The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 2, 2013, 12:08 AM   #1
LockedBreech

Duty/Service Pistols: What did you use, how did you like it?

It seems every firearm enthusiast has a niche. Some love World War 2 rifles, some love bolt rifles, some love classic revolvers.

My passion has always been the duty pistols. Even though these are often less than glamorous polymer pistols dictated by cost and maintenance, I have been interested in the day-to-day sidearm that men and women who serve depend on, or depended on in the past. Revolvers and semis are included in this mix.

It has been a while since we had one of these threads, Whether it was a Glock 22, a Smith & Wesson Model 10, or a Beretta 96, and whether you served as a security guard, police officer, or in the armed forces, and whether you loved or hated the gun and why, post your stories here if you care to.

Last edited by LockedBreech; May 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:14 AM   #2
kraigwy

I was issued and carried a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman during most of my 20 years in LE. If I was ever to get back into LE it would be my number one choice, bar none.

The department gave me the revolver when I retired so now it makes one heck of a bowling pin gun with the same LSWCs I carried when I was on the job.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 2, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Sidearms...

I've used a few issued & PODA(private owned, dept approved) sidearms.

I've used; a M9 9x19mm/9mmNATO, a S&W model 19 4" barrel .357magnum, a Taurus 82 4" barrel nickeled .38spl, a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size, a Rossi .38spl 4" barrel/blue steel, a Ruger GPNY(a NYPD contract revolver in .38spl), a Taurus Protector .357magnum snub.

No 12ga shotguns or 5.56mmNATO M4s or MP5s yet, .

ClydeFrog
Old May 2, 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
bamaranger

duty sidearms

Back in the day, the individual parks had a cache of weapons, and you were issued same upon arrival at your current post. In those days, revolvers ruled, typically S&W K-frames. Ammo was the .38 +P+ 110 JHP Treasury load.

First post-Smith Model 15
second-" Model 10
third- " M66
fourth- L-frame, 686 (stainless) and the first issue of 125 mag ammo

Lo and behold, we made the jump to auto pistol. Everybody got a Sig P228 with 147gr JHP ammo initially. A central cache/issue system began at the academy, circa 1995 +/-. As the auto pistol transition progressed, field staff and new staff began to receive the option for a "one time" choice between Sig P220-.45, P226-9mm (and now .40 cal) or P229-.40) A few of the early P228's are still out there, there users preferring not to transition, as well as a smattering of P225 single stack 9mm's for small handed staff. The "one time" issue has been flexible and I've know several rangers who have changed models and caliber mid career. (still Sig as listed above)
Old May 2, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Haz251

Up till about a year ago I carried everyday on the job for roughly 3 years. Once I proved my firearm was reliable and I was more than competent with it they allowed me to carry my personal firearm. A new generation IWI Baby Desert Eagle II. Packed her with 17+1 of Hornady Critical Duty in 135 grain +Ps. Still running strong! These babies are actually known as the Jericho 941 (magnum research decided to throw the words Desert Eagle on there though for marketing and honestly I'm glad they did) and a lot of Israeli armed forces carry it. Once you shoot one its obvious why!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (254.6 KB, 63 views)
Old May 2, 2013, 06:51 AM   #6
2ndsojourn

As the gunner on a mortar team I was issued a Colt 1911. Although I had grown up shooting many other handguns, I got really good with this, qualified as expert, and it's my favorite platform. Besides owning a variety of other types of handguns, I have two of these as my home SD guns. On range trips I always take one of them.

Although I think they're too big for everyday CC, if we were allowed to carry in NJ my Glock 19 would be my first choice for EDC.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
twobit

Began with a S&W 686 around 1986 and went to a Beretta 92 FS around 1990.
Shotgun has always been the Remington 870. Love all three. Still carry the 92FS.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
CSG

We carried Model 10's in my department back in the 70's. Don't know what they're issued now. I would have rather carried the 28 like some of the other agencies did then but I have two now (that really get pulled out of the safe).

The M&P .45 is used by the local agencies where I now live.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:29 AM   #9
chadio

Navy '89 thru '93

1911 - Colt, Ithaca, other various mfr's. Liked it fine - quals and pistol sharpshooter test.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #10
SPEMack618

M-9 Beretta.

Purchased a bunch of Beretta OEM magazines for it, and fired it a whopping total of four times the entire time I was down range.

Liked the gun, a good piece, but hated being limited to 9x19mm Hardball.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

M1911A1 45 ACP with two spare magazines a canvas magazine pouch, 1M1916 holster and a Web Belt. On Shore Patrol it was white otherwise OD green. I still use the same but the pistol is upgraded to a NM and the ammo pouch is leather. I think I liked it or I wouldn't still be wearing and using the same thing 50 years later.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 2, 2013, 02:04 PM   #12
gdvan01

Back in the day my teeth were cut on a S&W model 10. The front sight was a little crooked but once I figured it out I was knocking out 300's on a regular basis.

After that we went to SIG P226's....loved that one.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old May 2, 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

USAF Armed Courier.

I was in from 1970 to 1978,,,
My duty weapon was a S&W Model 15.

