The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2013, 09:17 PM   #26
salvadore

[QUOTEdeveloping children can be severely affected again if the lead is ingested.][/QUOTE]

So I should stop trying to get my 8 year old Grand daughter to cast for me?
Old April 2, 2013, 04:59 AM   #27
Doc Hoy

Because I am retired Navy...

...I can get medical testing done, almost just by asking for it.

I mentioned to my caregiver that I do a lot with molten lead, that I handle lead more than the average bear. I asked what the hazards are and how does one test to see if I need to be concerned.

She ordered a blood test and the results were that my lead levels are smack in the middle of the normal range.

I have a faculty member working for me who is a medical doctor. He validated my caregiver's test and when I gave him my results he stated that my level was completely normal.

When I cast or smelt, I certainly could use stricter precautions. I always work in a ventilated area with cross ventilation. I don't always use a mask. I wash my hands carefully after casting or smelting, but not during the process. I never use gloves. For me, gloves make the process more dangerous due to the risk of spillage.

I have eye protection which I think is important.

I recommend that anyone who decides to do their own bullets be far more prudent than I am. I am too fool-hearty for my own good. It is just the way I am.
Old April 2, 2013, 12:55 PM   #28
Rigmarol

Quote:
So I should stop trying to get my 8 year old Grand daughter to cast for me?
LOL!!

My grandaughter love to help me in the shop. She is 3 and likes to lube bullets for me. She is amazing! I let her do it for about 20 bullets then we have to go wash our hands. But no, no casting for her yet...
Old April 2, 2013, 12:58 PM   #29
Rigmarol

Doc, I get my blood tested every year. Always comes in normal or a little bit below.

I just told my Dr. I needed it for work. He didn't question me about it.

If anyone already gets blood work done it's simple to add.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:43 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
I am too fool-hearty for my own good. It is just the way I am.
You and me both.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #31
bedbugbilly

Try calling around to some of your local junk/salvage yards (if you have any) and ask #1 - do they have any soft lead? or #2 - do they have any lead from scrapped out lead sheathed cable? I used to buy salvage lead from a local junk yard that was from lead sheathed cable - soft and worked well for casting. It can be a little dirty but that will be taken care of when you melt it down and flux it - I always use a small pellet of beeswax for flux and it works great. And yes . . . . I do all of my lead melting/casting in a well ventilated area.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 3, 2013, 07:34 PM   #32
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigmarol
Lead has no vapors until it gets to boiling temp which my Lee pot is incapable of doing.
I disagree. Does water have to reach boiling temperature before any water evaporates? The boiling point is simply the temperature where the stuff's vapor pressure equals the atmospheric pressure. It's not like there is zero vapor pressure below the boiling point.
Cast in a well ventilated area and try to sit upwind of the casting pot.

Lead is not an accute poison but it is cumalative, it slowly builds up in your body. There is no threshold of safety. The less your body absorbs, the better.
Cyanide is exactly the opposite, one of the most accute poisons known, yet a sub lethal micro dose does no apparent harm, which is fortunate because traces of it exist naturally in some nuts and fruit pits.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Hardcase

B.L.E., the vapor pressure of lead at the temperatures we work with is so vanishingly low that there is virtually no vapor present beyond maybe a centimeter from the melt.

For lead, the vapor pressure at 700 degrees F is about .0000001mm Hg.

You can't compare the behavior of liquid water and liquid lead because their vapor pressures are completely different at their melting points. At the melting point of water, 32 degrees F, water has a vapor pressure of 4.5mm Hg. At lead's melting point, it's vapor pressure is 10e-8mm Hg.

For comparison, water and lead at a boil have vapor pressures of 760mm Hg (one atmosphere).

A commercial lead pot isn't able to head the lead up to a temperature that would cause harmful levels of lead vapor. You'd have to approach a couple of thousand degrees, I think.

On the other hand, if you're melting wheel weights, all the nasty crap that those things are crusted in ought to be worrisome - lord knows what kinds of carcinogens and toxic gasses are in that smoke.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:35 PM   #34
deerslayer303

Quote:
On the other hand, if you're melting wheel weights, all the nasty crap that those things are crusted in ought to be worrisome - lord knows what kinds of carcinogens and toxic gasses are in that smoke.
Indeed. When I'm processing scrap lead I wear a 3M half face respirator with appropriate filters even outside. But when I'm just working with the little Lee 10LB pot I don't wear any respiratory protection, I just ensure good ventilation.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:19 PM   #35
Rigmarol

When I render my scrounged lead into ingots, I always do it outdoors in the evening so the cloud of nasty smoke doesn't get the neighbors all worried.

More than one probably think I'm the worst BBQ cook that ever lived...

Hardcase, thanks for the info, good stuff.

B.L.E. you keep right on disagreeing with me, I need to be kept on my toes!
Old April 4, 2013, 05:40 PM   #36
Nick S.

I add sinkers one at a time & step back. Most of the sinkers have been in the garage for years & seem very dry. Now the ones with little barnacles still attached, they tend to pop a bit. I crush the barnacles first now. Smells like a clam bake, especially when I spray the molds with cooking spray as a mold release.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #37
Rigmarol

I've melted moist or wet wheelweights before, just dump them all in the big pot (cold pot!!!) turn on the propane turkey frier, and it all steams away long before the lead begins to melt. The big no no is to add wet material to already melted lead.

