The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
xdgap

very new-lots of questions

I'm just starting out reloading. I've done quite a bit of shooting though, and have the "ABC's of Reloading" that I'm reading for the second time. My only purpose is to reload my own ammo, I'm not a competition shooter or a big hunter so it's mainly just for "plain" target shooting at the local outdoor range. I'm not too worried about brass because I can get just about all I'll ever want. The guns I have and want to start reloading are:
M1 Garand, Nov 1943 issue original parts.
AR10B collector/target barrel, .308
CZ 527 carbine, 7.62x9mm
XD: .45GAP, 40S&W, 9mm
What I don't have is the re-loading equipment. The maximum I'll be loading is about 300 rnds. I have a number of Brown/Sharpe machinist tools but need a scale. After reading the beginning reloading post I thought I'd ask here. I'm not sure whether a turret press or single stage press and I'm definitely confused on the powder brands. (I know my M1 can't handle the modern powder for the 30-06). I'm finding out the array and types of reloading equipment is HUGE and some people I talked with say start small and work your way up. If I do that I figure I'll have an extra boat anchor. Any advice would be appreciated. (forgot to mention, I'm retired so I don't need a "production sytem").
Old February 20, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
dvndog

I would advise a single stage press for you to gain the knowledge of the basics, also pick yourself up a reloading manual, Like lymans edition. You can pick up alot of info online for oddball loads and powder min loads and max loads. On the older guns I would advise going with the min loads. After you get the hang of reloading then move to the progressive. And always pay attention to whats been charged and what hasn't
Old February 20, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Darren007

Also if possible pick up Sierras 5th edition load manual. They have an entire chapter on reloading for gas powered service rifles like the M1 Garand. The Hornady 7th edition manual also has seperate load data for the 30-06 if the cartridge is to be used in a service rifle. Its not that the rifle cant handle modern powders, theyre just loaded slightly diffrent in regards to powder charge.
Old February 20, 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
chris in va

A very nice gentleman pointed this out to me. When I get the money, it'll be my next purchase.

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/m...oading+Presses
Old February 20, 2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Sevens

A single stage press would be terrific for you. A turret press is a very sensible way to get a little more production in the same amount of time without a lot of extra cash outlay. Both turret and single stage are much easier to digest for a beginner and much cheaper to get rolling than a full-blown progressive setup. While everyone has their brand preferences, each brand of press does the same basic thing--it gives you leverage and lets the dies do the work they need to do. The difference between a single stage press and a turret press is that you can thread 3 or more dies in to a turret press and spin them around to use whichever you'd like over your ram. With single stage, it's just one die and you'll need to spin it out and spin in another to do a different operation.

As for powders, you choose your powder based on your caliber. For sure, you won't be using the same powder in your .30-06 and .308 loads that you need for 9mm, .40S&W and .45 GAP. (while I'm thinking of it, you may have access to all the brass you need, but I don't know many folks who have a huge extra supply of .45 GAP brass, so you ought to hold on to those!)

You said that your '43 Garand won't handle modern powder for the '06. What made you come to that conclusion? You will be able to build the best ammo your Garand has ever eaten and you can do it with the same powder everyone here is using and you can buy the stuff at Cabela's or your local gun store or wherever you can purchase modern powder. There are tens of thousands of guys shooting vintage Garands (and much, much older rifles!) with modern factory ammo and good handloads put together with modern powder and components.

While the whole thing may seem now like an endless array of tools and gizmos and choices, there's plenty of folks here who love to help. At the most basic level, this is simple stuff--four parts: Brass, primer, powder, bullets. You don't buy any powder, primer or bullets until you've found some solid recipes you wish to try. Then you purchase your components (bullets, powder, primers) based on the ingredients of the recipe. The recipes are called "load data" and every powder maker and bullet maker lists a number of them.

If this doesn't help a bit, be more specific with your questions and we'll go from there. You'll soon realize that a little patience and a little focus (and a bench with some good tools!) is all you need to produce fine ammo.