The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 28, 2010, 01:36 PM   #51
MLeake

Around these parts...

... crystal meth seems to be the drug of choice. One county over, it's a major epidemic, and that county is mostly rural.

Also note there was a thread last week involving a forum member's neighbor, in the outskirts of Bangor, ME who foiled an attempted robbery set up by a "damsel in distress." Way, way out in the sticks, where such things just about never happen.... except when they do.
Old December 28, 2010, 01:47 PM   #52
XD Gunner

Quote:
Well we should have a rule then, if the pizza doesnt smell hot and yummy, just start blasting
Pizza place is literally 1/2 mile from my place. If it ain't hot, he's gettin' shot!

This same kind of scenario happened to a coworker of mine less than two weeks ago. The would be robber was stopped by an XDm 9mm and a determined defender.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old December 28, 2010, 02:09 PM   #53
Wildalaska

Quote:
I hope you never get to look into the eyes of a crack or heroin addict who is jonesing for a fix. Soulless eyes. If the pizza guy had no cash then the pizza could get him his rock. They are very resourcefull and desperate. They are usually smart enough to not be armed but it only takes one time. It may not happen in the wilds of Alaska but it is very real in the every day lives of the inner city dwellers.

When an addict needs their fix they become focused on that one and only thing... getting their fix. Nothing else matters to them at that time. Nothing. The later it gets, the more desperate they get and the risks they take are greater. If you don't believe me then just go to a drug rehab center and watch addicts as they dry out. It will make your hair curl.
Dude no offense but I grew up in and around and lived in NYC, Buffalo NY and Toronto and have forgotten more about junkies that most folks here will ever know if they live to be 110.

Plus I've defended them in Court. I have had junkie girlfriends. I've worked in jails and drug rehab centers. Your description of enraged berserk addicts ready to home invade for the fix and be smart enough to buy a piping hot pizza first is the minor exception, rather than the rule.

Lets not get tabloid OK. Souless eyes indeed

WildirememberchinawhiteAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 28, 2010, 02:48 PM   #54
Edward429451

I suppose if I lived in Chicago, or the east coast that I may learn to view [I]everyone[I] in condition orange also. Here in Colorado we still hve some semblance of a life as human beings.

Sure everyone is armed, and everyone is suspect on some level. Don't let that stop you from living life, or (gasp) helping someone out.

If you pay attention to people and thier body language, they will tell you exactly who they are. Then you will be able to tell the difference between the soulless eyes of the punk, and the innocent impetiousness of youth.
Old December 28, 2010, 02:53 PM   #55
Duxman

Check your local laws on this:

But I have answered many delivery calls while Open Carrying.

All the delivery people were very courteous (not to say that they would have been less courteous when I was not OC'ing).

I would think draw time would be much faster without a cover garment. And when the BG sees that you are armed - they have a tendency to make a quick exit and never to return.

Of course this works when Move On pollsters come knocking at your door and you answer it heavily armed.
Old December 28, 2010, 03:10 PM   #56
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
But I have answered many delivery calls while Open Carrying.
I answer all deliveries open carrying. If I even answer the door, it is open carrying. I've had very few comments.

I had one where a woman said, "Sir, do you really feel the need for that gun?" I rolled my eyes and said "GET TO THE POINT!" Then I changed my mind and said, "As a matter of fact I really don't care what you want at this point, LEAVE!" And I closed the door. Found out she was looking to slam anybody for gas distribution. Had I known that, I would have been far nastier.

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; December 28, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 28, 2010, 04:33 PM   #57
Wildalaska

Wow to be honest if I was a delivery driver and someone answered the door with a gun exposed I'd be out of there like a shot

WildseeingagunmakesmyhinkymetergoupAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 28, 2010, 05:00 PM   #58
woodguru

In An Apartment...

...it isn't just about you and what threats you have in your life, it's about neighbors who could have any background.

An old girlfriend was in charge of the San Jacquin women's shelters, they have safehouses, halfway houses, and provide secure new digs for women who have guys in their lives who will kill them, not may kill, will kill.

The guy who is ringing other buzzers besides the one he is supposedly there for to gain access to the entry door has a much higher liklihood of being up to no good. A neighbor making it hard to get in to someone else's door is a good thing.

That said you personally never know what or who you are getting in the middle of in an apartment. I'd have a problem with the fact that the pizza guy wasn't ringing his customer's door, if they won't answer there's no point in his even being there.

I've had many situations where someone is standing at a security door and wants to walk in with me when I open it. I politely tell them that if they are supposed to be there they won't have any trouble getting let in from the person they are seeing. A couple have gotten pushy and it escalated to them having a change of attitude and leaving at the time I told them I was calling the police. That tells me the person wants to get in unannounced but is afraid of telling the police who they are visiting? They are up to no good.

