The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 2007, 04:09 PM   #51
markj

Quote:
I've upgraded to a flame-thrower
I modified the door knob so it runs a million volts and 30 amps right thru em. Easy t osweep off the stoop after they have been converted to dust...

Wild Alaska, you get my vote for best answer. Used to answer the door that way when them well dressed up religious folk knocked on the door.

Sure am glad I live where we just dont have these kinds of problems. All of my neighbors and myself are well armed and all of us hunt. We are bikers too so that may havfe something to do with it. A 2 mile road full of bikers. House every 1/4 mile or so. We shoot a lot too so we keep in shape and on target. But then again I am not a spring chicken, seen a lot of crap that blew my mind a bit. Folks will do just about anything to each other it seems. Move to where "they" are not. Worked for me
Old November 30, 2007, 04:52 PM   #52
Edward Nigma

Quote:
That is a image I did not need at 7:33am.
That's an image I don't think I ever want to see!
Old November 30, 2007, 07:12 PM   #53
NGIB

This thread reminds me of something that always made me a bit nervous. On Halloween (back when it was safe to take the kids trick or treating), there were a lot of unlocked doors on every street and it always seemed like the perfect day for bad folks to have their way. About 15 years ago on this day, I placed my .357 on a little table near the door within quick reach. My wife looked at me like I was crazy until I explained it to her. Never had a problem but I sure felt better and did the same thing every year...
Old November 30, 2007, 07:54 PM   #54
Edward429451

Answer the door with a gun all the time? Sure why not. It's only paranoia if nothing ever happens, if it does then I guess you'd be a tactical expert for being prepared.

There is no de-militarized zone (aka good neighbrohood) so I'll go armed to the door, thanks.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:14 AM   #55
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
I just yank the door open and stand there in the nude.
ADW? Assault with a Dangling Weapon?
Old December 1, 2007, 04:34 PM   #56
C Carman

Maybe everyone already has one of these so no one mentioned it, every house i've lived in here in So Cal has had one. Maybe its just a Kali thing. These security doors are pretty nice. I always keep the deadbolt locked so i can open my door and see out but still have something between me and whoever's outside.

They are also really hard to seen in thru, another nice bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door.JPG (55.3 KB, 125 views)
Old December 1, 2007, 07:16 PM   #57
jheitertusa

I look through the peephole to see who it is. Usually just the Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, or neighbors selling girlscout cookies.

my neighborhood is about as quiet as it gets. Still, if someone is knocking late at night, I'd be prepared.
Old December 1, 2007, 07:40 PM   #58
oldbillthundercheif

It's not just a CA thing, carman. Just about everyone down here has one unless they have a wall and gate out front.

Those are popular in Chicago as well.
Old December 1, 2007, 07:44 PM   #59
superfast61821

I have a sticker on my door that clearly warns... life, liberty and property will all be defended by an armmed homeowner.
Any one unexpected gets greeted with glock and if the hour is really awkward it's a holstered Glock and a mossberg 500. And I live in a "quiet" neighborhood.
However I have what I call Creepy Neighbor Guy. 4 years ago he assualted and stabbed his wife. He went to Jail she got a divorce and Order of protection. Now he's out OP has expired and guess who is back living next door to me. I called the cops the first time I saw him not knowing the op expired, turned out though he had a warrant for FTA so they picked him up on that. Needless to say he wasn't happy when he got back home and made several threats. I told the police but nothing was done.
Bottom line beter to have it and not need it than Vica-versa.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:21 PM   #60
CZ for HD

Quote:
Being single for 6 years has made me this way. Not having someone to call 911 for you while you are dealing with bad guys will adjust your tatics. People have been attacked at their doors. If I am paranoid, then so be it.
Sheesh, you ask for our opinion, someone gives it to you and you take offense. Relax guy
Old December 3, 2007, 12:23 AM   #61
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
That's odd. I don't recall being offended.
Old December 3, 2007, 02:00 PM   #62
markj

Quote:
I have a sticker on my door that clearly warns
Mine says "Contents inside protected by Jesus" I dont fear. I dont answer the door armed. I dont think everyone is a bad guy out to get me. Been living that way since the late 50s and it has done me well. Now some of the younger crowd? Seem to fear everything and want to shoot anything scares em. I heartily recommend classes, lots of classes. A relative or two in LEO work to question is also a good idea.
Old December 7, 2007, 04:31 PM   #63
AdamSean

I don't usually answer the door with it in hand, but it is within reach if I need it. The door makes for a good leverage point to break an intruders arm if they stick it in.
Old December 7, 2007, 04:35 PM   #64
JBriggs

I always bring one to the door with me if I am not expecting someone, but I keep it out of view. Once, I freaked out my preacher by answering the door at nigth with a shotgun. I have learned that it is better to be low key but ready.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:44 PM   #65
blueridge

I answered the door last night with a Glock 17 holstered on my side. It was the UPS guy, I don't think he even noticed.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:50 PM   #66
Eghad

Quote:
I just yank the door open and stand there in the nude.

