The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2009, 09:05 PM   #26
Keech

Happy with my Kahr PM9

Bought my PM9 about 4 years ago and have fired around 800-900 rounds through it. WWB for practice and Remington Golden Sabres in 124 gr JHP for SD. For a weapon of this size it is accurate and mine has been very reliable. It is a very good handgun for concealed carry.
Keech
Old April 23, 2009, 12:59 AM   #27
Niner4Tango

I horse-traded a .44 mag for a used PM9. It wouldn't return fully to battery reliably when I first got it. I sent it back to Kahr and it's been 100% for about 3-400 rounds so far.

I carry mine without any real worries. Little autos can tend to be fussy. I'm pretty impressed with how well this thing does - for how small it is.
Old April 23, 2009, 01:30 AM   #28
Remow2112

PM9

I carry one all the time. Either CCW or in the car with me. I have had no issues with mine and actually had no failures during the break in period. I have had two experiences with Kahr customer service. Both excellent. I also have a P45 and a PM45. Both which function with out issue.

Look around and you will find haters of all brands of pistol. I myself have never owned a 1911 the did not jam when it got a little dirty. (I am not hating save the mail and attacks. This is just my experience. I still have a Colt compact)
Old April 23, 2009, 01:43 PM   #29
midiwall

this is the thread that wouldn't die. It laid dormant for almost 4 years.

That said.. my other half carries a PM9 - it's an awesome gun.
Old April 26, 2009, 01:41 AM   #30
Orygun_Gunner

The PM9 is my CC gun. It has about 500 rounds through it since I bought it last fall and has been very reliable.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:58 PM   #31
chrisbfd

I originally bought the pm9 for my wife. She actually prefers my s&w 340 revolver, so we traded. I have been shooting mine for over a year and I have had no problems. It was fussy early on with a fast rack, but I don't seem to have that problem now even with hollow points. My glock27 (i know it's a 40) is probably the better gun all around, but the pm9 is so comfortable to carry. I do not now use it at the range since it is a little snappy and I like shooting some others more.
Ya can't beat it for carry
Old November 7, 2009, 11:02 PM   #32
frankjake

Sorry, I know this is a VERY old post but I saw a Kahr PM9 today at my local gun shop while picking up my new Ruger Mark III .22 for plinking.

I love the size of the PM9 but I didn't have time to check it out throughly. I love my glock and was considering a Glock 26. Now it's a toss up between the two.

Has anyone shot or owned both so I can get a real life review?

I also have a Taurus PT24/7 and I absolutly HATE the trigger pull. I love the trigger pull on my Glock and am wondering how the pull is on the PM9. Any newer posts would be welcome by me.
Old November 7, 2009, 11:04 PM   #33
Playboypenguin

I have shot and owned both...would take the PM9 any day of the week if it was going to be a carry gun. Not even a close decision.
Old November 8, 2009, 02:25 AM   #34
dakota1911

I have one and love it. It does have some felt recoil because it is so small and light, but thats physics.
Old November 8, 2009, 12:28 PM   #35
midiwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playboypenguin
I have shot and owned both...would take the PM9 any day of the week if it was going to be a carry gun. Not even a close decision.
Ditto. I own a PM9, and have put a couple of boxes through a G26. I wouldn't give up the PM9 for much of anything. I think that the "Glock Way" carries off better in their larger pistols. For example, I also wouldn't give up my G34 for much of anything.
Old November 8, 2009, 01:29 PM   #36
dreamweaver

i was arget shooting with the local LE and subject of carry guns came up. ended up swapping my pm9 with a baby glock for a few mags. the glock runs well, but the grip is large and the gun is wider than the kahr overall. the glock was uncomfortable in the smart carry i was wearing.
the sherrif wanted to trade for the kahr, glock plus $100, but i turned him down. pm9 is a great carry gun, but it really does need 200-500 round break in. and , despite what the manual saws, it runs better when you "slingshot" the slide.
just my 2c
Old November 8, 2009, 02:19 PM   #37
midiwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
...and , despite what the manual saws, it runs better when you "slingshot" the slide.
fwiw... ditto!
Old November 8, 2009, 04:10 PM   #38
Shawn Dodson

I moved to FL two years ago and found that my Glock 19 was too bulky and heavy for carry when wearing hot weather clothing. I looked at several ultra-compact single stack 9mm handguns and chose the Kahr PM9, primarily because it's essentially a mini-Glock, with identical manual of arms and manipulations.