To this day the Combat Masterpiece is still my favorite handgun.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 2, 2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Noreaster

LEO
S&W M66 w/38 spl +P (not issued, had to buy our own, great gun)
GP100 w/38 spl +P (issued, great gun)
Ruger P94 (issued, pretty decent gun)
Glock 22 (issued, great gun)
Sig P229 (issued, mixed feelings, but good gun)
Glock 22 Gen 4 (great gun)
Old May 2, 2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 22

Glock 17
Old May 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #16
virg

Duty/Service Pistols: What did you use, how did you like it?

16 years now with a Glock model 22 .40 cal on my side. I love the guns. They are very reliable.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:59 PM   #17
357 Python

Over the course of 30 years I have carried a variety of duty weapons.

6" Colt Python - first duty weapon and loved it. I successfully completed an NRA Security Firearms Instructors course with it.

4" S&W Model 28-2 - A bit on the heavy side but a great gun none the less.

4" S&W 686 - Great duty weapon just the right heft and balanced perfectly. I carried this most of the time as a private security officer.

S&W 59 - My first semiauto pistol. It was a fine choice and I could outshoot my Beretta 92F with it.

Beretta 92F - Chose this beacuse the local county police switched to it and I planned on applying to them. It is a bit large in the grip area but manageable. Scored high scores on the range with it.

4" S&W Model 10-8 - Perfect sized 38 Special. Qualified 300 on state required course and 280 out of 300 on the course required by the Federal Protective Service /GSA Police.

4" S&W 64 - My last duty weapon as an armed security officer. This particular revolver needed repair that the company did not want to have done. It had a bad timing problem, in rapid fire it would fire 5 rounds instead of 6. It had a worn hand according to a local gunsmith. I only had this weapon for a year before I got another job.

4" S&W 64HB - My first duty weapon as a police officer. Great revolver for our work. It fired as it should 6 for 6.

Beretta 92FS - My current duty weapon. It is a good choice but like all of the 92 series pistols is a hair large in the grip area but manageable. I score a consistant 278-285 out of 300 on the range.

With the exception of the one S&W 64 with a worn hand all my duty weapons served me very well. Even though about half my time I was carrying a 6 shot revolver I never felt out gunned. They did their jobs and got me home at the end of my shifts.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:44 PM   #18
michael t

Military 1911 10 years

Corporation Security S&W 36 6years
Old May 2, 2013, 10:51 PM   #19
Corrections Cop

State Corrections Sergeant:

Gen 4 Glock 22 .40 cal, they shoot nice, about the only time I get to use one anymore is yearly requals.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:37 AM   #20
WC145

The first was a 4" S&W M15 .38spl as a USAF SP in the early 80s.
Current is a FNP45 Tactical with a Trijicon RMR02 mini red dot sight.
Things have changed a bit over the last 30 years
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 3, 2013, 03:39 PM   #21
ftttu

Out of the academy, I had a S&W 5906, which was reliable, but seemed to have too much play between the upper and lower receivers. It was also on the heavy side. Our carry policy changed after a while, allowing us to carry Glocks. I went to a G17 and then later to a G19. Loved both of them, but policy changed again, now allowing .40 caliber so I went to a G23. Great gun for my small hands and for concealment. Policy changed again and I got bored so I got an H&H USP .40 w/a stainless upper receiver. HATED the crunchy double action trigger pull so I went to a Beretta Cougar 8040D. Loved that, but got bored so I got a Beretta 96D, which I carried about 10 or more. During that time, the H&K P2000 was introduced so I got one for off-duty, later using on duty for bike patrol. Went back to 96D after that duty until I got bored again so I got my current G23 gen 4. I'm happy now with it after it stopped brass to the face and a few fail to feed early on. Really happy now with the 3.5 lbs trigger springs/connector I recently added. I may get bored again and get a .......
Old May 3, 2013, 06:24 PM   #22
Glenn Dee

Service gun's I've had several. My department didnt issue firearms. We had to buy our own. We could get anything we wanted... as long as it was a blue steel fixed sight .38 spl, 4" barrel... manufactured by Colt or Smith n Wesson. Later on the Rugers came on line and they authorized service six revolvers. A little later they got real jiggie and authorized stainless steel revolvers, and a bit later authorized stainless steel revolvers with 3" barrels.

My first service gun was a S&W model 10 4" blue (nickel was a no-no)
My next addition to my service revolvers was a 3" R/B stainless S&W. They actually made uniform service holsters for it.

The department started to go with autoloaders. We had a choice of a DAO S&W, a DAO Sig, or the Glock 19. I went with the Glock 19. My service revolvers also remained authorized and I was able to switch up when the mood struck me.

Funny thing... When Police women changed titles and became police officers and were put on routine patrol like the males they were authorized 3" barrel, squair butt, model 36's. Yep five shot service revolvers. They even made teeny tiney service holsters for them. As new female officers were hired, and most opted for full sized service revolvers the rules changed, and all females had to get a model 10. colt O/P, or a ruger service six.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:31 PM   #23
KenW.

I've passed on the issue sidearms; HK P-7, BHP, HK USP, Glock 22/23 in favor of personal 1911s and now the XD.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #24
TinyDee

I carried a fine Model 27 which I wish I had not sold to another officer. I loved that revolver and would choose it first over an automatic today. Count that as age...
Old May 3, 2013, 11:07 PM   #25
okiewita40

Back when I was in the military I started out on the 1911A1 and then the M9
I really disliked the Barretta. Since starting with this department 13 yrs ago I have carried a S&W 686, Glock 19 and Glock 17.

My personal ccw id a Glock 19. So that should tell you how I feel about about them.