The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2018, 07:58 PM   #1
germanator2

Just discovered the Maxim 9 Handgun

https://silencerco.com/maxim/
Was watching one of my shows last night and they featured this gun by one of the characters. I thought it was just a supped up pistol to make it look cooler, but it's a real gun, which I thought was cool. If anyone is familiar with it, anyone know the year it came out??
Old July 29, 2018, 04:40 AM   #2
armoredman

I think they debuted last year at SHOT, so pretty new.
Old July 29, 2018, 06:22 AM   #3
PushPuller

That is one of the ugliest designs iv seen yet! But is probably the predecessor to many more designs where the silencer is integrated into the gun itself.
Old July 29, 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
jonb32248

What in the world is that thing? I agree the ugliest gun ever!
Old July 29, 2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Kemikos

Just to point out, the top gun in that picture is one of the early prototypes (you can tell that it started out as an M&P).

The bottom one is the production model. It's kind of a neat design, in concept. The vertical seams in the front show where you can add or remove modular sections of baffles, to adjust the sound level.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...cerco-maxim-9/

If you can own one without your eyes bleeding from the aesthetics, that is.
Old July 29, 2018, 06:09 PM   #6
Leejack

Oh geez...
Old July 29, 2018, 08:21 PM   #7
jonnyc

Looks like a Glock 17 and a Hudson H9 had a gun-baby. And an ugly baby at that!
Old July 29, 2018, 10:09 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Ugh!!!! Looks like a M&P with an ugly growth!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2018, 10:34 PM   #9
K_Mac

Cheapshooter I am not a medical professional, but I am pretty sure that is a goiter. While a large goiter can be surgically removed in humans, I think this is example is too far gone for effective treatment.
Old July 30, 2018, 01:33 AM   #10
MGRacer

Very non traditional, and very functional. It is an integrally suppressed 9mm handgun -- 17 round magazine, hearing safe w/o "ears" and mine is very accurate and reliable. It does come with a stout trigger (mine is 6 1/2 lb.) It reminds me of Judge Dredd's Lawgiver.
Old July 30, 2018, 09:13 AM   #11
jr24

It's kinda neat, if impractical. Local range has a couple.
Both bigger and lighter than it looks.

I believe I would prefer a Glock 17 (or similar) and a suppressor for anything other than a "fun" range gun.
Old July 30, 2018, 10:15 AM   #12
GamestopDorito

I fired one as a rental. Great shooting, very quiet, almost no felt recoil, when it fired. Had a failure to fire about eight rounds in and I quit shooting after three magazines (after another failure to fire) because the heat from the integral suppressor was unpleasantly hot in the trigger area.

They warned me about duds when they rented it to me. Maybe it was just a lemon. Give it a try, but bring oven mitts if you're going to put more than a couple mags through it. It was fun to shoot while when it worked.
Old July 30, 2018, 02:33 PM   #13
willr

What is all the stuff in front of the trigger guard for??? I agree it is ugly. But ugly might be ok if there is some purpose.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:09 PM   #14
MGRacer

Quote:
What is all the stuff in front of the trigger guard for??? I agree it is ugly. But ugly might be ok if there is some purpose.
That is the suppressor expansion chamber and baffles. With this gun the suppressor does not come loose while shooting as some of my screw-on cans do. Also the suppressor/gun can be shortened by removing the front two baffles -- something that makes it a few db louder, but still hearing safe with 147gr subsonic loads. I see no need to make it shorter -- it is already quite a bit shorter than other 9mm guns with a suppressor attached.

Last edited by MGRacer; July 30, 2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old July 30, 2018, 03:36 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Announced last year at SHOT.
Finally made it out into the free world (not just dealer's hands) late last year, due to the wait times for processing NFA transfers.

As mentioned by others, the 'digital texture' version is the production model. The M&P-based one was an early prototype.
Very short and compact for a suppressed pistol. Can be used in 'short' or 'standard' lengths, as MGRacer mentioned.
Owners seem very happy with them. (I was ready to buy, but put the money toward some rifle suppressors, instead.)

That texture isn't just random lines, either. It's Morse code. (That's a little poke, to get you to look it up and learn more.)
Old July 30, 2018, 05:26 PM   #16
DaleA

MGRacer thanks for the line-up picture. For me it gives me a perspective I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And that is an impressive line-up of suppressed pistols!
Old July 30, 2018, 06:43 PM   #17
MGRacer

The line-up is impressive and they are not mine .... Just saw this comparison picture and thought it would give perspective. My collection is much smaller!
Old July 31, 2018, 04:42 AM   #18
1stmar

That show wouldnt be “shooter” by any chance. When thought it was a hudson 9 as well initially.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:37 PM   #19
Bart Noir

Another club member has one and I was less than excited by the trigger pull. He is hoping it will smooth out.

But he says it gets so hot after a couple of magazines fired at a quickish rate, that he can't see the front sight because of heat shimmies coming off the barrel/suppressor. I had never even thought that might be a problem. Do other cans also have that problem?

Bart Noir
Old July 31, 2018, 06:51 PM   #20
Archie

One could half a cow to make a holster.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 31, 2018, 09:41 PM   #21
MGRacer

Quote:
it gets so hot after a couple of magazines fired at a quickish rate, that he can't see the front sight because of heat shimmies coming off the barrel/suppressor. I had never even thought that might be a problem. Do other cans also have that problem?
All suppressors get hot and once hot they are a bit troublesome for sight alignment due to heat waves. I have insulated covers for my rifle cans that go on semi-auto's. The AR can really heat up its can. I painted the front sight on my Maxim 9 fluorescent orange and it helps -- a little.
Old August 1, 2018, 02:24 PM   #22
Bart Noir

Quote:
The AR can really heat up its can.
A gun show on the cable used to have a lead-in short video of an AR with the suppressor so hot that interior structure was glowing red through the can. And, I think, some small flames coming out of the end.

That would cause some heat shimmies for sure.

Bart Noir
Old August 3, 2018, 09:12 AM   #23
DMK

Quote:
I believe I would prefer a Glock 17 (or similar) and a suppressor for anything other than a "fun" range gun.
I'm buying one of these to shoot on my back yard range. Just waiting for a bonus check next month.

My understanding is that even though the front looks large, it's mostly empty space in the 'can'. The guts of the gun are to the rear, so it's better balanced than a traditional gun with a can out on the end of a threaded barrel. It's not much, if at all heavier than a steel frame full size 1911.

Cool things about it are it has a fixed barrel, takes Glock 17 mags, Glock sights and a fixed MOS mount for a red dot so the red dot won't slam back and forth as it would on a traditional semi-auto. It also has a keymod rail on the bottom for a light or laser if you want to make it even more ugly.

It's hearing safe for any 9mm including 115gr +P in it's long configuration. You can remove two baffles to make it slightly shorter and lighter, and it will still be hearing safe with 147gr. In the short config with 147gr HSTs, it would make a great night stand gun.

The trigger is heavy and mushy, but there's already a spring kit out for it. Hopefully someone like Apex will step up and do a complete trigger for it.

This is definitely a function over form gun and won't win any beauty contests, but everything I've seen about it says Silencerco did a great job and they do have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by DMK; August 3, 2018 at 09:18 AM.

Tags
maxim 9 , silencer , suppressor