The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 29, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
holt2010

M1 Garand Did I do good?

Hey guys I recently traded for a H&R M1 garand that looks great. It has all H&R parts. I traded a DPMS AR-15, a marlin 30-30 , a mosin nagant and 100 dollars. Im trying to upload a picture but I dont know how. I love garands and I just had to have it. Do you guys think i did ok?
Old September 29, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2
viciouskitty

That seems kind of steep to me the AR is worth like 500 or 600 the marlin is worth 300 the mosin is worth about 100. Well it depends what condition the garand is in if its like new then they go for like a grand. Post some pics of your newly acquired weapon. I still find myself wanting a garand also just haven't had the money
Old September 29, 2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Slamfire

Considering mix master Garands are going for $600 at the CMP, I think you did well.

If your HRA is all matching and in good shape, it is worth more.

The HRA Garands are fine, late model rifles and they are not making them any more.
Old September 29, 2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Chris_B

won't be all matching. Most parts aren't serialized, they bear drawing numbers. The numbers never 'matched'
Old September 29, 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
WVsig

Chris that is not true. CMP gas sold collector grade HRAs which were not only correct but were certified to be as they left the factory as in 100% original. Yes most do not have that level of providence but that does not mean they are not 100% correct.

Last edited by WVsig; September 29, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 29, 2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Single Six

Not to deviate too far here, but are there any companies still making M1 Garands? Seems like I recall Springfield Armory {the current one} making them recently.
Old September 29, 2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Chris_B

Quote:
Chris that is not true. CMP gas sold collector grade HRAs which were not only correct but were certified to be as they left the factory as in 100% original. Yes most do not have that level of providence but that does not mean they are not 100% correct.
"Provenance"

"Correct" or "original" and "numbers matching" do not go hand in hand here. I did not say that the rifle could not be correct or original. What I said was they won't be numbers matching:

Quote:
won't be all matching. Most parts aren't serialized, they bear drawing numbers. The numbers never 'matched'
Example: the serial number of the rifle will not match the number stamped on the operating rod. The operating rod does not bear an s/n. It bears a drawing number. You have misunderstood what I posted. The drawing numbers wouldn't have matched the serial number of the rifle on the day it was made- it would however be the correct drawing number.

On say a collectible pistol you may find all the s/ns match- my P.38 has the same s/n on the slide, frame and barrel, and the locking block bears the correct partial s/n. The Garand isn't like that. It may have drawing numbers that correspond to the serial number but those numbers will not be the same

You can go mildly insane making sure an M1 is all original

http://www.scott-duff.com/drawing_number.htm
http://m1-garand-rifle.com/m1-garand...ly/vintage.php
http://www.northcapepubs.com/m1gar.htm

Last edited by Chris_B; September 29, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old September 29, 2011, 10:06 PM   #8
WVsig

"Provenance" you gotta love auto correct on an IPhone... Lol

I think I understood you perfectly what you were saying. No "numbers" will not match but the OP might have a correct or collector grade gun. I agree you can go nuts trying to determine if that is true. I personally think people put to much emphasis on it.

Personally I just like shooting them.
Old September 29, 2011, 11:42 PM   #9
zucchi

Only you can answer your question

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about your deal, only what you think. If you got what you want and are happy with it then it was a good deal. I've paid "stupid" money for guns that would make most others cringe. Then again, most of them didn't really care for what I had acquired, but you know what? I cared, and that's all that really matters.

As for M1 Grands, I got one from Big-5 Sporting goods some years back for less than $500.00. There wasn't anything special about it; no matching numbers or rare arsenal cartouches... None of that mattered to me because I just really wanted one to have and take to the range. I looked at it from a utilitarian perspective. Regardless of what markings it has on it, it's still going to perform the same, so, for me, I didn't want to spend more than twice the money for a shooter.

That doesn't mean I don't care for a really good deal. I got an all matching numbers, war souvenir (meaning no importation marks) WWI Luger for only $600.00 at a gun show.
Old September 30, 2011, 01:19 AM   #10
holt2010

guys how do i post a pic
Old September 30, 2011, 07:54 AM   #11
TX Hunter

I think you got taken advantage of. But I hope you enjoy your rifle.
Old September 30, 2011, 08:13 AM   #12
jsmaye

Quote:
I personally think people put too much emphasis on it...Personally I just like shooting them.
+1

Quote:
I think you got taken advantage of.
Not if he was the one making the offer.
Old September 30, 2011, 08:50 AM   #13
B. Lahey

Not a bad trade:

Dpms- $400ish
.30/30- $200ish
91/30-$75
+$100

I think some of you are overvaluing his pile of extremely common used guns.
Old September 30, 2011, 09:00 AM   #14
EEL92fs

To Post a Picture

You use a site like http://photobucket.com and make an account then upload your picture and it will give you a string to copy(use the "IMG" link) from the site and paste on the forum here.

Last edited by EEL92fs; September 30, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old September 30, 2011, 04:13 PM   #15
Chris_B

Quote:
I think I understood you perfectly what you were saying. No "numbers" will not match but the OP might have a correct or collector grade gun. I agree you can go nuts trying to determine if that is true. I personally think people put to much emphasis on it.
Exactly, and I agree.
Old October 1, 2011, 01:53 AM   #16
holt2010

Old October 1, 2011, 07:44 AM   #17
ksstargazer

Sounds like a reasonable trade especially if you are comfortable with it. Lahey, where are those $400 DPMS?
Old October 1, 2011, 07:56 AM   #18
lmccrock

I was going to say "photo fail" but no, those are your socks down there.

I would have passed at that cost, but if he threw in some clips or ammo or something it would be close.

One of my M1's is from CMP, a pristine-looking WW2 era rifle, the drawing numbers match (at least the ones I checked) but the accuracy is worse than the re-import, which has significant rust pitting but a new barrel. I mostly shoot the accurate one.

Lee