The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2015, 12:37 PM   #1
McCarthy

Alliant Power Pistol powder

Where - the heck - can I find some? Anybody wanting to part with their stash?
Old January 19, 2015, 01:47 PM   #2
Jay24bal

I have finally seen it on shelves around me in the last 4-5 weeks. Picked up 3 pounds of it when I did see as that will last me about 18-24 months.

I feel your pain, it had been about 12 months since I had seen it, and I was avoiding loading 40 S&W because I only had about 1/4 pound left.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 19, 2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

It pops up from time to time. The great powder shortage seems to be coming to an end, but you still have to be on the ball and ready to act fast if you want to get what you want.

Here in northern California, Power Pistol made several appearances at LGS's in the summer and early autumn (I procured a pound). I haven't seen any in a little while now.

Are you familiar with gunbot? Look there - frequently. This time of year, production focuses on rifle powders. But if you keep an eye out and are patient, you'll score some in time.

What are you planning on using it for? Just curious.
Old January 19, 2015, 02:24 PM   #4
McCarthy

I know gunbot, have a window open 24/7 but haven't seen Alliant Power Pistol powder at all, only a couple unknown pistol powders.

The local gun shops don't carry reloading equipment as far as I have found out. According to reviews they all seem to be pretty small and below mediocre.

Here will be a gun show next weekend and I'll check that out. Last time about 2 month ago I didn't see any pistol powder.

I'm planning on loading up some 10mm rounds for starters. The only caliber worth reloading I have so far. .22 Mag and .500 being the other two.

7.62 NATO will join in a couple month when I pulled the trigger on a new HK MR762A1. But that will be a another setup, powder, everything.

After that I'm willing to pick a more common round for lots of target praxis. Probably .40.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:22 PM   #5
GJSchulze

I have found it twice this year. Once on Gunbot and once at a LGS which happens to be a distributor for Alliant. On Gunbot it was gone in 30 minutes, so I was lucky. Someone at my club told me the LGS had PP, so again I was lucky.

Powder manufacturers make it in batches and each batch isn't large enough to supply every store, which explains it popping up in "random" places and why you need luck. Or you can go to an auction site and pay double or triple the price.

And, no, you can't have mine
Old January 19, 2015, 05:14 PM   #6
sawdustdad

I managed to pick up 4 lbs of Power Pistol after seeing it on gunbot--I think it was Butch's that had it. That was about a month ago--mid Dec 2014.
Old January 19, 2015, 05:28 PM   #7
LE-28

Quote:
Anybody wanting to part with their stash?
I really feel bad for you guys. I have lots and around my parts it is coming in reliably now. The only Alliant powder I can't get right now is the magnum powders (300MP and 2400). All the rest is I can get just about anytime. They even have the new copper fouling reducing rifle powders. I don't see Unique very often but my LGS has a really good supply of BE-86 which in my opinion is better anyways. Same heat range, same properties, and actually meters really well so I don't care if I ever see Unique again.

As far as parting with some of mine? If I could send you some I would. I have a friend on another forum that can't get BE-86 and if I could send him 5 lbs of it I would. Easy for me to get.

But that is illegal as hell for me to send it through the mail, and I'm not driving to Alabama to give it to him.

Hang on though, the shortage is on it's way out. Alliant is doing a lot better than Hodgdon is as far as catching up. Hodgdon is squeaking some out though, I saw 30lbs of Titegroup, Long Shot, Both the CFE rifle and Pistol, and several others, on the shelf of my LGS the last time I was in there. I seen Alliants offerings come and go, but this is the first Hodgdon's I've seen in a coon's age.
Old January 19, 2015, 06:25 PM   #8
McCarthy

@LE-28

So what does it take for a regular person to send some powder or primer via UPS ground to a friend? Is that not allowed in all circumstances? Is it a matter of state laws? Federal? What is needed? A license?

I have plenty of friends and family in NC, used to live in Carolina Beach.