WildswmbohatesthatAlaska TM
How many ordinances and federal regulations does that violate

NRA Life Member
Old December 7, 2007, 08:13 PM   #67
grymster2007

Quote:
“How many ordinances and federal regulations does that violate”?
Maybe AK is an open carry state, but there damn well ought to be some limits.

Regardless, it takes some serious stones to answer the door that way…. Ahhh hell, I give up!
Old December 7, 2007, 08:52 PM   #68
dralarms

I'm always armed so that's the answer. Depends on how I'm "dressed" as to how I'm amred and that all I'm going to say about that.
Old December 7, 2007, 10:24 PM   #69
Thunderhawk88

I have 2 good size dogs that'll wake the dead when anyone, friend or foe, comes to the door. During the day I'm not all that concerned but at night, if I am not expecting someone, then I'll have a gun in my right hand as I open the door with my left.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:01 AM   #70
T. O'Heir

"...and you aren't expecting company..." Who could be vacuum cleaner salesmen, Girl Guides selling cookies, assorted religious missionaries, etc, etc. Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat. If you can't assess a threat, you have no business having a firearm for defense.
'No Soliciting' stickers on doors mean absolutely nothing. Door to door sales types are trained to ignore them. So are missionaries.
Old December 8, 2007, 03:05 AM   #71
TheNatureBoy

"Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat." Sounds like good advice to me. I'm surprised at the number of posts that recommend opening the door day or night without checking to see who is there.

Answering the door in the nude! Whats up with that?
Old December 8, 2007, 09:19 AM   #72
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
"Look out the friggin' window and assess the threat." Sounds like good advice to me. I'm surprised at the number of posts that recommend opening the door day or night without checking to see who is there.
Look out the window, what a concept. If there is a window to look out. And no, at night I doubt if a Girl Scout selling cookies (haven't had one come to the door in years), or a Vacuum Cleaner Salesman will be at my door.

Quote:
If you can't assess a threat, you have no business having a firearm for defense.
That statement I think is just arrogant.
Old December 8, 2007, 12:55 PM   #73
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

All right, folks; let's tone it down a bit, shall we?

Not everyone can look out a window to see who's there. I have a split entry home with a somewhat recessed front door, making that impossible.

I solved the problem in several ways.

Surveillance camera above and just to the side of the door. They're dirt cheap today and there are a host of wireless cameras so you don't have to drill, run wire, etc. I have a second one on the corner of my house that's mounted on a cheap Radio Shack antenna rotor so I can pan 270 degrees. It's also great when I'm watching TV & too engrossed in a good show to go to the door . Mine is set up with an infrared remote A-B switch so I can hit a button on my remote to switch to the camera, and back to my show.

Second. An iron barred security storm door. When I open my main door, I can converse through the bars with absolutely no chance of anyone forcing entry.

Third. On the off chance that I really do have a bad guy at my door, I have a holster velcroed to the inside of my main door, just above the doorknob. The gun is usually my Colt Det. Special. No one can see it from the outside, and while my hand's on the doorknob, it's only inches from the butt of the gun.

And finally, my 206 pound English Mastiff's bark is sufficient to make salesmen peddle their wares elsewhere .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 9, 2007, 02:01 AM   #74
BikerRN

Quote:
I usually have gun in holster, hand on gun, when I answer the door in such situations.

I do the same thing.
Old December 9, 2007, 03:53 AM   #75
Alex45ACP

If I'm not expecting anyone, I usually walk to the door (quietly) and look out the peephole. I decide what to do from there, if it's not someone I know I usually don't even bother answering the door. The only time I don't have a gun on me is when I'm asleep or in the shower, and in those cases it is nearby.

This is one reason I really hated my old house, the front door had windows, so the person on the porch could see you walking up to the door.

If you have to answer the door for some reason, one tip I heard that I thought was really clever is to shout "I'll get it" even (especially) if you're the only one home. If the person is a criminal, they will know/think there is more than one person in the house, and may be more inclined to leave you alone.