The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
BoilerUP

Lee Loader Qs - 22-250 & 243

Hello all - another newbie here with some questions. I have done multiple searches, as well as read the "newbie equipment list" threads.

I have a Ruger #1-V in 22-250 and a Remington 700BDL in .243 Win that I thoroughly enjoy shooting, now that I'm back in the midwest with access to land after a stint in the DC Metro area. For now I'll be shooting pretty low-volume, maybe 20 rounds of .243 and no more than 40 rounds of 22-250 every 4-6 weeks. I also shoot 9mm and .40SW, but that is a secondary concern at this point.

I know I'd be better served long-term going with something like the Lee 4-Hole Turret Press to meet all my needs, but considering the lack of space I currently have living in an apartment (hopefully will be buying a house in 4-6 months) I'm interested in what you experienced folks think about Lee Classic Loaders. I've read many online articles about them, as well as watched YouTube videos and read the Beartooth Bullets Tech Notes on the Classic Loaders. I've considered a Lee Hand Press, and also a single-stage mounted on a small, portable bench or sawhorse for apartment use, but I keep coming back to the Lee Loaders for sheer simplicity and storage considerations.

I'm not looking to win any shooting matches, only to make serviceable plinking and varmint/deer ammunition that is at least as accurate as bulk Winchester/Remington factory rounds in the immediate future.

Is this reasonable approach, given my current situation? What would I need in addition to the Lee Loaders and components to produce quality ammunition (case cutter, primer pocket cleaner, case lube, reloading manuals, etc)? I'm definitely interested in those who previously or currently use Lee Classic Loaders for rifle ammunition.

I thank everyone for their insight and advice....
Old February 20, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
rwilson452

If you have room to mount a single stage press it would be the way to go. Frankly I would consider the hand press before the Lee loader I'm sure you will tire of it rather quickly. As to the turret press it would be a great press of you to make low to moderate batches of ammo. BTW the turret doesn't take much more room that a single stage. mounting on a piece of 2X10 lumber works. If you want to now how to do that, hit me with a PM and I will work with you on that. But the first thing you should do is read the sticky at the top of this forum. you should also get a book or two or three. Some books I have in mind are the Lyman 48th edition, Lee's "Modern Reloading" and the ABC's of reloading. the ABC'S doesn't have the data tables but it explains the process rather well. If your budget is tight you should consider Lee equipment. Lee's anniversary kit contains nearly every thing you need. If you decide on Lee equipment, it would move the Lee book to the top of the list. you will still need a set of calipers and you should really consider a tumbler. and of course dies. even with the Lee loader your still going to need scales and equipment to trim your cases. You got to have scales for safety sake. As you can imagine putting too much power in a case could cause you great injury not to mention it wouldn't be good for your rifle either. Loading blocks I forgot loading blocks.

Regardless read first get equipment later. If you wish to get your equipment on line I would suggest you contact Sue at:

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/
Phone: (219) 872-7957

She has helped many beginners get started and she won't sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. They want you back when you decide to step up.

A word of warning

Reloading is a very addictive hobby. There is no know cure for this addiction.

regardless of what equipment you get you can make ammunition superior in accuracy to store bought stuff as you can customize your ammo to your particular firearm.

Quote:
have a Ruger #1-V in 22-250 and a Remington 700BDL in .243 Win that I thoroughly enjoy shooting, now that I'm back in the midwest with access to land after a stint in the DC Metro area. For now I'll be shooting pretty low-volume, maybe 20 rounds of .243 and no more than 40 rounds of 22-250 every 4-6 weeks. I also shoot 9mm and .40SW, but that is a secondary concern at this point.

I know I'd be better served long-term going with something like the Lee 4-Hole Turret Press to meet all my needs, but considering the lack of space I currently have living in an apartment (hopefully will be buying a house in 4-6 months) I'm interested in what you experienced folks think about Lee Classic Loaders. I've read many online articles about them, as well as watched YouTube videos and read the Beartooth Bullets Tech Notes on the Classic Loaders. I've considered a Lee Hand Press, and also a single-stage mounted on a small, portable bench or sawhorse for apartment use, but I keep coming back to the Lee Loaders for sheer simplicity and storage considerations.

I'm not looking to win any shooting matches, only to make serviceable plinking and varmint/deer ammunition that is at least as accurate as bulk Winchester/Remington factory rounds in the immediate future.

Is this reasonable approach, given my current situation? What would I need in addition to the Lee Loaders and components to produce quality ammunition (case cutter, primer pocket cleaner, case lube, reloading manuals, etc)? I'm definitely interested in those who previously or currently use Lee Classic Loaders for rifle ammunition.

I thank everyone for their insight and advice....
Old February 21, 2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Scorch

I would recommend a Lee Pro1000 over a Lee Loader. Cheap, small foot print, mount it to a table with C-clamps, and you're in business turning out 250-300 rounds/hour. I used one of the Lee Loaders back in the 1970s, and I remember it taking FOREVER to load ammo. Prompted me to buy a RCBS Jr press, and I thought that was a major step up. For the cost of the 3 Lee loaders you are talking about, you can have a real loader.
Old February 21, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4
BoilerUP

Anybody actually use the Lee Classic Loader for rifle cartridges before? I'm very curious as to the opinions/observations of those that have...
Old February 21, 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Sevens

Considering the cost and small footprint of even an entry-level press, I can't see why anyone would want to put themselves through the monotonous experience of the Lee Loader. When I left home at 18, went to college and moved out of state and in to a place with 6 roomates, I continued to reload on a Lee Challenger "O" frame press mounted to a 2x10 length of wood. It wasn't my home reloading bench, but it worked well considering the incredibly limited space.

I'm as frugal as guy as you'll likely meet. I will spend my hard-earned money, but I require real value for it. Even today I don't need high-speed production and I do a fine job with my full bench and single stage Lee Classic Cast. But I simply could not recommend anyone take on a Lee Loader as a way to begin in this incredible hobby. IMO, it's akin to teaching adult literacy to someone with stone tablets, a hammer and a chisel.

Buy a press and use the leverage that modern physics gives to you.

And remember-- now matter what the future holds in the hobby of reloading, no matter how expensive a setup you eventually gravitate toward, you'll always have some use for a solid, old, inexpensive single stage press.
Old February 21, 2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
Anybody actually use the Lee Classic Loader for rifle cartridges before? I'm very curious as to the opinions/observations of those that have...
Read my post. I guess I should have clarified that I was loading 30-30 Win.
Old February 23, 2008, 01:21 PM   #7
castnblast

I got the lee anniversary kit 2 years ago, (single stage press for my rifle loading - 22-250/7mm rem mag/ 300 win mag) - after selling all my r-l equipment many years ago. I personally would not use a turret press on rifle ammo, mainly because I'm really annal about hand trickling/weighing each shot right down to the exact charge. that being said, I load about 50 rds/hr tops. But that works for me. I build my "stash" up in small increments, and thus it is very precise. Anyway, for what you are describing, I'd go w/ a single stage. It won't take much space, and you can build a small bench. Main thing is have something rock solid, so when you seat your bullets, the seat depth is consistant. PM me if you have more specific questions.