone to buy the 1200 rounds of surplus I have left I will likely buy another 1000 rounds of this.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2
WC145

I thought they were out of business. Glad to hear they aren't.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 13, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Dc777

Where did you find the ammo?

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:57 PM   #4
tahunua001

https://www.jackrossammo.com/.45-Auto/
Old December 14, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
jonnyc

What is an "Argentinian M1938"?
Old December 14, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
tahunua001

it's a lot like a 1911 without the grip safety. a lot of times they call them Ballister Molinas but it's shorter to just say 1938.
Old December 15, 2013, 12:08 AM   #7
jonnyc

Very familiar with the BM, never heard it referred to as an M1938.