The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
ReNtaPiG

Best DA/SA Fired Weapon

Ok so bottom line with no BS...I am certainly more accustomed to DAO trigger systems. BUT I recently had the opportunity to fire a Sig Pro SP2022 with DA/SA trigger system and quite frankly I loved it (the trigger system that is). The initial pull wasn't that bad the subsequent pulls were awesome. Dbl Taps were quick/painless and more accurate then most DAO's I've fired.

LOVED the option to decock with the decock lever..BUT HATE THE SIG...I hate everything about it...Didn't like the feel, the look, the weight...literally the only thing I liked was the trigger system.

So my question to all of you who I'm sure have a vast knowledge of DA/SA firearms is IYHO's(and everyone has one).

What is the best DA/SA firearm????? and DON'T say Sig Pro SP2022 :barf:

Thanks
Old July 2, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Wiskey_33

Sig p229.:d
Old July 2, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
KCabbage

Ahhh...welcome to DA/SA, by far my favorite.

There are tons of options. I cherish my HK USP, HK P2000, and Smith & Wesson 3913 TSW. Some other guns i've had that I enjoyed were the Beretta 92 Type M Compact L(looks exactly like the 92, but downsized), Ruger P89, Smith & Wesson 1066, this list can go on since I liked just about every DA/SA i've had.

Some people don't like the transition from DA to SA, but I don't mind at all. It's a very good system for carry. I don't like safeties on defensive guns and the DA/SA handles that wonderfully.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:03 PM   #4
starbuck

The Beretta 92 has one of the smoothest DA/SA triggers of any auto-loader that I've personally fired.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:06 PM   #5
jman841

+1 for the Beretta, very nice DA/SA system.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:06 PM   #6
greyson97

Beretta PX4

Pros:
Love the PX4.
accurate
17 Rounds, up to 20
Ergonomic
smooth lines(beautiful gun imo)
it has a very crisp SA trigger pull once you remove the slack.
reasonably priced ($519)
decocker safety

the cx4 can use the px4 mags

Cons:
their full sized would be a compact for another gun.
so you have shorter sight radius, and barrel is shorter than another poly gun

I wouldnt say this is the best, but I like it a lot
Old July 2, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Kermit

Best? In a stock pistol, I would go w/ either my Italian 92fs or my USP 45. Both have their flaws but both are more than acceptable and relaible. In something a little more custom, a buddy had his Beretta M9 worked on and the trigger on it is just phenominal(sp?)
Old July 2, 2009, 01:12 PM   #8
PSP

Not exactly a DA/SA, but don't overlook the interesting and very smooth tri-action offered by Daewoo in their 9mm and .40s&w pistols. You can fire by;
* Double action
* Single action,
* or while in SA push the hammer forward, initiating the "tri-action", whereas a light pull of the trigger snaps the hammer back to SA and a further pull fires the pistol.

This is a very neat trigger, by far the smoothest DA I've seen.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:13 PM   #9
Colt1911forever

No single answer. You will get nothing but opinions based on subject data which may or may not relate to you.

You need to shoot any pistols you are considering. Let them tell you which one to choose.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Taurus PT100

Or if you want a 9mm, the PT92.

Basically an old-style Beretta... frame mounted safety allows Condition One carry.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." - Hastings' Third Law

Last edited by Big Ugly Tall Texan; July 2, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:18 PM   #11
rsxr22

The answer to this would be arguably the HK line or Sig's line of da/sa. They are truly a step above the rest in accuracy and on par with glock with reliability
Old July 2, 2009, 01:22 PM   #12
CortJestir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt1911forever
No single answer. You will get nothing but opinions based on subject data which may or may not relate to you.
Well, the OP did say:
Quote:
So my question to all of you who I'm sure have a vast knowledge of DA/SA firearms is IYHO's(and everyone has one).

Anyway, I won't say SIG SP2022, but my opinion (there's the O word again) is that SIG does have the finest DA/SA system with the Beretta right up there as well. Ths SIG especially shines with the short reset option, IMV.

Did you handle other SIG's? The SP2022 is one of SIG's polymers - not something they're really known for. Check out the classic P series of guns - you just may find that flavor of Kool Aid more palatable.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Colt1911forever

HK has one of the worst DA triggers on the planet. They are good guns and go bang everytime but their DA sucks IMHO.

I personally like Sig & CZ.

The OP does not want a Sig so IMHO he has already removed the # 1 from contention.