I'm VERY impressed with its accuracy.

Mine has been 100% reliable right out of the box. I don't know what people are talking about in regard to breaking it in. I load it with 124 +P Gold Dot.

I never disengage the slide lock by hand to put the slide in battery. I use the slide lock only to lock the slide open. As some people have noted the slide frequently does not go completely into battery if you retract and release the slide with a fresh magazine. The problem is easily fixed with a quick palm strike to the rear of the slide. WHY DO I DO THIS? Because all my manipulation techniques involve racking the slide.

I'm very satisfied with my PM9.
Old November 8, 2009, 04:18 PM   #39
F=ma

Quote:
The PM9 is my CC gun. It has about 500 rounds through it since I bought it last fall and has been very reliable.
I have almost identical experience...A few less rounds, but not a single failure. I tend to shoot my 442 a little better, but choose to carry the PM9 almost exclusively now.
Old November 8, 2009, 04:41 PM   #40
IdahoG36

I have said the same thing in numerous PM9 threads. Mine has been 100% reliable right out of the box, is extremely easy and comfortable to carry concealed, and is one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I have ever shot excluding my Hk P7 PSP. I would recommend a PM9 to anybody based on my experience.

I had the same exact experience with my old Kahr CW9, and liked Kahr pistols so much that I sold my CW9 to my brother to help fund the PM9 purchase.
Walther PPS M2 9mm, Ruger LCP 2, GLOCKS- (19, 34, 29 Gen 4, 20SF), Beretta 21A Bobcat, Beretta 92FS .22lr, Beretta ARX 160 .22lr, POF- USA P415 14.5" & P308 14.5", Colt LE6920, IWI X95 OD green, IWI UZI Pro, CZ Scorpion, CZ 455 Varmint .22lr, Kel Tec KSG, 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser CG 1903 M96/38, 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser CG 1908 M96, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary, Tikka T3 CTR .308, Winchester 1200, Weatherby Vanguard S2 .223 Varmint
Old November 8, 2009, 09:52 PM   #41
frankjake

Thanks for all the replies..... I went to another gun show today hoping to at least get a good look at the PM9, but non of the vendors had one.

My local gun shop is closed the next two days, so I'll have to wait. But I'm pretty sure the PM9 is going on my Christmas list.
Old November 9, 2009, 04:27 PM   #42
RepeatDefender

My PM9 is my constant companion, wherever legal here in GA.
Old November 9, 2009, 10:52 PM   #43
orionengnr

I have had a very positive experience with my PM9 and P45.
The PM9 had the "barrel peening" issue when I bought it. Kahr took care of it and I carried it daily for a bit over three years.

I shot it so much better than any of my five j-frames (.38 and .357, steel, aluminum and Scandium) that I sold all of them, and no longer own a j-frame.

After 3 years of daily carry and a lot of rounds downrange, I started carrying the P45 about a year ago. While the PM9 is the perfect balance of pocket carry size and power/capacity, I prefer the .45 acp cartridge and the P45 is light enough to carry IWB effortlessly (I can also pocket carry the P45 in jeans or khakis, but it is pushing the envelope.)

Quote:
...and , despite what the manual saws, it runs better when you "slingshot" the slide.
This has not been my experience at all. The PM9 definitely prefers the slide release, and the P45 could care less. I started by using the slide release many years ago, and I won't own a pistol that will not work reliably using this method.

