The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Fox84

Alliant BE 86 powder

Saw some today at my lgs. Sales guy said it is same as Bullseye. Anyone tried any? I passed on it today.
Old January 20, 2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

It's not the same as Bullseye; as far as everything I've heard about it, at least. It's a flash-suppressed powder, for sure. But I believe its burn characteristics more closely resemble Power Pistol - quite a bit slower than B'eye. I think of it as flash-suppressed Power Pistol.

I've never used it. Never even seen it available anywhere. Also, I have no need for flash suppression.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Alliant rep has been a member of The High Road our sister sight. BE-86 is getting rave reviews and the rep mentioned it was a Commercial powder (used by ammo manufacturers) for 30 years and they decided to release it to the public. People are using it about every pistol caliber and they have a running thread over 6 pages thus far about it. Would be nice to hear from womeon here that have used it!
Old January 21, 2015, 02:06 AM   #4
Clark

I have a lot of powders that might get left in the hopper.
By looking under magnification, and smelling the odor, I can differentiate and match to a filled container.

Except Bullseye and Power Pistol. They look the same, they have the same odor. I have to measure density to tell the difference. Power Pistol is denser.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 21, 2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Except Bullseye and Power Pistol. They look the same.
I can attest to that. I know firsthand they appear identical.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:47 PM   #6
LE-28

Quote:
Sales guy said it is same as Bullseye
That sales guy is full of $%@*!

That kind of information is what gets people hurt.

BE does stand for BullsEye but it is much slower burning than original Bullseye. It is Bullseye that has been reformulated.

BE-86 is really close to the burn rate as Unique, really close. It has a flash suppressant which speeds up the burn rate just a little bit from the Power Pistol it is made from. BE-86 is kin to Power Pistol (BE-84) and has, according to Alliant, has been used in higher end factory loads for close to 30 years. They only recently released it to us consumers.

You can read about it here.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760289
Old January 22, 2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Fox84

For $22 a lb, I went back and bought the last 3 lbs. Seems I can load all my pistols with this stuff. I have a couple lbs of Power pistol I might have to load as well.