The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2019, 05:42 PM   #1
327 FM

S&W 686 3 inch

Has S&W ever fixed the barrel situation with the newer guns?
Old June 23, 2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Stargater53

What barrel situation?
Old June 23, 2019, 09:36 PM   #3
DMY

Yes, but it took 2 trips back to customer service to do so. I know your question relates to a NIB, so the answer to that question is no. I really tried to be diligent in checking mine out before putting my money down. All of the original lines were perfect. After the second trip to CS, it shoots straight, but the underlug at the yoke end no longer lines up with the receiver.
Old June 23, 2019, 09:40 PM   #4
DMY

P.S.: Same thIing happened to my 325 Thunder Ranch which went back last Monday. Bottom line - you can check the lines and see they are strsight. It doesn't mean the POI is the same as the POA.
Old June 24, 2019, 05:20 PM   #5
dontcatchmany

I got the 686 Plus TALO version about a month ago.

The first thing I looked at was the barrel....no problem. Put on a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip. Took it shooting the next day after cleaning and the first shot at 8 yards was dead center of the red 10 ring.

Has approximately 500 rounds of 38 special and 357 magnum through her with most being 357 Mag of all grains. Recoil, even with some +P 357 mag was hardly notice.

Excellent handgun and now I am thinking of getting a 2.5 inch version after I get an already ordered IWB holster and see how the 3" carries.
Old June 25, 2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Rock Hammer

S&W

Nooooooo. Just bought 2 ....629's and they are both junk.....both brand new.... can't trust smith anymore....S&W is now at Chinese level junk don't waste your money ....

Last edited by Rock Hammer; June 26, 2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old June 25, 2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Nanuk

Quote:
S&W is now at Chinese level junk don't waste your money
Ok, I will take those 629's off your hands. I will even pay shipping.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 26, 2019, 08:53 AM   #8
ms6852

I just bought one about 10 months ago, first time I've heard of a "barrel problem". Would you please elaborate .
Old June 26, 2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Rock Hammer

Look down the barrel from the muzzle end and see if it's straight...both mine are crooked.....went to a large gun store and checked a bunch of others as well and they too were crooked.......make sure it's not loaded

Last edited by Rock Hammer; June 26, 2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old June 26, 2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Nanuk

Quote:
Look down the barrel from the muzzle end and see if it's straight...both mine are crooked
Bent or canted? Either way send it back to S&W on their dime and they will fix it.
Old June 26, 2019, 08:29 PM   #11
Rock Hammer

What ever lingo you want to use clocked , canted ,or over turned clockwise it appears it's to hide the fact it was machined incorrectly in the first place the barrel is not in alignment with the frame .....my machinists straight edge showed me this .....they over clocked or canted the barrel to hide this ......you bet they are going back and if they tell me they are with in spec I will refuse return shipment.......if I bought them from a big box store I would ask for a refund.....but I didn't I bought them from a little guy who's fighting for his life, and he has a losing hand....and he's a really cool young Ladd and I want to give him as much of my business as possible and I will burn in hell before I dump on him......I have close to 2 grand in these 629's .....it's between me and S&W ......hopefully they make me proud ....as for my young Ladd ....where he goes I go till the end of my days......Nanuk ....take care....
Old June 26, 2019, 09:46 PM   #12
Nanuk

Its not lingo it is a technical description. I agree that they should not have gone out like that. Contact S&W they will fix them.
Old June 26, 2019, 10:06 PM   #13
Stargater53

Why would S&W put out something like that, and is it only 3-inch barrels?

Most gun owners become aware of issues like that. I've heard of the canted barrels, but I thought S&W had c cleaned up their act.

--
Old June 27, 2019, 11:55 AM   #14
AK103K

I keep hearing that S&W has gone downhill, but I havent experienced it yet. I have both new and old S&W's, and they all have worked great and shoot fine. The only time I ever had any trouble with a Smith and had to send them back, was in the late 90's, when they came out with the 940's.

Ive owned a number of different revolver brands over the years, and the Smiths were always the sweet spot.

I sometimes think people just like to complain.

I currently have a 2.5" 686 Plus, and not to long ago, got rid of another 2.5" 6 shot 686 in a trade. I never noticed the barrels to be off on either of them.

I have a number of others across the generations, 2"-5 1/2", and "sleeved" or standard, they all seem to be lined up pretty good, and they all shoot fine.

When exactly did all these problems start?
Old June 27, 2019, 04:29 PM   #15
CajunBass

I just bought a 686-8, with a 3" barrel, today. I checked. The sight is straight S/N says it was made in 2015.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 27, 2019, 06:29 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

Agreed.

What we know is Ruger hired a bunch of irregulars and then fired all within the last several years. Ruger revolver quality has suffered from it. Additionally, the new GP100 7 shot doesn't fit 7 rounds.

What I've heard and seen is 2 canted barrels from S&W which probably sells more revolvers than any other brand.
Old June 27, 2019, 09:26 PM   #17
Nanuk

Quote:
What I've heard and seen is 2 canted barrels from S&W which probably sells more revolvers than any other brand.
They probably sell more than all the others combined.
Old June 30, 2019, 07:04 AM   #18
shurshot

I guess I got lucky, new .44 S&W 629 Talo snubby, everything PERFECT!
Old July 3, 2019, 07:37 PM   #19
Ibmikey

A select few have complained about S&W....and Colt and Ruger and etc. etc.
I purchased Smith firearms for my police department for approximately twenty five years...revolvers semi auto’s shotguns, hundreds of them...never had a firearm I could not repair and had to send back to S&W. During those years and several ownerships S&W was reported to have had their quality go down hill by those that are never satisfied with anything. I have six S&W revolvers from various years and they all are beautiful pistols.
Old July 3, 2019, 10:37 PM   #20
joneb

My newest S&W revolver is a 696 ND if that tells you anything