Heck I'd only need 2 lb, would get me through for 3 months.
Old January 19, 2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Clark

I bought a pound of Power Pistol 13 years ago.
It is half used up.
When the late Randy Ketchum had a gun store, Lynnwood Guns, I would stop by and ask stupid questions about how to do gunsmithing. It was alway good to buy something. So I would buy at pound of powder. I have enough Power Pistol for the next 32 years.

Just because hoarding is a mental illness, it doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't.
Link below same as pic above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Pistol Pounds 1-19-2015.jpg (115.4 KB, 383 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 19, 2015, 07:37 PM   #10
McCarthy

Do you need a stick for that carrot?

I have a lot of time on my hands. Mix that up with my OCD and I'll get my stack together. A nice collection of the finest powders around!
Old January 19, 2015, 08:02 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

You mean like this (note the two containers of Power Pistol)?. . .

They're not all in view, but there's 28 containers. The first nine from the left are partials - they've been opened. The remaining (everything to the right of the HS-6 - starting with Bullseye), are unopened. Except for the old 296 down at the end (from 1987); it's been opened. And there's an unopened one behind it. I rarely use 296, so they sit way back in the corner

Last edited by Nick_C_S; January 19, 2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old January 19, 2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Wreck-n-Crew

"sigh" Powder -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- again...
Old January 19, 2015, 08:37 PM   #13
McCarthy

Candy store! Uncontrolled drooling just kicked in.

I think I'll finish up the evening by taking my laptop, going to bed, locking at reloading room pictures and further extending my Excel wish list.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:20 PM   #14
hartcreek

McCarthy

If you would tell us what pistol powders you have available locally I am sure that someone here could tell you how you might be able to use them.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:53 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I'm planning on loading up some 10mm rounds for starters.
Well, Power Pistol is a natural for 10mm Auto; that's for sure. It works great for 165's and 180's. I have a couple recipes for both and they scream without getting near published max data. I haven't tweaked and refined the recipes yet; as I have other irons in the fire. But they're good loadings as they are now.

We'd like to hear more specifics - what bullet? What weight? Purpose (general shooters; high power practice; self-defense)? What gun is going to shoot them? Barrel length?

What powders do you currently have? What might you be able to get? Why did you specifically mention Power Pistol, as opposed to other powders?

Let us know. We might have some work-around ideas.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:25 PM   #16
McCarthy

Well this is the first time for me. And I don't have any specific goals. I decided to get into reloading just for fun. I had a pretty upbeat life until recently and I am looking forward to this new, chill and kinda repetitive hobby. I'm missing routine in my life. If that makes any sense.

I also like high quality tools and craftsmanship. I'll write my own reloading recipes. Might be reinventing the wheel but I always liked to make my own experiences.

For now I have Rainier LeadSafe 135 gr Bullets on my list. They are cheap at Cabelas. CCI #300 large pistol primer obviously. I saved about 800 brass from a couple years ago. Power Pistol has the potential to load all the way up to max. I'm owning a G29 right now but will add a 20 with Lonewolf barrel for longe sessions at the range. I'm a 10mm fan since Miami Vice. Wish Vltor wouldn't be so dumb. Maybe I'll get my hand on a Bren at some point.

So I'll roll a couple dozen, go to range with Chrono, keep books, come back home and adjust until I have rounds for cheap target, HD and high-power plinking.

Repeat with next caliber. Establish and keep a nice stock of all kinds of ammo. At the end of the day we are all collectors.

I don't like shortcuts, workarounds, substitutes or compromises. I'd rather pay double for the powder brand and type I'm looking for right now until availability is back to normal and I can stock up.

I'll keep an eye on gunbot for a couple more days and also on this thread. If nothing reasonably priced shows up I'll get it at gunbroker.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:40 AM   #17
Nick_C_S

I have Glocks 29 & 20 (both sf's - short frame). And I have Lone Wolf barrels for both.

