The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
BoneDigger

Winchester 1200 question

Is it possible to replace the slide release lever on a 1200 with one that is slightly larger?

Todd
Old July 27, 2008, 09:38 AM   #2
BoneDigger

Anyone?

Any ideas?

Todd
Old July 27, 2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Slopemeno

I doubt anything like that has ever been made, as the 120 preceeds the "tacti-kool" era. If you really, really need one (and I assure you that you don't) buy an extra part, take it to a welder and have it welded up, file away everything that doesn't look like an oversized control, and cold blue it.

Proper technique will get you where youre trying to go. Empty the gun. Double check that it's empty, both chamber and magazine. Dry fire it in a safe direction, and stop. You now have a gun with an empty chamber and the hammer down on the empty chamber. At this point you don't have to hit the slide release to cycle the gun. If you load the tube, the gun is now in what's called "cruiser-ready". Empty chamber, hammer down, mag loaded. To bring it into action all you have to do is cycle the gun.
Old July 27, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
norsecat

slide release lever

Depending on what it's made of it can be enlarged by welding a tab on to it.
Old July 27, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
BoneDigger

Thanks!

I appreciate the input. I'm not really looking for anything too much larger. I'm wondering if the slide release from the 1300 series would be larger, and if so, could it interchange with the 1200? The one on the 1200 is very small, almost like a small raised "bump" under the receiver. I don't anticipate it really being an issue, but it would certainly add to the gun.

Todd
Old August 10, 2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Wildebees

Winchester 1200 question

This is rather late, I know, as the issue was talked about some time ago.

May I just say that there is a very good reason why the shooter has to feel for the exact postion of the release button and delibereately push it in order to open the slide for whatever reason. It must not be easy to inadvertently locate and push this button.

This is in essence a self defense gun, and a very reliable one at that. Please believe me that in a difficult situation with high stress and high workload and anxiety, where you do NOT want to inadvertently open you slide at THE inopportune moment the original design is exactly right. Practise and practise again, in the dark or with closed eyes until your right thumb can find it each time with the muzzle pointing upwards.

In South Africa gun owners now have to go through endless amounts of trouble to keep this weapon on our licences. Because it is such an excellent self defense weapon we should not really have it...

Another thing, if you have it as an SD weapon, please be prepared of the fact that firing it inside your house will cause immediate temporary deafness as well as night blindness - the flash is amazing.