The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1
willr

Dies for .327 Federal Magnum

Does anyone know what Lee dies will work for .327 Federal Magnum?
Lee says that .32 S&W Long will work for Magnum cartridges. I suppose that means for .32 H&R Magnum, but does that comment also apply to the .327? Will dies for .32 H&R Magnum work (in a similar way to .38 Special dies working for .357 Magnum)? Does it all depend on the sizing die only?

Curiously, looking at the die sets one finds that the same Lee .32 sizing die works for .32 ACP, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum. Should it also work for the .327?

I wrote to Lee a couple weeks ago, and they replied that they had not tested their dies for this cartridge yet.

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

willr
Old June 30, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
amamnn

If you E-mail the techs at Federal, they should be able to help. From what I have read so far about the cartridge I don't think you'll be able to load it using .32 HRM dies.
Old June 30, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Crosshair

You should be able to load 327 just fine with 32 H&R dies. You would just have to adjust the dies. Just like loading 357 magnum with 38 Special dies.
Old July 1, 2008, 08:28 AM   #4
SL1

The only possible problem with using 32 H&R Magnum dies for loading 327 Federeal Magnum cases would be that the sizing die is not deep enough to get the longer 327 case into it far enough to size down to the base without jamming the mouth against some step on the inside of the die.

A call to the manufacturer of the dies you want to use should be able to get you a "yes" or "no" on whether their dies are long enough for the 327 case. (Be sure to have the 327 case length handy when you ask them, in case they don't have it handy at their end.)

SL1