The 135g bullet is awfully light; even for 40 S&W, much less 10mm Auto. The "native weight" for 10mm is the 180g; but 165's and 200's work well too. I would discourage anything lighter.

The lighter the bullet, the more the powder behaves like it has a slower burn rate. If I were loading with 135g bullets (not that I would), I would actually look toward a faster powder than Power Pistol. I would even consider something like AA2. Power Pistol won't like 135g slugs unless you really put the pedal to the metal - which I would also discourage.

I know free advice is worth every penny. But my recommendation would be to consider 165g bullets; or better yet, 180's.
Old January 20, 2015, 02:58 AM   #18
transtech

Alliant Power Pistol availability

As of right now, the instant I am typing this post, before midnight 1/19/15 Monday night Pacific time, the Recob's Target Shop website shows Power Pistol one pound canisters in stock, ready to ship @$18.09 each (reasonable), add shipping charges & the $28.50 haz-mat fee to your purchase total, in stock right now but who knows for how long. Good powder in a few different cartridges. Here's a link, scroll down the page: http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,5.html
Old January 20, 2015, 03:44 AM   #19
IdahoG36

Thank you for the link transtech! I was able to purchase the last 2# thay they had, which is all I was looking for anyways. Also got an 8# container of IMR 4064 from them as well. I am good to go for awhile now!
Old January 21, 2015, 02:05 PM   #20
McCarthy

Just bought 2 lb Alliant Bullseye for my first loads together with 165 and 180 bullets.

Cabelas still has some Bullseye, also Red Dot and Unique:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...src=AFF&rid=10

Last edited by McCarthy; January 21, 2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old January 21, 2015, 03:12 PM   #21
Nick_C_S

McCarthy, Good job picking up the Bullseye!

Now remember that B'eye is not for hot rounds. It'll make great general shooters, but won't deliver screaming velocities. It will work for both 165's and 180's, but is more "balanced" with the 165's.

It's important to understand how heavy bullets (the 165's, yes; but especially the 180's) over fast powders (like Bullseye) behave. It has the advantage of good, crisp burns that run clean and tend to be consistent. But the disadvantage is that the pressure curve will be steep. What this means is that at some point in the load work up process, small increases in powder will result in exponential increases in pressure. This is why you want to do your work ups in small increments. You'll be fine; I'm not trying to scare you. I just have the impression that you're a novice loader, so I'm stressing the importance of approaching your work ups with the care that it requires.

Bullseye won't deliver the velocities as Power Pistol. But I think you'll make some great shooters. I would much rather "settle" with a powder faster than ideal, than slower - all day.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; January 21, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old January 21, 2015, 04:35 PM   #22
McCarthy

@Nick_C_S

Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated! And yes, I'm a complete novice. All I know is out of books and forums; no experience yet.

I know that Bullseye will not deliver they same velocities. I was just glad to find a powder that is in stock, has many references in 10mm loads in my Lyman book and is at least not a "softy".

The exponential increases in pressure is a nice challenge, I like that. I'll do small steps. Boring average constellations aren't for me. I would lose interest soon.

As soon as Power Pistol shows up I'll also buy that.
Old January 21, 2015, 05:52 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

After you find your Power Pistol, your Bullseye won't just sit on the shelf. There's always a use for Bullseye. It could be the most popular handgun propellant - ever.

Load safe.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:37 PM   #24
LE-28

Quote:
So what does it take for a regular person to send some powder or primer via UPS ground to a friend?
I don't know what kind of license it takes to be able to send it but I was told on another forum that we, as normal people, can't send gun powder anywhere without a federal license of some kind.

You could look for BE-86 also. It's like power pistol with a flash suppressant. It has a burn rate very similar to Unique which is a little faster than Power Pistol but it's almost the same,but meters very well like Power Pistol does. BE-86 is a Power Pistol makeover. Power Pistol was called BE-84 before it was released to the consumer market. It is getting as easy to get as Power Pistol where they are available.
You can read about what Alliant had to say about it on this post on THR.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760289