[thread drift] FWIW, when I bought my first (used) Ruger MkII, it would not feed the first round by hitting the slide release. I posted on several boards and was told "that's just the way they are". Almost sold it. Instead, detail stripped and cleaned it well. It and it's stainless twin both work just fine, as did the MkIII I owned briefly. Moral--don't believe everything you read, especially if it doesn't sound right... [/thread drift]
Old November 11, 2009, 10:13 AM   #44
nad1967

Carried a PM9 for sometime... great little pistol.

Started out with some FTE, but just kept shooting it and it smoothed right up
Old November 11, 2009, 01:56 PM   #45
bikerbill

I've had nothing but good service from my PM9 ... has NEVER failed to fire since new, been carrying it for four or five years and am totally satisfied in every way ... accurate at SD distances, acceptable recoil (I don't shoot +ps) and very easy to pocket carry, which is how I use it most of the year ... I highly recommend it ...
Old November 11, 2009, 08:02 PM   #46
verdun59

I've had a PM9 for years with absolutely no problems. Break in - smeak in - it made no difference it has always run the same.

I've had a Kel-tec P11 and to compare the two is to torture one's mind.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:13 PM   #47
guns and more

My PM-9 is a great gun. Very reliable after the first (for me) 50 rounds.
Small enough for easy concealed carry. I think a bit big for pocket carry.
Snappy recoil but not uncomfortable to shoot. I wish I had ordered mine with night sights.

However, when I got my Sig P-238, the Kahr went into second place.
Smaller, lighter, fun to shoot, little recoil, easy to carry even in a pocket, but it's a .380. I've been converted.
Old November 12, 2009, 09:02 AM   #48
Bandit

Quote:

Posts: 102 this is the thread that wouldn't die. It laid dormant for almost 4 years.

That said.. my other half carries a PM9 - it's an awesome gun.
... 4 year Kahr thread without a "Moonie" post in it I'm impressed.. whoops I was the one who mentioned the Moonies first

Seriously though, I'm extremely pleased with my PM9 and the two other Kahrs I own.. Haven't experience any of the problems that others have noted..

Just my .02 worth
Old December 1, 2009, 03:50 AM   #49
kclawson

PM9

I bought a PM9 about four months ago. I have a Glock 22 .40 cal which I love but is too big to carry as a CCW. I needed a smaller pocket carry gun. For months, I researched all the gun manufacturers and looked at all .380 auto and 9mm guns. Being that I wanted to buy the right gun the first time, researching the guns was important to me. I read everything, watched numerous videos and talked to gun dealers and went to gun shows. I held and examined all the gun options available. I had never heard of Kahr before my research. I also wanted a gun that would fire a decent self defense round. I have to say the PM9 won hands down. The fit and finish is excellent. It flat out looks good - I have the all black DLC model. Weight, balance and size (W, H & L) were big considerations in making my final choice. Quality of workmanship was another important factor. This gun is absolutely fantastic. It is well made and comes with a polished feed ramp on the barrel right out of the box to eliminate jamming drag on the bullet feed. I have put 200 rounds through the gun without a single problem. It is accurate and solid. I did not opt for night sights. Instead, I recently put a Laser Guard (Crimson-Trace / Laser Grip) on my PM9 so I do not need to worry about accuracy vs. only using the sites if I encounter a personal defence situation. The Laser Guard fits well and is still accurate after 150 rounds. The laser is sighted in at 25 feet and is dead on target. It works very well in both day and night application. Great combination if you want to spend the extra money (about $170). DeSantis makes a pocket holster to accomodate the gun/laser combination ($30). It all fits nicely in my pocket, jacket, summer shorts or inside my belt due to it's light weight and narrow dimensions. It goes with me everywhere. I would buy another PM9 in a blink if needed. I enjoy the gun and feel a great sense of security knowing I have a good, reliable and reputable weapon. As a commentary: get your CCW permit if the state in which you reside allows concealed carry. Get yourself legal. Be in compliance with local state regulations to avoid potential legal headaches with law enforcement. Do it right. Good luck with your decision.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:42 AM   #50
Wrothgar

What are the safeties like on the PM series? I looked at pics and I don't see a trigger or grip safety.