The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 18, 2008, 07:28 PM   #26
Deaf Smith

Gaimen,

How about puting a gun IN the Mantle?

Lots of fireplace mantle's slip off their studs. Hollow out a place in it for a loaded 1911!

Or just cut a square piece out of the mantle top, deep enough for your 1911, and then put an edge (or shoulder) on the rim of the square you cut out. Make a like piece of wood to fit over (a top, or lid) and rest on that edge you made. Gun is inside. A vase, with a cloth underneith, is over the 1911s resting place!

What you don't want is a box ON the mantle. That's so obvious any two bit thief will look inside in search of valuables.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:35 PM   #27
Tuckahoe

Leaving your weapons in plain site in your home will help Joe Crackhead steal your prized pistols rifles and shotguns. A nice gun collection in a gun cabinet is an open invitation to be stolen. Don't blame the crooks when your robbed you could have protected your firearms better.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:40 PM   #28
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Don't blame the crooks when your robbed you could have protected your firearms better.
Ummm...I am sorry. I still blame the crooks. A person should be able to leave their belongs out in their own home.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:25 PM   #29
Tuckahoe

We should also be able to walk in a public place at night if we wish without fear of being attacked. However most who can CCW do when in this position. Protection is protection.
Old July 23, 2008, 01:47 PM   #30
Playboypenguin

Quote:
We should also be able to walk in a public place at night if we wish without fear of being attacked. However most who can CCW do when in this position. Protection is protection.
And if a person is attacked do we not blame the attacker?
Old July 23, 2008, 04:21 PM   #31
dm1333

If you can't get your wife to the range and get her some training, get an alarm and a dog. A large dog.

Playboypenguin, you might be the first person I have ever met that has books stored under his sink! I thought I was a book worm but that really takes the cake! Of course, I'm single, with two bathrooms and plenty of books and magazines on the floor of my "reading room".