The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 26, 2010, 05:10 PM   #26
mec

" Almost never" is good. I've never broken one myself but have a friend that put them in his USFAs and has broken two of them. We were fairly flabbergasted. Another guy broke the one in his Freedom arm - the version with the small frame. There was something wrong with that batch of springs though-or so it was said.
Old August 26, 2010, 06:28 PM   #27
denster

Mec. That is unusual. Most of those are made from music wire that gets it's spring from work hardening in the drawing process not heat treating and are almost unbreakable. They can take a set if overbent but not break. I wonder what the batch you are talking about was made from?
Old August 26, 2010, 08:08 PM   #28
mec

don't know. One was from freedom arms the others were probably wolff. The Fa one had a visible kink at one of the bends and that was thought to be the problem. the FA guy had a tackle box full of spare parts and replaced the spring right away. I think he had experienced the problem before.
I still trust 'em a lot more than the flat springs though the ones on the Uberti single actions and caplock revolvers are a lot better than they were a decade or so ago.
Old August 26, 2010, 08:43 PM   #29
denster

The Uberti springs have improved greatly since they thinned them down and started sliting them back to the screw hole. Haven't broken one in a long time.
Old August 26, 2010, 09:06 PM   #30
mec

The uberti percussion revolvers used to be good for a couple of shooting sessions before one leg of the trigger/bolt spring crumbled off. I haven't broken one in a long time but have broken a couple of hand springs and keep prefited hand assemblies on hand because of that. That is the main reason I appreciate the spring/plunger arrangement they put on the model Ps

Last edited by mec; August 28, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old August 26, 2010, 10:29 PM   #31
Model-P

Even a paper clip works in a pinch.

Get a good quality flat spring. They break rarely enough that it might be a good time to disassemble your gun for cleaning when it does anyhow. Those wire springs just don't sound right to me.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:12 PM   #32
MJN77

They sound and work fine for me.