The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
savage1r

Thoughts on 1st and 2nd Amendments...

What if we turned the wording around?

VIDEO

For a long time, gun control advocates have done their best to keep us safe by writing laws and making speeches that would seek to limit or abolish the second amendment. Many of those same people do not understand the implications of their actions, yet if the roles were reversed and politicians were calling for an end to free speech, what would people think of that?
This short video is my illustration of this concept, please give it a look over and leave a comment either in this thread or on my YouTube page.

Reopened - GEM

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; August 3, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
chexmix

I like it but I had to keep pausing it to read the quotes, you didnt give it enough time.
Old August 3, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
savage1r

Yeah, problem with copyrighted songs is that you only get 30 seconds and I was working on a time crunch . will allow for more time on the next one.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
sigcurious

Oddly enough, people often forget just how powerful speech itself is. It can drive people to revolution, to genocide, and to commit acts benevolent and heinous. All by invoking feelings in those that hear it.

IMHO, one skilled orator or writer can benefit or damage society far more than any gun ever could.
Old August 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

Good on you for making that.
I believe the 1st Amendment protects our rights.
And the 2nd Amendment protects the 1st.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1r
Many of those same people do not understand the implications of their actions, yet if the roles were reversed and politicians were calling for an end to free speech, what would people think of that?
Have you heard about the Chik-fil-A controversy? Quite a lot of people, including politicians, would happily limit speech they do not like. The beauty of the First and Second Amendments is that they protect rights for everyone, pro or con, and whether or not an individual wants to exercise those rights or not.
Old August 4, 2012, 03:06 PM   #7
sigcurious

Speaking of Chik-fil-a, what really gets me about that situation, is that chik-fil-a is a privately held company, who's business practices have always been guided by the owners religious beliefs. Then people are surprised the leadership speaks their mind on a social topic with beliefs that are inline with their personal beliefs?

As gc70 points out those rights go both ways, yet people are quick to scold or want to remove those rights when they disagree with what's being said or done.
Old August 4, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
pnac

Quote:
As gc70 points out those rights go both ways, yet people are quick to scold or want to remove those rights when they disagree with what's being said or done.
Popular or "pc" speech doesn't need to be protected, and what was popular yesterday is "hate speech" today.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old August 4, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
savage1r

You have to protect hate speech if you want the right to have any speech. Definitions change, minds change, but you can't force it on people.
Old August 6, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Buzzcook

The problem is that the 1st has been assaulted and many of our rights under it have been curtailed. It;s not a matter of twisting quotes it's a matter of fact.

Who ever heard of a "free speech zone 20 years ago? Who would have thought that government could listen in to client/lawyer conversations without a warrant? Whoever thought that government would be able to access what books we check out from the library? Whoever thought that our ability to speak was restricted by the size of our wallet?

On the other hand the 2nd has now been separated from the militia clause and at least one justice is open to having "any" military small arm available to citizens. That's a huge increase in the power of the 2nd.

Compared to the 1st the 2nd amendment is robust and untarnished. The only bill safer than the 2nd is the 3rd amendment.
Old August 6, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Quite a lot of people, including politicians, would happily limit speech they do not like.
Two things:
  1. What stance Chik-Fil-A might take on an issue unrelated to guns isn't really relevant to this forum.
  2. I've seen no evidence that the government has quashed anybody's rights in that situation. The Bill of Rights is about our relationship to the government, not to each other.

I'm reminded of an old Frank Lloyd Wright quote: "I'm all for taking weapons out of the hands of dangerous people. Let's start with typewriters."
Old August 6, 2012, 03:38 AM   #12
pnac

Quote:
The only bill safer than the 2nd is the 3rd amendment.
Ahh, but without the 2nd, who is to stop them?

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King!"
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old August 6, 2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Eghad

lol at the typewriter quote.

I think the Second Amendment is alive and well. Seven minutes... some $$$ and I was out the door a couple of weeks ago with my CZ 452.

NRA Life Member
Old August 7, 2012, 11:12 AM   #14
BlueTrain

It is said that, given the right questions, people would not be in favor of any of the bill of rights and generally speaking, I'd say that's the way most people act.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 9, 2012, 06:12 PM   #15
MLeake

Tom Servo, several politicians (Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC) have made noises about blocking Chick-Fil-A from opening franchises in their districts due to the Cathy family's statements about their beliefs.

So in this case, the example is on point for the thread.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Tom Servo, several politicians (Chicago, Boston, NYC, DC) have made noises about blocking Chick-Fil-A from opening franchises in their districts due to the Cathy family's statements about their beliefs.
Yeah, gc70 mentioned that to me. At the time, I was unaware of it.

Let them try it. It'll be grounds for an interesting 1A lawsuit.