The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 3, 2011, 09:53 AM   #26
madcratebuilder

On my 2nd Gen Walker I filed more of a V shape on the tap at the end of the spring that holds the loading lever up. This was a big improvement but I would still have an occasional lever drop with heavy loads. A sort leather piece works for those heavy 60gr shots.
Old October 4, 2011, 11:11 PM   #27
pvt.Long

Bit of history, Mr walker carried a patterson and was fighting indians. He got together with MR cot and designed a 6 shot long barrel 44 magnum revolver, not to put down horses. It could easily be done with a 36. It was bult to hold such a hot load so he could engage the enemy at longer range ankd knock them down. The reason it has a longer barrel and so much weight, is that it may be used as a tomahawk equivilent. The dragoos have a v notch for conicals. The round balls we oversized to help eliminate chain fire, ayone ever had it done its not fun. They were known to have cook offs anyway.
Conical balls in revolvers are inserted at an abngle so they truely arnt as accurate as standerd round balls. Ill settle for an original walker rather then a dragoon. The max load a dragoon is designed to handle is 60 grn. I have safely shot 60 grians behind a ball sucessfully. The leaver is a flaw that even happened with the original design with walkers, so the flaw was put into the repro.
I am a civil war reenactor, somtimes ill carry my 1860, sherif,remington or walker onto the line, depending on the era that im portrating, I only carry one at a time though.