The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 29, 2005, 12:10 AM   #26
txinvestigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierBreath
Agreed, otherwise why wear a vest? It serves little purpose other than concealment. Anytime I see an open & untucked shirt I think gun, same reason.
You think gun because you carry and are aware of that. Especially around here, the untucked shirt is very common for those who carry and those who do not.

Most people are too busy in their little worlds to worry about what others are wearing.

And I don't know if its just here or what, but every bubba with a pickup wears a vest. lol
Old January 29, 2005, 12:12 AM   #27
Nnobby45

I dress around the gun and I'm a fan of some sort of vest. Some made specifically for CCW. Some are similar to the Safari, or camera vest--some are even a little dressy and look nice. I have light ones for the summer, heavier for cooler weather, and I carry IWB just behind the hip. I never wear anything over the gun buttoned, except in cold weather I may wear a buttoned parka or coat. A back up J frame in the pocket is handy here. If I go into an establishment, I leave the coat in the car and revert to the vest. I can change garments discreetly and quickly with the car door open, Gun side toward the seat, in case I want to change the vest for a coat and walk, or return from walking and revert back to the vest. At most, someone may get a glimpse of a magazine and a Surefire--but not likely. Surprising how un-noticeable they can be against dark clothing. I can carry an empty holster and mag pouch in the vest, and change in the bathroom at the Dr.'s office, or gym (I don't leave a gun in the gym locker, although a small LW J-frame might be an option for the Dr.s office, or the gym if one feels his locker is secure), and arm myself immediately when I reach my car. I'm likely carrying a SIG-228, 229, or 239.
Old January 29, 2005, 12:35 PM   #28
tpdtom

I agree totally that you have to dress around the gun . That being said , what's necessary for you might not work for me . To be more specific , I chuckle when I read about folks trying to conceal Glocks , especially full sized ones , in cheap plastic and nylon holsters . No wonder they thing they can't go IWB and be comfortable . If they tried a Compact 1911 , or a Commander or Officers sized model in an Alessi PCH or a Sparks VM-II , or a little slim Kahr in an Alessi CQC-S for OWB , they would find a new level of comfort . The H&K P7 family is thin and VERY concealable as well . An Alessi ankle holster or a Bodyguard (shoulder holster) are two more options that are great, as are good pocket holsters for J-frames and Kahrs , Kel Tecs , Rohrbaughs , Seecamps and the like . All these rigs will conceal with shorts and a dark colored polo shirt or a t-shirt except the ankle and shoulder holsters obviously .

In earlier posts , people complained about not being able to IWB due to their size . People say that who are large and thin . Either way , there are good solutions out there , but you're not likely to find it in your local gun shop . Custom holster makers like Lou Alessi , Josh Bulman , Matt Del Fatti , Gary Brommeland , Ken Null , and Tony Kanaly from Milt Sparks have SOLUTIONS fellas . Holster factories charging custom prices for production line work are not doing you a favor .

One example of a custom solution . A man 5'11" and 350 lbs. had a huge stomach and virtually no rear end . His pants would barely stay up normally , much less with an IWB and even a light , compact pistol . First he discovered premium belts , then , after talking to Matt Del Fatti he learned that a rig worn ahead of the hip instead of behind it would not pull the pants down like it did worn in the traditional manner . SOLUTION FOUND !!! HAPPY CCW GUY . Nuff said...Tom
Old January 30, 2005, 12:09 AM   #29
V-fib

With a smartcarry holster I can wear anything I want and nobody knows I’m carrying. No brag just fact.
Old January 30, 2005, 03:10 AM   #30
Jeff22

Dressing around the gun is a great way to describe what you're trying to do when carrying concealed. You have to pick a weapon and mode of carry and concealment garments that allow a reasonable balance between concealment and accessibility.
Old January 30, 2005, 09:04 AM   #31
Gonzo_308

It's either a j frame in a pocket rig or an Alessi iwb rig if the pockets wont fit it.

P7M8 in a Milt Sparks iwb under a t shirt or sweatshirt or a Del Fatti under a jacket.

