The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2015, 08:00 PM   #51
BigJimP

I've used a 650 for a long time...and I load a lot of 9mm ( 16,000 a yr at least )....and I'm not sure what is causing this issue.

a. I use Dillon case lube all the time / and I only use Dillon carbide dies. It just makes the press run a lot smoother.

b. Dillon might have made a mistake...I'd wait until you get the new insert / see if it makes a difference..../ but breaking shell plates is way over the top too much effort being expended.

I'm wondering if you don't have something else wrong on the press.../ center bolt too tight / or something....
Old January 16, 2015, 10:27 PM   #52
LipscitzWrath

Alright guys, needed to report here.

New shellplate and die came in the mail today. MY GOD, what a difference. That Dillon CSR must have nailed it on the head.

Effort is down to a minimum. Sure, since it's range brass, you can definitely tell when a piece of brass coming out of a loose chamber comes across, but man, it has got to be like a quarter of the effort even when one of those gets in there.

They are all case gaging just fine now. I ran some of the 9-380 (lol) brass back through and it us coming through clean too.

It seems this might have just been solved.
Old January 17, 2015, 04:25 PM   #53
BigJimP

Nice to hear it was an easy solution ! Dillon's folks are easy to work with !
Old January 18, 2015, 08:02 PM   #54
TailGator

Good to hear that you got it straightened out, and that Dillon treated you well.
Old January 18, 2015, 08:10 PM   #55
LipscitzWrath

Yeah I can honestly say that I haven't experienced customer service like theirs in a long time, maybe ever. So far I have had to call them three times. Each time, less than a minute hold if it doesn't go straight to a human. I explain what happened, and they send out new parts. Less than 5 minutes on the phone each time.

For those that have wondered if their customer service was just hype, I can tell you it's not. And, as demonstrated here, they know their stuff. You're not going to get some outsourced operator on the phone that is going to go through canned messages being fed to them from a computer screen, you are going to get a Dillon tech that probably owns and uses the products you are calling about.

Their customer service is truly as good as everyone says it is, and a rare gem in the world today.

Back when I bought this press years ago, I battled red vs blue. I'm glad I went blue.
Old January 20, 2015, 07:01 PM   #56
mr.snakeman

I have been following this thread with interest and would like to share my experiences. For over 20 years I have collected discarded brass from ranges here in and around Stockholm. Many, many kilos worth and most of it Swedish m39b berdan primed military brass. Most of my collecting colleagues have rejected these in favor of the much more easily loaded boxer primed commercial brass, leaving much more for me. Early on I was able to develop a fast method to remove the old primers but the biggest problem was bulgy brass due to the fact that much of the brass was leftover from submachine gun and Glock usage. After resizing with RCBS carbide sizing dies only about 30% would seat properly in my Walther P88 barrel (the tightest chambered-if they fit in it, they will fit all my 9mm barrels). My solution was to purchase a Case Pro 100 which rolled all the brass back to SAAMI standard. Now it is very rare that a case doesn´t chamber. Expensive? Yes, but it has paid for itself over the years with the thousands and thousands of casings saved. Do a range, club or group buy to spread the cost. A few tips: (I do this during the long winters here when frozen backstops prevent range usage) first sort by head stamp and case length all your pick-ups. This also gives you the chance to reject casings that are too far gone for usage. After this step is when I remove the berdan primers. Then thoroughly clean all the brass before resizing/depriming or running through the Case Pro 100. If you have a problem with bulgy brass and don´t have access to a Case Pro 100, during reloading try taper crimping with the LEE Carbide factory crimp die #LEE 90860. Haven´t tried it myself but many others say it helps. Hope this helps.