The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
hkusp45c_shooter

kimber question

has anyone had experience with the new kimber custom coverts, looking at maybe getting one or a TLE II
Open to suggestions on a new gun maybe g20/29
Old February 10, 2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Todd-OR

I have a fairly new Pro TLE/RL if a 4" opinion works for you.

Kimber machines their 1911's very tight so they do require a break in period.

I'm about 700 rounds into mine, I just replaced my recoil spring (which tends to come slightly under-sprung from Kimber) with a Wolff XP spring and I have no FTF or FTE issues.

I had a few starting out because of the very tight tolerances but theyre all worked out now.

I'd suggest ditching the factory mag too for a Kim-Pro, McCormick, or Checkmate.

Kimber is funny, they're beautiful, well made, well priced for the feature set, and some of them start out finicky but once broken in they're smooth as a baby's bottom.

I forgot to mention...just tonight I pitted my new Kimber 4"-er up against my old Kimber 5"er at 12 yards...totally comparable groupings...almost no difference.

Last edited by Todd-OR; February 10, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old February 10, 2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Oldjarhead

I have the ultra covert. The model is about three to four years old now. Todd-OR is correct, in that Kimbers need a break in. Read your owner's manual carefully about break in.

I had a few issues, but the only thing that needed fixing was a new slide release lever. My gun was experiencing premature slide lock, with rounds still in the magazine. At first I thought it was maybe my thumb resting on the slide release lever. but I discovered that bullet heads were knicking the slide stop portion in the breach. Kimber sent me a "modified slide stop." Problem solved. This was about three years ago when the Covert models were new. It has been a great gun every since.