You can pour a cup of water into your lead melt and all you will get is angry steam. Drop the cup of water into the mix so it goes under the surface and you will have a nice steam powered molten lead grenade!

Now, barnacles are new to me... I'll take your word on dealing with them.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:07 PM   #38
Scottish Highlander

With regards to lead , my job is a plumbing and heating engineer and it includes installing lead sheet valleys and other lead sheeting which I do regularly...... I was always told to use barrier cream on your hands to prevent ingress of it through the skin. Its a personal preference if you want to in my eyes but I dont think it is harmful. Injesting it is a NO NO
Old April 6, 2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Rigmarol

I would use a barrier cream or nitril gloves if I worked with it all day and got scratches or had open wounds ( working mans hands). Just wash the paws before eating and smoking.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:13 PM   #40
Doc Hoy

I think....

...That is good advice.

I m told by an M.D. that apart from eating it, as a child does in the case of lead paint chips, physical contact is the thing to worry about.

I tried nitrile gloves unsuccessfully in other gun smithing activities. They just don't last. But it is probably because I am using a low quality style glove.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:57 PM   #41
44 Dave

I have all of the plumber's tools, including the asbestos running rope. The last lead joint I poured was 3 years ago.
Let me tell you my furnace and pot will get lead from cold to pouring temp. in about 7 minutes.
I use gloves when ladle or mold handles get too hot or adding lead to the pot, but do wash hands in cold water, which closes the pores, when finished.
The old plumber from whom I got the tools told me a story about his helper reclaiming lead and throwing some lead that had water in it in the pot . It sent hot lead all over the windshield of his van, which pitted the glass. Luckily no one got splashed.
Just yesterday I got given 165# of old lead pipe.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:55 PM   #42
oldflathead

3,000 pounds of lead

OK, we finally have the lead keel off the sailboat.
I am too busy to process it, so you can have it all or at least 20# chunks cheap + shipping from 32507 or we will take it to recycle for $.0.81 per pound.
25% of your donation/purchase price will go to HOW,(Heroes on the Water), Emerald Coast Chapter. If you are not aware of HOW, search it.
Semper Fi

[email protected]

May God bless those who have given their lives for our Freedom on this 2013 Memorial Day. Any Patriots in our area, 32507, who wish to join us on Memorial Day, 27 May, 1600 on, please do so. We have a bunch of venison barbeque to share and tales of heroes who gave all for America.
E mail for our street address.

Sgt. Tom
Old May 27, 2013, 12:45 PM   #43
Rigmarol

Sarge, I sure wish we didn't live on opposite coasts! I'd love to pick up some lead chunks.

Thanks for the offer anyway.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:00 AM   #44
Ricklin

Your Dentist!

Many dental offices still use film, vs. the digital systems.
The lead foil in the film packets is dead soft. The dentist has to pay to get rid of it. Offer a receipt for the scrap lead for his records.

Best to tell a little white lie and say you need it for fishing sinkers.

Keep an eye out for hospitals or health facilities being demoed or remodeled. The x-ray rooms have lead sheeting in the walls. Contrary to popular belief there is NO radiation absorbed or stored in the lead.
(Additional hint, if the guys tearing the stuff out think there is radiation in the lead, who are you to correct them?) wink wink nudge nudge

Note: the above applies to X-ray rooms only, nuclear medicine shielding MAY be different. I have no personal experience with that.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:59 AM   #45
Edward429451

Quote:
I disagree. Does water have to reach boiling temperature before any water evaporates? The boiling point is simply the temperature where the stuff's vapor pressure equals the atmospheric pressure. It's not like there is zero vapor pressure below the boiling point.
Cast in a well ventilated area and try to sit upwind of the casting pot.
vapor is a bad terminology for lead. When lead is "fuming" it can be absorbed through the skin Lead is a toxic material with a low melting point (621˚F) and boiling point (3164˚F). Lead fume generation starts when lead is heated to about 900˚F. The fume generation increases as the temperature increases. Casting is done usually between 650-700° F.

This makes casting relatively safe.
Old July 20, 2013, 08:16 PM   #46
oldflathead

Lead is heavy

Y'all know that. We still have that sailboat keel, ready for some smart fellow $

Bring your saw to Pensacola and cut a chunk or take the whole 3,000 pounds for a great price. Asking the daily market rate for lead.

[ATTACH]keel fwd.jpg[/ATTACH]

Tom 850 572 1225
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keel side.jpg (244.2 KB, 14 views)
Old August 16, 2013, 08:43 PM   #47
oldflathead

Lead keel has been sold

Thank all of you Patriots!
I have enjoyed your comments and appreciation.
We shook hands on a deal with Ron from Niceville, Fl for the entire 3,580 pounds. He makes fishing weights, etc.

If you are ever in the Florida Panhandle, AKA "Baja Alabama", stop and see us on Bayou Chico. Send a PM or call.

May God Bless You as he has blessed America.

Tom