Security doors can be a great thing if everyone does their part to allow only those they want to visit to come in. Women trying to leave a guy and make a break from them can have a difficult time with certain types of guys, and it ain't no joke.

I'd have found that to be a weird situation.
Old December 28, 2010, 09:00 PM   #59
riggins_83

Quote:
I answer all deliveries open carrying. If I even answer the door, it is open carrying. I've had very few comments.
So you're letting any complete stranger who answers the door know you have at least one firearm in the home. Why give yourself that kind of exposure? If a thief saw that they'd probably think "better break in when nobody is home" not "ohhh they are armed better not break in."
Old December 29, 2010, 05:45 PM   #60
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
So you're letting any complete stranger who answers the door know you have at least one firearm in the home. Why give yourself that kind of exposure? If a thief saw that they'd probably think "better break in when nobody is home" not "ohhh they are armed better not break in."
Uh huh, riiight. First, I never let complete strangers answer my door as they are never generally in my house with very few exceptions. As far as complete strangers finding out I carry a firearm around the house all the time? Well, since me and a few other neighbors started OCing, crime has virtually stopped on the block, go figure. Neighborhood watches work, if you work at them.
Old December 29, 2010, 07:25 PM   #61
PH/CIB

Pizza Guy

Rule number one, never ever answer the door, unless the smoke alarm or burglar alarm inside your house is going off and it is the Firefighters or Police outside on your doorstep, or you can identify the person as friend or family without opening the door, all others take a hike.

Rule number two, never answer the phone, unless you have identified the caller by caller ID and actually want to talk to them, or have listened to their message on the answering machine.

Rule number three, delete and never answer or open any emails that you cannot identify.

And the most important rule of all, never be without your firearm and knife.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old December 29, 2010, 07:33 PM   #62
Old Woodsmen

Look, all that Cris B is saying is just keep your guard up. I live in a low population rural area with a town of about 1,500 pop. four miles away, for as small as it is the amount of druggies that live there seems unnaturally high. But when I have talked to people from other towns they pretty much see the same thing. Now most of my neighbors are aware of the same druggy vehicles that go back and forth on the county road in front of our homes, those people so far have never come up our driveways, though in their minds they have probably catalogued when we're home and when we're not. Usually these guys are not the problem, over the years it's been unknown vehicles were they come up driveways asking for gas or gas money or to sell some thing for fuel or food. A few months ago a car pulled half way up my neighbors driveway and told my neighbor there had been someone killed down past our place. It was probably good that she has a large nasty sounding dog and that her son came out to talk to them. On the other hand the people in that car could have been casing out my neighbors home. So far I've not heard or read of anyone being shot, though there are some mining claims on the creek where people live that that could have happened. Truth is we are living in some really bad economic times with unemployement far more than is reported, if you don't think that there are opportunists that want to take advantage of you or your neighbor in any way possible then you may get blindsided when you lest expect it. Always be aware!

Last edited by Old Woodsmen; December 29, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:24 PM   #63
Old Woodsmen

Wildalaska why would you want to leave the safety of the areas you lived in the N.E. for the high cost of living in the Anchorage area?
Old December 29, 2010, 10:56 PM   #64
Onward Allusion

Good rules to live by.

Quote:
PH/CIB

Pizza Guy
Rule number one, never ever answer the door, unless the smoke alarm or burglar alarm inside your house is going off and it is the Firefighters or Police outside on your doorstep, or you can identify the person as friend or family without opening the door, all others take a hike.

Rule number two, never answer the phone, unless you have identified the caller by caller ID and actually want to talk to them, or have listened to their message on the answering machine.

Rule number three, delete and never answer or open any emails that you cannot identify.

And the most important rule of all, never be without your firearm and knife.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:36 PM   #65
riggins_83

Quote:
Uh huh, riiight. First, I never let complete strangers answer my door as they are never generally in my house with very few exceptions. As far as complete strangers finding out I carry a firearm around the house all the time? Well, since me and a few other neighbors started OCing, crime has virtually stopped on the block, go figure. Neighborhood watches work, if you work at them.
I miss worded sorry. I mean you're letting people who you open the door for know you have firearm(s) in the house. I've quit answering the door at home unless it's a friend, UPS or Fedex. Nobody else can have anything I'm interested in. Long as you don't scare the girl scouts away.. those are good cookies!!

/peace
Old December 30, 2010, 02:25 AM   #66
Wildalaska

Quote:
Wildalaska why would you want to leave the safety of the areas you lived in the N.E. for the high cost of living in the Anchorage area?
Taxes?

WildnoneAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 30, 2010, 04:28 PM   #67
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
you're letting people who you open the door for know you have firearm(s) in the house. I've quit answering the door at home unless it's a friend, UPS or Fedex. Nobody else can have anything I'm interested in. Long as you don't scare the girl scouts away.. those are good cookies!!
Not necessarily. If you carry the only firearm you own, it is never really left in the house but rather on you at all times. Many I know own only one firearm and that's their HD and carry weapon. And I'm the same way, not generally answering the door at all, until I've found out who's there. Lucky for me there are windows on either side of the porch on both my houses. If I don't know them, I don't answer, especially at night. In the summertime, though, that's a bit tougher to do with the inner door open (Which my wife insists on) and people yammering through the screen at you. It's usually met with a "I'm not interested!" Girl Scouts in our area don't go door to door. They usually sit in parking lots and create a drive-thru of sorts. And my yearly cookie bill runs around 40 bucks.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:31 PM   #68
langenc

from post #6

I never answer the door without a .357 magnum snub-nosed revolver in a pocket with my hand on it. Simplifies things.

To original poster et al:
I am surprised you didnt have your 'friend' along.. esp when all you saw at the door was one delivery dude w/ hands full. If not taking the 'friend' dont even go to the door.
Old January 3, 2011, 04:50 PM   #69
markj

Wish I could get a pizza delivered to me....... where I live I have to drive into town and go to dennys for the best pizza around.

I wonder what was in the bag?
Old January 21, 2011, 07:58 AM   #70
N.H. Yankee

About the time he wanted to come in, I would have let my 105 pound dog with no sense of humor take care of both him and the pizza.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:44 AM   #71
ET.

When a gun is pulled in a situation it creates a new dynamic. Either it will cause the opponent to stand down or attack. I know that I have created an either/or situation. Most times it is resolved with no one getting shot, but the only other option is some one goes out on a stretcher. I'm not judging what the OP says he would have done if he had his gun. I wasn't there. I just know that I will pull my gun knowing that I have changed the situation & I am prepared to blow the guy in front of me away.

Knowing exactly when (or if) to pull your gun is a crap shoot. Pull it too early and you just fricked up. Pull it too late and you just fricked up. Pull it when you shouldn't have pulled it at all & you just fricked up. Carrying a gun carries a ton of responsibility with it. I don't take that lightly.
Old January 21, 2011, 11:14 AM   #72
psyfly

Chiming in again after an absence.

From a few posts ago concerning my "Busted...what for?" and associated answers.

1. I was talking about the person who posted doing such a thing not that I would necessarily do so.
2. Even so, I live in Texas. If I'm in my doorway in my own home, I'm not breaking any laws by "pulling" a gun on someone standing at my door. Or, at least, not any laws that are not covered by "it is a defense against prosecution..." sections of other laws.

I live in a rural community that has a very low crime rate (aside from Meth related manufacturing and distribution crimes which, here at least, tend to be non-violent).

Despite that, over the past 23 years I have had three friends and one acquaintance murdered in their own quiet, peaceful homes (well, one in her own front yard).

I think this has been discussed in a thread on paranoia, but I'm not sure.

It's not a good idea to go around all twitchy and ready to hurt someone, but it is a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and prepared to defend the lives you love.

Best,

Will
Old January 21, 2011, 01:43 PM   #73
mrgoodwrench76

Now me, as the door is getting kicked in, I am running into the back room and cowering behind the couch or bed (with a gun and phone) calling 911 and shouting at the invader that I am armed and he better leave. I would only shoot if I had no other choice. I wasnt appointed God or a Judge and Jury of One, so its not my place to take life over my Sony, my own psychological inadequacies or some need to be the Avenger of Society.

Really? You'd hide in the corner armed and allow someone to rob your home? Maybe my mindset is too agressive, I'll admit, but there is no way I would allow someone to rob me of my posessions while I hid in a corner of my home with my firearm. Make no mistake, I have no desire to use my sidearm in self defense. That being said, I also could not allow someone to run off with all of the things I have worked very hard all my life to get while I cower in a corner. The line has to be drawn somewhere. In my mind, the line is my front door. Cross that, and all bets are off. And to the OP, I apreciate you sharing your experience. Until now, I never thought of the pizza man as a possible threat.
Old January 21, 2011, 03:29 PM   #74
taylor351

Quote:
I also could not allow someone to run off with all of the things I have worked very hard all my life to get while I cower in a corner.
I understand what you are getting at, but they are just things. I have insurance for things. I would have a hard time shooting someone over personal items. Threatening my wife or kids I will put a stop to your actions. With increasing force until threat is nuetralized.

Threatening my TV.....you can have it.

Keith
Old January 21, 2011, 03:40 PM   #75
aarondhgraham

A friend of mine once asked me,,,

"Would you really shoot and kill a person for trying to steal your stereo?"

I replied something like,,,
"The stereo has nothing to do with it,,,
I'll shoot him for invading my home."

The only thing I know for certain about someone in my home,,,
Is that they have no legitimate reason for being there,,,
I will not make the assumption they only want loot.

If you don't want to or can't do it, then don't.

(speaking very softly now) It's that simple.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)