The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 1, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
jar84203

Rifle ID

Does any one know what rifle this is? I got it from my grandfather who got it from someone who said it was German. Any info would help. Thanks. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=360602
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kdk_0357.jpg (212.6 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by jar84203; June 1, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Probably Japanese, but you are going to have to provide more photo coverage to identify which of two basic models and several variants it is.

From your other thread with more pictures, it is definitely a Japanese Arisaka, probaby Type 99 7.7mm, roughly made late in WW II. I don't know if it quite qualifies as a "last ditch" per Leif, but if not it isn't much better.
Old June 2, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
smoakingun

it's an arisaka all right, but not a 7.7mm but a 6.5mm type 38
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:45 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Smoakin,

No, those late rifles do not have the usual Type marking, but the single gas escape hole clearly marks it as a Type 99. Plus the Type 38 was out of production by the time that rifle was made.

Jim
Old June 3, 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
smoakingun

did they change the bolt and safety and floor plate on last ditch rifles? My 99 looks radically different. The only thing they have in common is the gas escape, but you're right, the 38 doesn't have one.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Type 38 has two gas escape holes.

Those Type 99 rifles were not really the "last ditch"*; in spite of the shortcuts and crudity, they were still made of steel forgings and are accurate and serviceable. Yes, the floorplates, sights, bolts, front band and other areas were different from the early war Type 99. The most noticeable areas of change are the bolt handle, which was made a plain cylinder instead of the "plum" shape of the earlier Type 99 and Type 38 rifles; the floor plate and latch; the single aperture sight instead of the adjustable sight; the safety - missing on that gun; and the stock, which was roughly finished.

* The term is more correctly given to very crude rifles chambered for the 8mm pistol cartridge. Thousands were to be issued to civilians to help fight off the expected invasion. Had it not been for the atomic bomb, I am sure tens of thousands of Japanese and Americans would have died in that fighting and it could have lasted years.

Jim