The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2019, 03:47 PM   #1
MC_MuHyeon

Custom GP100 export possible to South Korea?

Hi. I am from South Korea and I've recently been registered as an ISSF 25m centerfire shooter at Korean Sport & Olympic Committee. What I need to do now is buy a gun chambered in .32 S&W long (only this cartridge is allowed for competition in my country; no .38 special or 9mm).

I would like to buy a custom GP100 chambered in .327 federal magnum with a half-lug barrel, all stainless steel and a target grip whose shape complies with ISSF rules. I've looked for several gun exporting companies like Gibraltar Arms, but with little success. Can anybody give a good piece of advice on how to buy the gun that I want?

Thank you for reading.
Old June 25, 2019, 04:54 PM   #2
gbclarkson

Hello, and welcome to the forum. The absence of replies suggests your question is a tricky one; and I have no answer for you, either. I would suggest going to Bud's Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com). At the top of their home page there is a Customer Q and A link for you to ask your question. Buds may have the ability to ship to S. Korea or, maybe, they can offer a referral to you.

Good luck.
Old June 25, 2019, 05:56 PM   #3
10-96

Best of luck to you in all things! https://simpsonltd.com/ mentions import and export on their main page.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 26, 2019, 04:48 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations on getting into the shooting sports, and welcome to TFL!

I don't have an answer to your questions, but it looks like the other posters have given you a couple of good links to get your questions answered.
Old June 27, 2019, 09:29 PM   #5
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_MuHyeon View Post
I would like to buy a custom GP100 chambered in .327 federal magnum with a half-lug barrel, all stainless steel and a target grip whose shape complies with ISSF rules. I've looked for several gun exporting companies like Gibraltar Arms, but with little success. Can anybody give a good piece of advice on how to buy the gun that I want?
Greetings, and welcome.

As far as I can tell, there is no stainless steel Ruger GP100 that would meet your criterion, either custom or standard. This would be my recommendation. Get a blued GP100 half lug. Have it slicked up and accurized, then have it hard chromed at Mahovsky's. Hard chroming looks like stainless steel, and it resists corrosion like stainless steel, but it doesn't scratch and it it's so hard that it lasts virtually forever. With a Rockwell C hardness rating of 71, it will resist holster wear. It also is so thin that it can be applied to the gun's barrel. Metaloy is the best known hard chroming, but it's very expensive. Mahovsky's is far less expensive, but check out your options.

Good luck.

My Beretta 70S gets a lot of attention at gun ranges
from people W who say, "I didn't know Beretta made
That in stainless steel!" This was done my Mahovsky's.

--

Last edited by Stargater53; June 27, 2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old June 28, 2019, 12:43 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...no stainless steel Ruger GP100..." Assuming you can get .327 ammo and/or brass, look into a Regular SS GP100 in .327 and buy custom grips. Mind you, you really don't need custom grips. Shot a GP100 with a trigger job and nothing else in ISU bullseye matches, the forerunner of ISSF, for eons.
If you want to shoot .32 S&W Long in bullseye competition, you'd really be better with a pistol vs a revolver. Pardini, Morini, Hämmerli, Benelli, and Walther, among others, but chambered for wadcutter bullet type all make 'em. High end expensive kit though.
https://www.carl-walther.com/product...t-pistols.html
Old June 28, 2019, 04:12 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

Just out of curiosity,,,

Just out of curiosity,,,
What handguns are being used currently?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 28, 2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Stargater53

I don't know what's wrong with the people at Ruger, but a 40-ounce .327 Magnum is just another indication that Ruger just can't keep itself from designing horrendously-heavy firearms. I just finished reading about its 8-shot Redhawk and thought how much I'd love to carry it along the Appalachian Trail (for two more shots, I'd leave my Security-Six at home in a heartbeat!).

At first, I thought it might be the investment casting process, but no, the Security-Six wasn't a boat anchor by any means. Then I thought it might be the recoil, but Skeeter Skelton wrote quite a bit about the gun and never once complained about the recoil. But how about the blast? That doesn't male sense, either, because the blast is the same regardless of the recoil. So I find myself back at square one and am waiting for an 11-shot Redhawk 22LR with a 7.5-inch underlug barrel and muzzle break. Of course I'll need a good shoulder holster for it, and am expecting the requisite great reviews from the paid shills on the magazines. It's too bad because I can remember when those guys worked with gun manufacturers to produce great firearms.

Those were the days!

--

Tags
.327 , competition , export , gp100 , issf