When it's colder and people are wearing more clothing I jump to a USP in a Galco shoulder rig easily reached from under a coat. It sometimes also ends up an alessi CQC owb.

Yup, I spent big money on leather. Nope I aint rich or fancy or showing off. I'm just plain frickin' tired of adjusting myself every time I get in and out of the car or a chair.
Old January 30, 2005, 03:54 PM   #32
38splfan

I prefer...

...an IWB for most days. I can do it with a jacket, an untucked shirt, or an untucked T-shirt if I am careful.

For hunting or woods walking, a vertical holster with S&W .44

For very low-key days, a Charter .38 in IWB @1-2 o'clock. Thing vanishes, even with shorts/t-shirt.
Old February 2, 2005, 12:42 PM   #33
Yowza

For work I always wear either jeans or casual slacks and a tucked in dress shirt. Since I am completely unwilling to make myself less comfortable in the way I dress simply to hide a gun, I just use a Smartcarry. The cool thing about that is I can pick from several different types of gun with one holster.

I've been considering trying to get a nice IWB holster for a while, but I just can't see any way to conceal it without wearing a cover garment which is completely impractical for me most of the time.

Rick
Old March 30, 2005, 09:54 PM   #34
Larry C.

"Mexican" carry. Snubbies

Howdy,

Like 38splfan, I carry snubbie "Mexican style. Either an old Colt Detective Special or a Charter Arms Bulldog-when the danged trigger is working!

Respectfully,
Larry C.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:10 PM   #35
ATW525

I like my 5.11 vest for when I absolutely need to avoid detection. Sure, other people in the know will associate the vest with a gun, but the average person won't.

Open carry is legal here, however, so many times I don't worry too much. Nobody's ever commented on the gun on my belt when I take my jacket off at a restaraunt... most people are suprisingly unobservant. I've even slid my holster off in front of friends at my house and set my gun down without it even registering in thier heads.
Old March 31, 2005, 09:42 AM   #36
DennisD

I use an Uncle Mike’s law enforcement shoulder rig for my S&W 908 when I know I will be wearing a jacket the whole time I’m out of the house. I use a Smartcarry for either my SP101 2.25 inch .357 mag or the 908 when I’m going without a jacket or wearing shorts.
Old March 31, 2005, 11:32 AM   #37
Dilligaf

Quote:
was just wondering how most people conceal their CCW. What types of holsters? Where do you position it? Do you plan your wardrobe around what gun you'll be carrying? Do you ever wear a T-shirt and jeans or is that out of the picture? Do you hide it with a jacket?
For me, it depends on what I am wearing, or more accurately, what I am going to be doing that day and where. If I am going to be in a place or situation where I can wear a covering garment like a jacket or a camp shirt, then I have more option thans if I am going to be in shirt-sleeves, indoors or in a place that needs deeper concealment.

For example:

If I am going to be driving around all day, in and out of my car, then my Galco SSII shoulder holster, my G30 and a cover garment appropriate to the weather is the way I usually go.

If I am at the office where the dress code is more controlled and concealment is a major factor, I have a snubbie in a pocket holster.

If I am in a situation where I need to conceal but the dress code is more relaxed (shopping or whatever) I have a Tucker "Answer" IWB holster that I wear at 4 o'clock than lets me dress to suit the weather and still carry a full-sized weapon like my G21.

During the winter, I have the option of carrying in an OWB holster, also at 4 o'clock and can be covered by a jacket.
Old March 31, 2005, 01:25 PM   #38
tex45acp

For my primary CCW I cover a Galco OWB positioned at 5 o'clock with a busy print pullover shirt or a dress shirt with the tail out when I can.

I always carry a BUG in my right front pant pocket or in an ankle holster. In the office the BUG is my primary.
Old March 31, 2005, 02:30 PM   #39
Any .45

I usaully just where a shirt untucked and a paddle holster for my G17 I have a galco jackass shoulder rig for it as well a for my officers model 1911 I where a Galco concealable, for my SP101 i where it on my ankle in galco ankle holster or in my miltsparks pocket holster(gets a little heavy here). I have a CZ P01 that i love, but I can't find a holser for it so I use a generic uncle mikes IWB for it.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"