Last edited by Colt1911forever; July 2, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:41 PM   #14
Dustin0

Loved the trigger on my Sig P239 shouldnt have sold it
Old July 2, 2009, 01:48 PM   #15
pilpens

Of the DA/SA pistols I have fired recently (sig p220, sig p6, beretta 92, walther P99, HK USP, HK USP compact):
1. Best trigger - Sig P220.
2. Worst Trigger - DA and SA - HK

3. Best 5 shot group at 25 yards (seated/rested) - Beretta 92.
4. Best 5 shot group at 25 yards (standing/off hand) - Sig P6, Walther p99
5. Best grip feel - Sig P220, Walther P99 with some adjustment to the stock large backstrap.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Skans

My EAA Stock 10mm has an exceptionally smooth DA/SA trigger, and the first pull is unbelievably easy compared to my S&W 659.
Old July 2, 2009, 01:54 PM   #17
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
That's exactly what I want...opinions...I am pretty adept at drawing my own conclusions based on my likes and dislikes but your right there is no single answer

Quote:
The OP does not want a Sig so IMHO he has already removed the # 1 from contention.
LOL...sorry

Quote:
The Beretta 92 has one of the smoothest DA/SA triggers of any auto-loader that I've personally fired.
Didn't know the 92 was DA/SA but I happen to think it's a hideous looking firearm sorry...Thanks for the info though

Quote:
greyson97
PX4 Storm
smooth lines(beautiful gun imo)
I'm going to have to agree with that...That piece looks SWEET!! especially for a Beretta...I will certainly look into that THANKS!!
Old July 2, 2009, 02:10 PM   #18
rsxr22

I highly disagree that HK has the worst trigger out there. I know it is a person's opinion, but I have 2 Sig's as well as 2 HK's. My p2000sk is my carry gun and has a nice SA pull and the DA is heavier but that doesnt necessarily mean its bad. Jerry Miculeak is one of the best shooters in the world and on his IDPA revolvers, he uses a 10 lb trigger pull in order to make sure he doesnt jump shots. There is nothing wrong with HK's DA. My P30 though, i did have a trigger job done on, im not sure how to explain it but it just didnt feel like the p2ksk's trigger. My only gripe about the HK trigger is that the reset is longer than even on my glock. But if it was really a concern i could get it shortened for $50 so its not that bad. I do agree Sig has the best out of the box trigger pull, but in no way is HK the worst
Old July 2, 2009, 02:13 PM   #19
ReNtaPiG

greyson97,

Did I thank you yet???...modular grip just like my M&P...reversible mag release just like my M&P...no ambi slide release like my M&P has but good thing i'm RH the PX4 seems to have all the luxuries I bought the M&P for!!

not a big fan of the manual safety (type F) the type G is more my style...I'll give her a whirl if I can find one to rent. But I don't know of any Beretta dealers locally, I'll have to do an internet search.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:17 PM   #20
greyson97

you are most welcome. i also forgot to mention, but because of the rotating bolt, 9mm recoil is almost non existent. it just jumps in your hand a little bit. and yes, they have all sorts of types to fit your needs. but i will say like everyone else, you should test fire it before buying
Old July 2, 2009, 02:49 PM   #21
PSP

Quote:
I highly disagree that HK has the worst trigger out there.
The worst have to be some of the Iron Curtain Commie guns. You need to eat a can of spinach before shooting some of those things DA.

HK makes so many different triggers and variants that it is staggering, but the Match trigger, they have as standard on some of the line, is magnificent. It may rank as one of the best standard production triggers around. Too bad they put it on so few guns.

I agree with rsxr22, in that the normal HK DA/SA is very suitable for it's purpose and ranks high. It's value is in it's safety and reliability, but does not adversely affect shooting accurately IMO.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:59 PM   #22
txstang84

Quote:
The worst have to be some of the Iron Curtain Commie guns. You need to eat a can of spinach before shooting some of those things DA.
...good one-but Wolff thankfully makes springs for many of them.

As for the desired opinion, I'd give a thumbs up to a Beretta 92/96, or Taurus 92/99/100/101...I like mine-smooth DA, crisp SA with quick reset. The pistol feels very well balanced, smooth recoil, quick follow up...I like those style pistols.

I can't wait to get my S&W 39-2, and 439 out to the line as well-as soon as I do, I'll have a full range and operational report on all my new acquisitions.
Old July 2, 2009, 03:02 PM   #23
comn-cents

sig & hk are a toss up for me.
Old July 2, 2009, 03:13 PM   #24
David the Gnome

Sig is my personal choice but since you have ruled out Sigs I would probably go with the HK P30.

Copyright BanditSRT8:
Old July 2, 2009, 03:17 PM   #25
ReNtaPiG

Quote:
you should test fire it before buying
Easier said then done...just called my 3 local ranges and none have the PX4 to rent just the 92FS to rent or buy. One told me he had one to buy but sold it and has another on order but it's not very popular and offered me an M&P instead LOL

I watched a couple of vids on youtube and can see ALOT of trigger travel...so who knows...I guess that's why some call this the "research phase"

Tags
da/sa